Cosmo Darts Feedback Thread
I struggle to understand all of the "negative" posts saying that the stems break and the flights don't hold up.
I have been using standard and slim plastic spinning stems and air flights for over a year and have never ever broken a single stem. And they have gone into walls, wooden and concrete floors, and so on.
For three months now, I have been throwing this setup (but with size 2 stems instead of size 1 as in the picture). Admittedly, I only throw arrows for 8-10 hrs per week but anyway, the flights are completely unscaved.
I think the key point about the flights is the nose of the dart. If it's blunt, it will catch the edge of a flight and rupture it. Also, the closer the leading and trailing edges of the flight are to 90 degrees, the more damage they will take hitting each other. If your throw allows for, say, W-shape flights, and if the nose of your dart is smooth and tapered, or you use point cones, your setup will hold up for quite a while.
[url=https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=340_817&products_id=4853][/url]
Currently throwing: Condor Trinidad K "Ivan", Target/Shot! conversion points
Skill level: Truly terrible
(08-17-2018, 09:50 PM)Andreas Wrote: I struggle to understand all of the "negative" posts saying that the stems break and the flights don't hold up.
I have been using standard and slim plastic spinning stems and air flights for over a year and have never ever broken a single stem. And they have gone into walls, wooden and concrete floors, and so on.
For three months now, I have been throwing this setup (but with size 2 stems instead of size 1 as in the picture). Admittedly, I only throw arrows for 8-10 hrs per week but anyway, the flights are completely unscaved.
I think the key point about the flights is the nose of the dart. If it's blunt, it will catch the edge of a flight and rupture it. Also, the closer the leading and trailing edges of the flight are to 90 degrees, the more damage they will take hitting each other. If your throw allows for, say, W-shape flights, and if the nose of your dart is smooth and tapered, or you use point cones, your setup will hold up for quite a while.
[url=https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=340_817&products_id=4853][/url]

If they work for you, that's all that matters.  And some barrels are very tough on gear as you mention...
I'd like to step in here and comment on the breakage. I play with a mixture between Gear and Carbon. In the half year I've been using them (daily, 1~2 hrs), I've broken 1 carbon shaft. The only reason I broke it was I threw the dart from about 20 feet away from the board, and yeah.

On the other hand, my coworker who started at the same time I did managed to break 4(!) in under a week. He'd never played darts in his life and for some reason thought it would be a good idea to start with Super Kite flights. As one could expect, 2 out of 3 throws would bounce out (we were playing soft tip). Someone convinced him to switch to Standard flights and he's greatly improved. He hasn't broken a shaft again (it also helps that he was given a set of Burnt Titanium shafts, but at over $100 for a set...)

Gear on the other hand, I personally have yet to break one. There's not some magic that I have to it though, it's more of that I switch them so often, I don't get much wear and tear on one (again a luxury that most won't have). The plastic can get brittle if left in hot areas, increasing the chance of snapping. We've also received quite a few complaints about Carbons snapping in Singapore more frequently than in other areas. It was suggested that drastic changes to the moisture in the air over a period of time makes affects them in some way (I have to apologize for my lack of an in depth answer to that. I'm not a material scientist and I'm not in charge of Singapore so I only half listened).

Slims will cut down on the breakings as it gives the shaft flex in the middle and will take away some of the shock from both ends.

Breakings could also simply be a result of your setup not matching your throw. It's easy for me to say as I'm sitting on pretty much unlimited access to everything, but that could be the case as well.

At any rate, we are always taking this feed back into consideration and are working on improvements.

Thank you all for your support
(08-29-2018, 08:39 AM)Cosmo Darts Europe Wrote: Breakings could also simply be a result of your setup not matching your throw. It's easy for me to say as I'm sitting on pretty much unlimited access to everything, but that could be the case as well.

Can i send you my address? Big Grin Tongue
[Image: aviary-image-1546527737695-02.jpg]
(08-29-2018, 10:35 AM)theblindPew Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 08:39 AM)Cosmo Darts Europe Wrote: Breakings could also simply be a result of your setup not matching your throw. It's easy for me to say as I'm sitting on pretty much unlimited access to everything, but that could be the case as well.

Can i send you my address? Big Grin Tongue

Where did you send it? Can I join? :-)

I used to use Cosmo too. I liked the gear shafts. Too brittle though. Then I took the plunge and bought two sets of Carbons (Black Pearl). After I had snapped a few shafts as well I bought the Superduralumins. They were too heavy though and what was more, I'd say that flights were popping off too often of these stems.

I've already suggested elswhere - I wish Cosmo made shafts from the same material like Target makes their black & white Pro Grips (or Designa Durable nylon). They'd be more durable then and surely they would've been even cheaper if Cosmo stopped using their super cosmic F1 stuff for their shafts... :-)

Flights were ok though. No problem with tearing the odd flight now and then. However, I just didn't like it when I snapped a stem in the flight and had to bin it all...
Anybody take advantage of the incredible Cosmo Jeff Smith Darts on sale at Darts Corner ?
  To my knowledge I think they had 3 sets and they went real fast !
They were only £40 (Excluding VAT) . OMG1.GIF

Match Darts=Unicorn John Part ® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 

(08-29-2018, 06:13 PM)The G Wrote: Anybody take advantage of the incredible Cosmo Jeff Smith Darts on sale at Darts Corner ?

I got a set and GWN, too.

Any other Nutz took advantage?
[Image: vVSMqoP.png]
(08-29-2018, 08:52 PM)Hi vanJupp Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 06:13 PM)The G Wrote: Anybody take advantage of the incredible Cosmo Jeff Smith Darts on sale at Darts Corner ?

I got a set and GWN, too.

Any other Nutz took advantage?

I should have known Dodgy .... And I got a set as well.  Rolleyes

Match Darts=Unicorn John Part ® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 

(08-29-2018, 06:05 PM)elevendarter Wrote: Flights were ok though. No problem with tearing the odd flight now and then. However, I just didn't like it when I snapped a stem in the flight and had to bin it all...
!!! Bin it all?! That plastic nub in there is so huge! *WARNING THE FOLLOWING IS NOT ADVISED BY COSMO DARTS AND IS A PERSONAL OPINION* Grab a lighter and a paper clip, heat the end of the clip and stick it in the nub, let it cool and pull it out.
(08-30-2018, 12:20 AM)Cosmo Darts Europe Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 06:05 PM)elevendarter Wrote: Flights were ok though. No problem with tearing the odd flight now and then. However, I just didn't like it when I snapped a stem in the flight and had to bin it all...
!!! Bin it all?! That plastic nub in there is so huge! *WARNING THE FOLLOWING IS NOT ADVISED BY COSMO DARTS AND IS A PERSONAL OPINION* Grab a lighter and a paper clip, heat the end of the clip and stick it in the nub, let it cool and pull it out.

Yeah, I saved a few a similar way. I used a tiny screw to get that broken part out. Anyway, some of those "saved" flights were a bit loose then. I was trying some heated needle too but it wasn't heat enough to get into the stem. I also found out that glue didn't work with carbon at all .-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Cosmo Darts gear vanJupp 61 3,416 06-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Last Post: mc1958
  The weekly "Peter Wright has new darts" thread vanJupp 15 3,288 02-03-2018, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Parvez1971
  12 week pro practise program feedback please Tankie 14 2,024 01-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dartz152
  Put your questions for Voks Darts in this thread please Getagrip 41 14,573 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Jacob Schaeffer
  New Cosmo darts mc1958 6 1,096 04-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Last Post: The G
  The ask COSMO Hybrid Shafts thread... dog 7 1,323 03-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter