Learning darts: the Peter Wright method
Hello all,

As we've seen over the years and in a nice new Youtube video recently, Peter Wright likes to change his darts. And everytime he changes darts, there is a discussion on whether this is smart or not, whether he should stick to his old darts or not.

Today I found the following video on Youtube about how to learn new things quickly:

https://youtu.be/B9SptdjpJBQ

At the 1 minute mark, they discuss how to learn a motorical skill quickly. They explain that doing a motorical task, taking a break and changing that task slightly after the break makes you learn it faster.

Furthermore, they give a practical example: if you want to improve your tennis game, you can practice for a while, take a break, and for the second practice sessions you can change the weight of the racket.

Sounds familiar? Perhaps some tinkering with darts is not so bad after all, perhaps Wright is onto something! I've heard that Wesley Harms practises with different weights of his own darts and that it helps him. What do you guys think about this?

Anyway, I hope this will give you nutz confidence and a better feeling about switching darts during practice. Most of you don't need any reasons for buying new darts anyway (but now you can put the blame on me and/or science though Smile ).
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

When I get in a slump I pull out my 14g Ted Hankeys and throw for a while .
They seem to reset my head ,and when I go back to my regular match darts I throw better .
 Weird , but works for me . Thinker

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 
(10-02-2017, 09:37 PM)The G Wrote: When I get in a slump I pull out my 14g Ted Hankeys and throw for a while .
They seem to reset my head ,and when I go back to my regular match darts I throw better .

I do the same with my 12g Buntings, and it works Smile
current favorite Dart 1: Modified Target Phil Taylor Gen5 26g, Target ProGrip 34.5mm, L-Style Kite Flights
current favorite Dart 2: Selfmade Customs V2 23.4g, Target ProGrip 34.5mm, L-Style Kite Flights

Best 2 Dart Finish: 110 (T20, DB)
Best 3 Dart Finish: 156 (T20, T20, D18)
Best Leg: 13

My Dart Image Gallery   My Modified Amberjack   My Selfmade Customs Darts V2   My Selfmade Customs Darts V3

From the " What came through the post " thread we all peter wright it enough lol
I would prefer the Phil Taylor method. But sadly no one is willing to pay me millions to throw darts.

So I ended up with the Peter Wright way of doing it.
[Image: NSnrkBi.png]

Winmau - Andy Fordham SE
Might explain why every once in a while he tinkers with his draw as well. Guess til the day Mardle or Harrington published some science we can all keep filling up that post thread!
Current Darts: 23g RVB95 with short Fit Flight spinning stems, standard flights and Onyx points.

Current Board: B5DC on the wall!!!

Best Finishes : 14 Darts ;  132
(10-03-2017, 12:50 AM)Askew180 Wrote: Might explain why every once in a while he tinkers with his draw as well. Guess til the day Mardle or Harrington published some science we can all keep filling up that post thread!
For people who are so involved in this, they should be publishing some more stuff! Go on then guys.. Upload upload upload!
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Like the Modify practice bit.
For some reason if I change darts for a few throws and go back to my normal darts I do throw better (for a little while anyway).
2019 180s: 19/50
2019 Best leg: 16
2019 Highest finish: 145

2017/18 180s: 17 / 32
2017/18 Best leg: 17 / 14
2017/18 Highest finish: 152 / 152

Oh crapola! Now everyone knows why I time to time take handful of different sets and toss them... usually like 6 different sets... methinks. Might be more usually I have no clue. Different shapes, weights and whatnot...

I need to figure out new masterplan to conquer...
(10-02-2017, 09:37 PM)The G Wrote: When I get in a slump I pull out my 14g Ted Hankeys and throw for a while .

Took the words right out of my mouth Wink . After an hour or so of practicing/warming up, if the results are just downright shoddy, very occasionally I feel like I need to either "reboot" or "return to my roots." What I'll do is to switch over to some house darts. The venue that I prefer has a bucket of (soft-tip) house darts with different barrels, lengths, weight, and in all sorts of conditions ranging from "trash-can worthy" to "it still flies."  

After several dozens of tosses, I return to my own regular darts and (as if by magic) my release point, aim, and grouping improve very visibly.

At first I thought that maybe it was a psychology or mindset thing, maybe it was just my way of fine-tuning a motor skill while it "loaded up." But, like others have posted, it does seem to work and now I've learned that there's an actual method/theory behind it!

Same for me buddy, lol after I switch, throw, and switch back to my usual set, my brain goes “oh, there’s your throw” lol Smile
 ✯✯✯Mac-Attack99
༺Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I. no.5 soft tips༻
༺Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout༻
༺Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons༻
2020 180’s: 9/12
2020 Hat: 105/160
Overall Tournament Wins:5
Favorite player: Jelle Klaasen
Never thought it over but I can warm up with lighter barrels then get in the real practice with my usual set.
Is there something going on I'm not sure.
Maybe I need to go full wright and use different darts every few months?
Well worth of trying this kind of approach. I do have two same sets with different weights so when I'm in the slump I do go for a heavier set in order to reset my throw. Sometimes this brings results sometimes doesn't. Didn't actually switched the sets during the practice sessions, but I will give it a go.

Cheers
If my flights are pretty beaten up I find that that my darts fly completely different despite being the same shape. I find my darts appear to be lighter. If I change the flights and throw again with new flights I find that I feel the darts i heavier and i have more control over it. Mental but true.
[Image: 33600209483_5693b42d44_c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Training method stahlmann 31 2,720 01-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Last Post: stahlmann