Darts Etiquette - Good stuff
I will not shake a players hand until he has pulled his darts from the board.
Where I live, people mostly shake hands before retrieving their darts (unless they are about to fall out, in which they will sprint to the board to get them!). In a few cases, I've seen people get their darts before shaking hands and no one seemed to get offended over it - though I have seen a few raised eyebrows because it goes against the norm here. Personally I don't care whether my opponent shakes my hand before or after getting his darts - as long as he shakes it and does it graciously.

Watching PDC events on TV, it seems to go both ways depending on the emotional state of the winning player. And also, I've never seen anyone on stage get offended in either case.

(10-29-2013, 10:17 PM)Jimbo21 Wrote: I will not shake a players hand until he has pulled his darts from the board.

Why is this, Jimbo? Do you see at as disrespectful if the person turns immediately to shake your hand? I'm not criticizing here - just genuinely curious. This particular etiquette rule seems heavily based on region.
Its not over until the darts are pulled. Besides leaving the winning dart in may be misconstrued as rubbing it in IMO
(10-29-2013, 10:39 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Its not over until the darts are pulled. Besides leaving the winning dart in may be misconstrued as rubbing it in IMO

Fair enough. I've also seen the opposite argument - by getting the darts first the winner is making the loser wait for his handshake and therefore being disrepectful. Seems like you can't win either way! Huh

I guess the proper thing to do if playing in an unfamiliar area would be to watch the locals play a few games first just to get an idea of the local etiquette.
Pull the darts Sir - The players have already bumped or shook hands before the match hopefully. If the winning dart falls out then its not the winning dart now is it.
That last point is very valid Saber as if it falls out the game is still in play but I suppose if the shouter has called game shot the score stands as it has when a few players recently have not hit doubles but the shouted called it Game shot so it stood I suppose the same would be true if it fell out after the call. I have to say I have done both but have only done the latter a few times when on last and its been 4-4 and I hit the winning double I have turned and shook their hand before retrieving my darts but that was because of the pure adrenaline running through my veins and you just don't think. Generally I fetch then first. If I lose however I punch them straight in the face whether they have fetched their darts or not lol only kidding.
[Image: biggun_zpsbb548844.png][/php]
[Image: WCWx6_zpsbcc6fc46.png]
Here in my region, it is considered poor form to leave your darts in the board and shake hands. It is just the way I was taught and the way it seems to have been here for decades.I usually politely tell a player to pull his darts beforee shaking my hand. Some get upset, but 99% of players will pull them out first.
Pull the darts please Sirs!
Upon watching the Darts last night I noticed 75% shook hands before removing their darts after hitting the winning double and Aide Lewis even went for a drink. I suppose it's all different wherever you play I don't care either way to be honest, as it wouldn't offend me either way. I like to see the fist pumps and the passion so if you ever play me just go for it that's if you ever get a shot at a double that is lol
[Image: biggun_zpsbb548844.png][/php]
[Image: WCWx6_zpsbcc6fc46.png]
Always mark your score before pulling your darts. If you have a chalker he has already done your score before you pull. Thats even in the PDC and BDO that I have watched. I may be wrong but thats how I see it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soft Tip Etiquette thpethalK 7 2,554 07-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Red