Jocky Wilson
Leighton Rees
Bob Anderson
Keith Deller
Alan Evans
Bobby George
[Show Results]

Players of the past (pre 1990) who would be the biggest threat today
Bristow and lowe are the obvious ones. I think bristow had a higher gear though so would go for him of the two. Jocky wouldn't have coped with the tour but his best would have been good enough. Evans was too flighty on his doubles. The smokey of the bunch could be bobby George. He took the money on the exhibition circuit. Who knows what could have been if had been dedicated to the tour?
It would be interesting to see the outcome on today's players of Bristows "Mind Games" the Power was reputed to be good at the subtleties of "spreading the doubt" & who was it who tutored him the other difference also is the Treble /Double segments are larger on modern boards & the dart stands a lot less chance of hitting a much thinner no staple wire now days than on the old board + you can see the board now back in the day it was difficult to see through the "Fag "smoke
I would say John Lowe because anyone who can fit darts that size consistently into the target(given that the trebles were considerably smaller in those days due to the width of the wire) shows that he has a great deal of accuracy.
I would have loved to seen Bristow and Lowe in their prime take on today's big names. Pretty sure they'd still be taking home trophies
Bristow I chose, but Jocky & Lowe would've done well too.
[IMG=Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile ]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
One of these two legends, Dai Gutbucket vs. Tommy Belcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgap_CzceBM

Of course if the lightweight modern day players were taken to the past, they would never be able to compete with the like of "Fatbelly" and "Evenfatterbelly".
Ryk is currently using:-
 鈴木 未来  Jadeite 24g
::  L-Shaft Locked Slim 300 Emerald :: Metal Champagne Ring Aqua :: - L-Flight Dimple Solid Emerald  :: Winmau Blade 6 ::
I vote for Lowe. He has always acted like a true gentleman so far as i know. And has never shown any nerves.
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
Hi All,

I'm a little surprised not to see Dennis 'The Menace' Priestly listed. At his peak, his slow methodical, deliberate and highly effective style would definitely test the best today especially those champing at the bit (read oche). Smile

Lowe is my choice of those listed

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(02-12-2018, 11:48 AM)Dorian Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Weren't Priestley's peak years in the 90's as opposed to pre-1990?
I've voted for Lowe, reason being: I'm new to this Darts world and from going on youtube and watching old darts matches John Lowe always intrigues me, he's such a solid player and, as others have mentioned, always comes across as a gent. Would love to see him school some of the younger whipper snappers and bring some down a peg or two.
[IMG=Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile ]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paul Cook: NOTW champion 1990 NiteEyez 4 302 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Last Post: NiteEyez