Broken point - help needed
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=18598
With uncoated darts I would go the alum-way, cause it seems to be much faster than vinegar.
Good luck!
I’ll post a link for the Alum powder I used, 100 gram bag is more than enough for the job and cheap as chips.
Enter Alum Powder on EBay, the one I used was Fakdadi. Just bring around a pint of water to the boil, dissolve the powder into it.
Put in the barrel/s and keep just boiling ( top up regularly ) and when the stream of bubbles from the affected barrel stops it’s done. I think mine took 4-5 hours.
DO NOT USE A STEEL SAUCEPAN AS IT WILL BE DISOLVED and use a plastic spoon too or it will become stained.
[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(12-24-2017, 10:28 PM)Zaza Wrote:
(12-24-2017, 10:09 PM)elevendarter Wrote:
(12-24-2017, 11:58 AM)Zaza Wrote: Hi Nutz,

Yesterday i received my new Silver Mustang darts and played with them for 15 minutes.
I really like them, the only issue was that the smooth points would not stick in my Gladiator board, so I decided to repoint them with Diamond points.

Undortunately, the first point snapped when I tried to remove it, very close to the barrel.

Does it mean that the original point snapped in the repointer while you were trying pull it out?

Yes, but it was my stupid fault. I did not make the opening wide enough when I was screwing the point in the opening, so it snapped...

How does it work exactly with vinegar? Does it dissolve the point, or does it make the point to come loose? Can I just use pure natural vinegar? How soon should it work?

Vinegar I have at home, alum not (i saw there are different types of alum available; Potassium alum, Soda alum and Ammonium alum. Do all alum types work?)

Thanks again for the help!

Mind didnt fall out(another victim of a broken storm point)....the vinegar rotted everything away but it took a couple of weeks...make sure to change the vinegar every few days and i used the stronger 7% stuff

Best finish 170
Best game 10 darts(4 times)
Best result 2015 Calgary open runner up
2015 Las Vegas Open semi finals in blind draw
2018 main event saskatoon runner up
2019 Alberta Masters games Silver medal
I had a new set of Aden Kirks do that the first day I used them hitting a concrete floor.
I soaked it in vinegar but didn't follow the advise to change the vinegar
I screwed with it for a few weeks before letting someone else deal with it.
Sent it to Hands-on-Darts and they had it back to me in a week.
Good luck I know it's frustrating
Quoted from another forum, credits go to user DoubleRDarts

This is the product he has used
[Image: Url07aRlHeIuNgRpRqCxtWAZbG+kWHrkke21xRZClo8jdaqitFi03g]

"I wanted to share my personal experience using Aluminum Sulfate to remove a broken dart point. I did have success using this method, but my experience differed from most of the posts I found online. I will explain the steps that I took, and then I will mention what I would do different next time (I pray there is not a next time).

After the Alum was recommended, I went online and found a few posts from other people also having success using this method. Most of the posts that I read stated that people successfully had the dart point dissolved within about 6 hours, with no noticeable damage to the dart. I found one post that was a bit more detailed in the process, so I followed his/hers directions. But here is where my experience differed. It ended up taking me around 16 hours total, and this process happened over 3 nights.

Wednesday night after work I purchased a bottle of Aluminum Sulfate (Alum) from the spice section of my local grocery store (cost around $4.80). I heated a small glass pot of water to the point right before boiling, and then mixed in the Alum until I believed the solution was saturated (until no more powder will dissolve). This ended up being about half of the 2 ounce bottle. (It’s important to use Glass or Pyrex, since the Alum will try to dissolve a steel pot).

I did raise the height of the pot by adding extra stove grates, this was not part of the process I read online, but I was concerned about the dart being too close to the flame. I then simply placed the dart in the solution and kept the temperature right below boiling, as soon as I submerged the dart, the reaction started. A crazy amount of bubbles started coming from the dart point, so I knew something was happening. Everything seemed spot on at this time. I was able to do this for a solid 6 hours, adding more heated water to the pot when needed, to keep the water level from getting to low. But at the time I needed to stop and head off to bed, the dart point was still bubbling, so I knew there was still some of the point left in there. I pulled out the dart, gave it a good rinsing, and did a measurement. About half of the broken point had been dissolved, and there was no noticeable damage to the dart.

Thursday night I repeated the same process with the remaining bottle of Alum. I was only able to do this for about 4 hours that night, and again when I was ready to stop the point was still bubbling. I rinsed and measured again, and I was about ¾ of the way through the broken point. This time I noticed a white film forming in the grooves of the dart grip. A little elbow grease and it wiped off, nothing else noticeable about the dart finish.

Friday night I purchase another bottle of Alum on my way home from work. I repeated the process again, using another half a bottle, and soaking for a solid 6 hours. After about 2-3 hours I noticed the amount of bubbles coming from the point had significantly decreased, and around hour 4 they stopped all together. I kept it in for the full 6 hours just to ensure that all of the point had completely dissolved. Unfortunately around the same time the bubbles decreased (hour 12-13 over all), the yellow paint stripes started to peel off, and they were completely gone by the end of the process. I pulled out the dart and gave it a good rinse, this time I could see the point was completely dissolved…Success!!! There was a significant amount of white build up on the dart at this point, and I ended up needing to use a Brillo pad to remove all the film from inside the grooves. I had to scrub fairly hard, and was concerned I might damage the finish of the dart. But once I was all finished the dart did not show any noticeable signs of damage. I then soaked the dart in clean water for a few hours to ensure that all of the Alum was rinsed clean. After making sure it was completely dry I fitted a new point to the dart, and all is wonderful with the world again.

Final Results:
After a total of 16 hours and an investment of under $10 dollars, I have successfully dissolved the broken dart point. The paint stripes came off around hour 12-13, and I did have to scrub off a white film, but I am happy to be throwing my full set again.

What I’d do different:
If I had to go through this process again, I would do one thing differently. Based on other people’s results, my conclusion is that I did not use enough of the Alum on the first night. If I had used the full bottle of Alum from the beginning, I think the reaction might have been even stronger, and possibly the broken dart point may have been dissolved in the first 6 hours or so. Also I believe that the paint peeling off the dart was a direct result of how long it soaked in almost boiling hot water for, and not the Alum itself. Same thing with the white film, the longer the dart soaked the more white film seemed to appear.

As I am from the USA, I was not able to take advantage of a point removal service. My only other option was soaking the dart in White Vinegar, which I was told can take upwards of a month. Based on my circumstances, I feel that using Aluminum Sulfate was definitely the way to go. Hopefully this can help someone else at some point in the future."
Proud user of Voks MMA 22g darts - for more info on them see Getagrip's review.
I have used the fire of my gas cooker, successfully in very short time.
Board : winmau blade 5
Curent darts sets  :
RD Martin Atkins 24g / Rd nylon stem / RD standard flight
Winmau Testament 24g / harrows speedline or alamo shaft / kite flight
Thanks again Nutz!

I will try to get hold of alum and until then I will put the barrel in vinegar.
Will let you know the results.
[Image: 4912264.png]
2017 stats:                            2018 stats:
200 x 180 score                       94 x 180 score
129 x 100+ finish                      54 x 100+ finish
170 highest finish                     160 highest finish (2x)
Best leg; 12 darts (2x)              Best leg; 11 darts

Highest avg in best of 13 game; 80,93
Hi Nutz,

Here I am again with an update.

As i did not have any alum in house, I tried with natural vinegar firstly.
[Image: 3ed71c0c00ba2211f36b53b6ae301232.jpg]
You can see from the bubbles that the vinegar is working the steel point.
I put the barrel in the vinegar bath for 3 days and refreshed the vinegar each day.
After 3 days the point was maybe 1mm smaller, so it would take min. a month to get the point out with vinegar.

Then I remembered that I had some old alum sticks somewhere!
[Image: 9e0d32c5db1bdcdaf549d9bfbf17962e.jpg]
I found 2 of them, 28 gram each, so 56 gram in total. The only thing is that it is not pure alum (just 56%). But I decided to try it out.
[Image: 3603138bf1863bd6885a7966733dcecb.jpg]
I used a small ceramic pan, heated by a tea heater (with small candles).
The alum sticks I had to smash with a hammer to get small parts.
I heated a bit of water and added the alum parts.
The water directly turned white, because of the Titanium Dioxide in the sticks.

When I put the barrel in the liquid, it started to bubble immediately, which was a good sign.
[Image: 0a3959ecd166f09f55ce29ff0c9b6904.jpg]
I left the barrel simmering for 5 hours and after checking I notices that almost 5mm of the points was gone!
[Image: a2a356a12abf21f5058a75ee7fd02d40.jpg]
It was important to keep the liquid hot, as it would turn into a wax-substance (like a candle) when cooling off.

Today I put the barrels in again for approx. 3 hours untill the bubbling stopped. The complete points was gone now :-). It took around 8 hours in total to dissolve the point.

I immediately repointed the barrel and tried them out.
[Image: 6181e7c54354a1d2869014135fb3bdd7.jpg]
[Image: 5ec1c0e6be64d02db537ed1e4ba1fb43.jpg]
[Image: 0f0a0b2653490486f84c1325b38f35c2.jpg]
Everything was fine and I hit 2 180’s within 15 minutes. I really like these darts!

Thanks again for all good advise fellow nutz!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
[Image: 4912264.png]
2017 stats:                            2018 stats:
200 x 180 score                       94 x 180 score
129 x 100+ finish                      54 x 100+ finish
170 highest finish                     160 highest finish (2x)
Best leg; 12 darts (2x)              Best leg; 11 darts

Highest avg in best of 13 game; 80,93
Well done indeed, happy darting
[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(12-28-2017, 06:19 PM)Zaza Wrote: Hi Nutz,

Here I am again with an update.

EDIT: Images removed for readability

As i did not have any alum in house, I tried with natural vinegar firstly.
snip, snip
You can see from the bubbles that the vinegar is working the steel point.
I put the barrel in the vinegar bath for 3 days and refreshed the vinegar each day.
After 3 days the point was maybe 1mm smaller, so it would take min. a month to get the point out with vinegar.

Then I remembered that I had some old alum sticks somewhere!
snip, snip
I found 2 of them, 28 gram each, so 56 gram in total. The only thing is that it is not pure alum (just 56%). But I decided to try it out.
snip, snip
I used a small ceramic pan, heated by a tea heater (with small candles).
The alum sticks I had to smash with a hammer to get small parts.
I heated a bit of water and added the alum parts.
The water directly turned white, because of the Titanium Dioxide in the sticks.

When I put the barrel in the liquid, it started to bubble immediately, which was a good sign.
snip, snip
I left the barrel simmering for 5 hours and after checking I notices that almost 5mm of the points was gone!
snip, snip
It was important to keep the liquid hot, as it would turn into a wax-substance (like a candle) when cooling off.

Today I put the barrels in again for approx. 3 hours untill the bubbling stopped. The complete points was gone now :-). It took around 8 hours in total to dissolve the point.

I immediately repointed the barrel and tried them out.
snip, snip
Everything was fine and I hit 2 180’s within 15 minutes. I really like these darts!

Thanks again for all good advise fellow nutz!!

Well done Zaza, and thanks for sharing the process and results  Smile

cheers...
Ayup Zaza

Great result.

Shed
good job
That's some tight grouping!
Currently throwing 22g Michael Smith darts at a One80 Gladiator III board
@ ZAZA
what repointer were you using when this happened?
Great job Zaza Smile.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this dart broken? GutshotGrant 8 344 09-15-2019, 03:46 AM
Last Post: SlingBlade