When do you repoint your darts?
As the title says really, how do you know when it's time to have some new points in your darts? And is there a reason to have some new points when you can just sharpen them? I'm asking as someone who has nevery had new points put in a set of darts. So what are the benefits?
Points will wear down over time and I always change mine when the barrel is getting too close to the sisal for my liking.
(07-15-2017, 12:32 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Points will wear down over time and I always change mine when the barrel is getting too close to the sisal for my liking.
Doesn't that mean the points need roughening up? Or the board needs to be replaced?
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

For me it depends on the point

i used to use the target diamond points and replaced them when the diamond cut had worn away to the touch.

I then tried grooved storms and the only time i had to change them was when they broke BUT it happened twice at times when i didnt have my repointer...breaks happened after around 10 months of use so i suppose i got the wear and tear out of them but one broke when taking my last 3 warm up darts in a reaonably big open so i always had that doubt in the back of my mind.

I then tried some generic knurled type points similar to those that would come with a steve beaton set and they were board rippers with no added benifit to me so out they came

Currently using anderson cd points and have been for a while..I do find i need to change them every few months but the balance suits me perfect..imo they dont take a scuffing the way standard points would so the grip goes sooner than standard points. I bought a repointer though so it only costs me the price of the points to have a tinker

To go slighlty off topic.....having seen and played with team mates who constantly sand paper or scuff their points it would be interesting to see everyone put their match darts up with the three points level because i have seen big differences in length in the past (is it enough to change the balance and affect accuracy meaning changing points more often would help?)
[Image: Screenshot_2016-05-18-13-32-16_1_zpsr8vibhtm.jpg]
Just to add to that rambling - i dont grip the point so im only looking for grip in the board if it makes a difference
[Image: Screenshot_2016-05-18-13-32-16_1_zpsr8vibhtm.jpg]
(07-15-2017, 12:35 AM)WhiskyPops Wrote:
(07-15-2017, 12:32 AM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Points will wear down over time and I always change mine when the barrel is getting too close to the sisal for my liking.
Doesn't that mean the points need roughening up? Or the board needs to be replaced?

No, not at all.   The length of the points has nothing to do with needing to be roughed up or replacing the board.    Let's say you start out with 30mm of points exposed and over time from roughing them up, removing burs, etc. they wear down in length and that puts the barrel closer to the board.

As for the board, I don't usually keep a board up but about a year before I replace it, so it's not the boards fault either.
(07-15-2017, 12:29 AM)clem1995 Wrote: As the title says really, how do you know when it's time to have some new points in your darts? And is there a reason to have some new points when you can just sharpen them? I'm asking as someone who has nevery had new points put in a set of darts. So what are the benefits?

It's up to you. Some want to try longer points or a different color, or grip or storm like points.  I re-point my barrels when they are worn(short) It's not often I re-point for fun.
It's just the last 5-6 years people do this fashion wise, now more darts players have a re-point tool them self
may all the doubles be with you

(07-15-2017, 04:37 AM)hamo Wrote: For me it depends on the point

i used to use the target diamond points and replaced them when the diamond cut had worn away to the touch.

I then tried grooved storms and the only time i had to change them was when they broke BUT it happened twice at times when i didnt have my repointer...breaks happened after around 10 months of use so i suppose i got the wear and tear out of them but one broke when taking my last 3 warm up darts in a reaonably big open so i always had that doubt in the back of my mind.

I then tried some generic knurled type points similar to those that would come with a steve beaton set and they were board rippers with no added benifit to me so out they came

Currently using anderson cd points and have been for a while..I do find i need to change them every few months but the balance suits me perfect..imo they dont take a scuffing the way standard points would so the grip goes sooner than standard points. I bought a repointer though so it only costs me the price of the points to have a tinker

To go slighlty off topic.....having seen and played with team mates who constantly sand paper or scuff their points it would be interesting to see everyone put their match darts up with the three points level because i have seen big differences in length in the past (is it enough to change the balance and affect accuracy meaning changing points more often would help?)

Interesting read there thanks for that, and a interesting point at the end there, I suppose is there a way of keeping them level after a year or more of scuffing ect?
(07-15-2017, 08:59 AM)Fred-180 Wrote:
(07-15-2017, 12:29 AM)clem1995 Wrote: As the title says really, how do you know when it's time to have some new points in your darts? And is there a reason to have some new points when you can just sharpen them? I'm asking as someone who has nevery had new points put in a set of darts. So what are the benefits?

It's up to you. Some want to try longer points or a different color, or grip or storm like points.  I re-point my barrels when they are worn(short) It's not often I re-point for fun.
It's just the last 5-6 years people do this fashion wise, now more darts players have a re-point tool them self
Do new points not last as long as the old ones used to? How long to they tend to last before they have gone shorter?
(07-15-2017, 09:11 AM)clem1995 Wrote:
(07-15-2017, 08:59 AM)Fred-180 Wrote:

Do new points not last as long as the old ones used to? How long to they tend to last before they have gone shorter?

It depends on how often you use your darts, and rub them with a stone or sharpen them
may all the doubles be with you