When to Start looking at Doubles?
Whatever you do, at least know how to handle 61-100. When I first started out, I was coached to gravitate towards 32, and then a book written by a former world champ (Leighton Rees) told me the same thing. I spent years and years doing just that, and only whatever deity you may believe in knows how many games I cost myself. Sure, my ability to hit D16 and D8 is now surprisingly high for someone whose average leg is about 30 darts, but on the other hand my D20 shooting is consistent with someone who averages 30 points per turn instead of 30 darts per leg.

Once you know 61-100 solidly, expand that to 170. Believe me, when you hit your first three-digit out you'll be the happiest guy in your zip code.

(01-29-2018, 09:55 AM)Berlin180 Wrote: Whatever you do, at least know how to handle 61-100. When I first started out, I was coached to gravitate towards 32, and then a book written by a former world champ (Leighton Rees) told me the same thing. I spent years and years doing just that, and only whatever deity you may believe in knows how many games I cost myself. Sure, my ability to hit D16 and D8 is now surprisingly high for someone whose average leg is about 30 darts, but on the other hand my D20 shooting is consistent with someone who averages 30 points per turn instead of 30 darts per leg.

Once you know 61-100 solidly, expand that to 170. Believe me, when you hit your first three-digit out you'll be the happiest guy in your zip code.
I almost crapped myself today (LOL).

Having a throw with the son and i needed 150. I checked the peg out card because I had no clue on that one, other than T20 T20 and D15, but it suggested T20 T18 D18   Bloody hell, i nailed the T20, hammered in the T18 and then wired the bottom wire to get 18 instead of D18. So damn close and my head grew 6 inches wider. Next time i will get the damn thing....RAFLMAO.
Datadart Orion 25gms - Med Pro Grip Shafts - Ten X Flights

I'm a very average darts player but I know my outshots very well from 170 down and start to think about it from around 270 in the hope I could hit something decent and leave myself on a finish and avoid any duds. Unfortunately for me my brain is better at darts than may hand but as I improve (which I am, slowly) the knowledge of these routes will be hugely beneficial. The amount of times i've asid to my brother 'you should've started on 19's from 126' is unreal but it just doesn't stick.

A lot of it probably comes down to an active interest in the way Pro's finish, watching over the years it's always intrigued me why players go certain ways and I enjoy working out the method in the apparent madness.

I have managed a few 100+ outs in my time so it does help me, think my highest is 117 but I have wired bull for a 167, it's quite a good feeling nailing a ton plus outshot so always worth having a go.
(01-30-2018, 02:16 PM)gaz12321 Wrote: I'm a very average darts player but I know my outshots very well from 170 down and start to think about it from around 270 in the hope I could hit something decent and leave myself on a finish and avoid any duds. Unfortunately for me my brain is better at darts than may hand but as I improve (which I am, slowly) the knowledge of these routes will be hugely beneficial. The amount of times i've asid to my brother 'you should've started on 19's from 126' is unreal but it just doesn't stick.

A lot of it probably comes down to an active interest in the way Pro's finish, watching over the years it's always intrigued me why players go certain ways and I enjoy working out the method in the apparent madness.

I have managed a few 100+ outs in my time so it does help me, think my highest is 117 but I have wired bull for a 167, it's quite a good feeling nailing a ton plus outshot so always worth having a go.

This is the right attitude to have I'd say.

Another thing that it's advisable to do is start having danger numbers in mind. An alarm should go off any time you start a visit on numbers like 226 and 266. With no extra skill but a little extra forethought you can leave a finish rather than a bogey.

For example, I have started on 19's on 266 in the league an hit T19, S19 then switched without stopping to thing to 20s and hit a single to leave 170. No, I didn't take out the 170 but the message it sends your opponent, if they are paying attention, is "this guy knows what he is doing". It takes no more skill to hit 96 as opposed to 100 but these two numbers send different messages in this situation.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Heres a similar thread that might have some info Similar thread
[Image: oz1OCc3.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions about dart weight to start with Ginbr 3 2,374 09-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Leaky