Learning darts: the Peter Wright method
(10-02-2017, 09:37 PM)The G Wrote: When I get in a slump I pull out my 14g Ted Hankeys and throw for a while .
They seem to reset my head ,and when I go back to my regular match darts I throw better .
 Weird , but works for me . Thinker

Took the words right out of my mouth Wink . After an hour or so of practicing/warming up, if the results are just downright shoddy, very occasionally I feel like I need to either "reboot" or "return to my roots." What I'll do is to switch over to some house darts. The venue that I prefer has a bucket of (soft-tip) house darts with different barrels, lengths, weight, and in all sorts of conditions ranging from "trash-can worthy" to "it still flies."  

After several dozens of tosses, I return to my own regular darts and (as if by magic) my release point, aim, and grouping improve very visibly.

At first I thought that maybe it was a psychology or mindset thing, maybe it was just my way of fine-tuning a motor skill while it "loaded up." But, like others have posted, it does seem to work and now I've learned that there's an actual method/theory behind it!
(10-02-2017, 09:37 PM)The G Wrote: When I get in a slump I pull out my 14g Ted Hankeys and throw for a while .
They seem to reset my head ,and when I go back to my regular match darts I throw better .
 Weird , but works for me . Thinker

Same for me buddy, lol after I switch, throw, and switch back to my usual set, my brain goes “oh, there’s your throw” lol Smile
Darts: 21.5 gm monster cobra I. no.5 soft tips
Flights: l-style Jelle klassen blackout 
Shafts: Silver/black supergrip carbons.
2019 180’s: 9/12
2019 Hat: 143/130

“My biggest problem in life, is overcoming myself... but once I defeated myself, all that was left was peace”-Kevin Gates
Never thought it over but I can warm up with lighter barrels then get in the real practice with my usual set.
Is there something going on I'm not sure.
Maybe I need to go full wright and use different darts every few months?
Well worth of trying this kind of approach. I do have two same sets with different weights so when I'm in the slump I do go for a heavier set in order to reset my throw. Sometimes this brings results sometimes doesn't. Didn't actually switched the sets during the practice sessions, but I will give it a go.

Cheers
If my flights are pretty beaten up I find that that my darts fly completely different despite being the same shape. I find my darts appear to be lighter. If I change the flights and throw again with new flights I find that I feel the darts i heavier and i have more control over it. Mental but true.
[Image: 33600209483_5693b42d44_c.jpg]

180's
2015 - 1
2016 - 1
2017 - 32
2018 - 20/25 
League Darts
24g Harrows Verve - Green Harrows Tweenie Stems - Standard Green & Black Harrows Retina Flights

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Training method stahlmann 31 2,572 01-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Last Post: stahlmann