Jacklin calls for equal pay
Zeyes

Or you could stop trying to demonstrate anything about a whole darts circuit from looking at one game per year. (Or apparently one-half of one game per year now...) Do you honestly not realize how pointless that is? It's the epitome of junk science and misuse of statistics.

I've seen proof positive that 93.4% of internet statistics have no scientific basis and are faked.      I saw this on the internet once. Tongue
(02-07-2018, 11:46 PM)Zeyes Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 11:06 PM)WhiskyPops Wrote: Those 105-111 peaks between 2000 and 2011 will be gone, quite a difference. I can try using the runner up's numbers or just removing Phil's top performances. Still think it will be slightly above BDO level.

Or you could stop trying to demonstrate anything about a whole darts circuit from looking at one game per year. (Or apparently one-half of one game per year now...) Do you honestly not realize how pointless that is? It's the epitome of junk science and misuse of statistics.
First of all, no, I will not stop posting stats, I enjoyed working on this so that's what matters to me. If it is that bothersome, feel free to make a complaint about it to the admins.

Indeed, it is not science, filtering data only shows what ifs and how strongly one score affects the overall result. This data was selected because players need to play well over at least 6 and at most 13 sets, which is long enough to truly show the player's base level, and not just the peaks over 6 legs. The best players of the tournament compete then, and even though there are off days, the trend over many years is there. You could even say that it shows how well players have 'charged' themselves for a big final.

Also, I am not proving anything, just trying to show what is going on over the years.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

(02-07-2018, 11:52 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Zeyes

I've seen proof positive that 93.4% of internet statistics have no scientific basis and are faked.      I saw this on the internet once.
[Image: a7ac859e6390e0387fc808ca33a07684.jpg]
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

(02-08-2018, 12:00 AM)WhiskyPops Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 11:52 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Zeyes

I've seen proof positive that 93.4% of internet statistics have no scientific basis and are faked.      I saw this on the internet once.
[Image: a7ac859e6390e0387fc808ca33a07684.jpg]

Love it.
make the contests a mixed game and make the purse a set number, & however you finish the money is yours. it's how high you finish not what sex you are. sounds fair 2 me.
(02-08-2018, 05:55 AM)William.dyer Wrote: make the contests a mixed game and make the purse a set number, & however you finish the money is yours. it's how high you finish not what sex you are.  sounds fair 2 me.
Isn't the way the PDC do things.
Open to all and if you are good enough you get you tour card and if you're very good you take home the money
(02-08-2018, 10:25 AM)Mike HermThe Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 05:55 AM)William.dyer Wrote: make the contests a mixed game and make the purse a set number, & however you finish the money is yours. it's how high you finish not what sex you are.  sounds fair 2 me.
Open to all and if you are good enough you get you tour card and if you're very good you take home the money

not sure, the few televised competitions I've seen all seem to be same sex, but would like to see some mixed games.
(02-08-2018, 11:02 AM)William.dyer Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 10:25 AM)Mike HermThe Wrote:

not sure, the few televised competitions I've seen all seem to be same sex, but would like to see some mixed games.
Barry Hearn has siad the PDC has always been open to the ladies and Anastasia Dobromyslova has tried to compete with the men in the past

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLBngFYpSTU
thanks for the link, nice to see, and a competitive game to boot. have a good day Mike.
(01-10-2018, 11:31 AM)Mike HermThe Wrote: I remember Anastasia Dobromyslova going over to the PDC and playing against the men ,
As I recall she held he own and even beat Vincent van der Voort,
So I can't see any reason why they can't play on a level par with the men

It was horrible to watch. Anastasia was like a circus act, the main reason she beat Vincent van der Vort was the crowd were on his back. It was like watching a pantomime with every dart he threw being booed and cheers whenever he missed a double.

I felt sorry for Vincent and Anastasia as that wasn’t darts

Noj
Darts are custom made 19g, made for me by David at Double Dee Darts. Great bloke, highly recommended.

Family is the most important thing in my life Heart Heart

54 years old with a body prematurely turning into a corpse
(02-07-2018, 12:40 AM)Zeyes Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 11:22 PM)WhiskyPops Wrote: Perhaps in some years we will talk about how special Ashton's performance this year was for women darts. I do believe she is raising the bar almost by herself currently. Time will tell.

People have been saying that since she first won the title four years ago; there hasn't been much follow-up by the rest of the field. The biggest two problems IMHO are:

1) Even the best players don't seem able to bring the best out of each other consistently. When Ashton/Hedman/de Graaf/Winstanley/Dobromyslova are competing against each other, the match is as likely to end up with low-70s averages as it is  to reach the high 80s. That rarely happens with the best male players - we don't see the likes of MvG and Wright randomly both averaging 87 when they play each other.

2) Even if Ashton is a division leader of sorts, as Taylor was in his prime, her stature and the stature of women's darts as a whole arguably aren't big enough to provide an incentive for young players to aspire to be like her, the way Taylor's did. That "larger than life" aspect is just missing (through no fault of her own).

It's a chicken-and-egg problem, really. Even if Ashton is doing something extraordinary, if people aren't already paying attention to it then it's hard to turn her efforts into something that will make people pay even more attention. That's where the PDC/Matchroom marketing machine could have helped, but I suspect that ship has sailed for women's darts.

It’s a horrible sexist thing to say but women’s darts needs a young good looking girl with darting ability. It would bring media attention and give young girls an aspirational figure to give them the inspiration to try darts. During the women’s matches at the Lakeside the crowd can be disinterested to say the least as the standard can be a bit iffy.

Noj
Darts are custom made 19g, made for me by David at Double Dee Darts. Great bloke, highly recommended.

Family is the most important thing in my life Heart Heart

54 years old with a body prematurely turning into a corpse
(04-09-2018, 08:41 PM)Noj Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 12:40 AM)Zeyes Wrote:
(02-06-2018, 11:22 PM)WhiskyPops Wrote: Perhaps in some years we will talk about how special Ashton's performance this year was for women darts. I do believe she is raising the bar almost by herself currently. Time will tell.

People have been saying that since she first won the title four years ago; there hasn't been much follow-up by the rest of the field. The biggest two problems IMHO are:

1) Even the best players don't seem able to bring the best out of each other consistently. When Ashton/Hedman/de Graaf/Winstanley/Dobromyslova are competing against each other, the match is as likely to end up with low-70s averages as it is  to reach the high 80s. That rarely happens with the best male players - we don't see the likes of MvG and Wright randomly both averaging 87 when they play each other.

2) Even if Ashton is a division leader of sorts, as Taylor was in his prime, her stature and the stature of women's darts as a whole arguably aren't big enough to provide an incentive for young players to aspire to be like her, the way Taylor's did. That "larger than life" aspect is just missing (through no fault of her own).

It's a chicken-and-egg problem, really. Even if Ashton is doing something extraordinary, if people aren't already paying attention to it then it's hard to turn her efforts into something that will make people pay even more attention. That's where the PDC/Matchroom marketing machine could have helped, but I suspect that ship has sailed for women's darts.

It’s a horrible sexist thing to say but women’s darts needs a young good looking girl with darting ability. It would bring media attention and give young girls an aspirational figure to give them the inspiration to try darts. During the women’s matches at the Lakeside the crowd can be disinterested to say the least as the standard can be a bit iffy.

Noj
I get your point, a darting Anna Kournikova. We have seen some young not too bad looking ladies playing and winning. Dobromyslova, although no top model, Mieke de Boer (just look up her adult photoshoot). It would help more than not, but it's not JUST that. Matches are sometimes too boring, especially early games. Even at the BDO WC you can easily get Adams vs Waites.
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Des Jacklin on World Trophy, Leighton Bennett and all things BDO BeegNumba 17 1,278 08-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: oche balboa