my way for beginners part 3
now that you got your gameroom ready  or go to the pub or friends to play  !?

you must get a set of darts :  the cheapest way is to use a set of darts from one of your buddies !

its all about comfort , its important that you finda set  that suits you  and if there throwing nice

if the darts of your friends or family are not  your  "THING"  you can buy a set online or in a dartshop, or sportsshop !

things to remember when buying darts :  weight, balance point,grip,shape,tungsten percentage,lenght , diameter,grip points.

when you are a beginner  dont buy  very expensive  darts  right a way , if they dont  suit you its a waste of money 
i think  the best set to begin with is  a cheap set of about 80%  tungsten  .
the weight i should start with is between  23 to 25 gram.  the grip to begin with is  medium  not to grippy  but also not to smooth
the shape of the dart  is a tricky one , i should go for something you find comfortable i throw  thick darts others very thin its albout what you like !!!?
also the lenght and diameter are important some like short and thick  others long and  thin  but what i said  its all about what you like !! the balance point is  also something to remember   ,  i am  a front gripper  so like the balance point  on the front of the dart ,others like to have the balance point in the middle or  more on the back of the darts .
you must find out what suits you best , where you grip the darts  thats also the point where you must have grip,  if you want you can go for grip points  (  darts are better sticking in the board , more grip in front ). but i dont use them its very bad for your board !!!!

i hope this helps you !!!??

nightcrawler  Big Grin
YOU MUST CRAWL BEFORE YOU CAN WALK ! Moddarts
Thanks for your time , I have often wondered about those ' Grippy ' points and how the board handles them . I find that 2-3 rotations with an 80 grit piece of sandpaper around the tips gives ton's more grip and lasts for 100's of throws .

Beanerds.
Puma ' Kombat ' - 24grm 80% .
Formula F2 -  22grm  90% .
Board  - Target Pro Tour .
Target ' Coranado' lighting system .
I'm with you Beanerds. Let me just rough up my points with a coarse sandpaper by rotating the point as I push it across the point and not in line with it for better grip. I've seen many pros play with those super grippy points and they tear up a new board in no time. Robert Thornton comes to mind when I say this. His points simply destroy the 20 bed in one match.

As for the OP, I agree with not buying expensive dart right out the box, but to experiment with different styles to see what suits you best. I have several sets and if I see a new player knows how to throw darts properly, I'll not hesitate to offer some of my darts for them to try. That way they get the feel for how different weights, shapes, grips, etc. feel in their hands.
Yes , I scuffed mine on the day I posted here ( 12 days ) and they are still pretty grippy after probably 1000,s of throws .
Beanerds
Puma ' Kombat ' - 24grm 80% .
Formula F2 -  22grm  90% .
Board  - Target Pro Tour .
Target ' Coranado' lighting system .
I understand the idea that a beginner shouldn’t buy nice Darts right away. But how do I tell if I’m better than a beginner? I don’t play 501 just tactics or cricket. I’m playing in a league now but some nights I feel like I’m good. Other nights not so much.
(11-20-2017, 04:04 PM)Mike Hebdon Wrote: I understand the idea that a beginner shouldn’t buy nice Darts right away. But how do I tell if I’m better than a beginner? I don’t play 501 just tactics or cricket. I’m playing in a league now but some nights I feel like I’m good. Other nights not so much.

I was fortunate to have a brick and mortar somewhat local to me, so I took in the darts I had been using and used their board. The owner watched, gave some pointers, then brought out a few sets for me to try out. I tried three sets and saw a great improvement. I settled on a set and made my wallet scream in agony.

Do you have a local shop in your area to check out?
Thanks for the timely tip -just started looking at new darts and this will be helpful.
Curious about the significance of tungsten percentages. Is there really a big difference of say, 85 verses 95?
I had a nice set of 21g narrow barrel steel tips and being a beginner missed the board a good few times going for doubles. Hit the brick wall my board is on and bent the tip on one of my good set of darts. Moral of the story is don't use good darts as a beginner unless you have a surround on your board!
Tungsten all the way

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Money saving tip for beginners Trukje 9 923 06-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Adams
  Darts - Beginners 3 things you must do to become a good Player *Saber* 132 58,570 06-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Last Post: jt4527
  Useful Bobby George video for beginners. Boneshaker 11 982 11-29-2018, 01:40 AM
Last Post: Boneshaker
  my way for beginners part2 nightcrawler 13 2,755 09-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Kavel
  my way for beginners part 1 nightcrawler 19 4,510 09-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Godfather4074
  my way for beginners part 8 nightcrawler 9 1,950 08-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Kolby Irving
  my way for beginners part 7 nightcrawler 8 2,135 08-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Kolby Irving
  my way for beginners part 10 nightcrawler 10 1,713 07-29-2018, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Waiwai
  my way for beginners part 5 nightcrawler 13 3,208 05-16-2018, 01:05 PM