Throwing form
After playing about 1 month on dartslive, I average 50 on 701 and 1.73 marks on cricket, but my throwing form is different from the pros i see on video (eg Paul Lim, Phil Taylor). I have tried copying their throwing form for about a week but I could never seem to hit the mark consistently with it, whereas with my current unorthodox form, I am able to hit bulls more consistently(~15-20% of the time). Do I continue practicising with my current form in the hope that it will improve over time? I'm afraid that no matter how much I practise with this unproven form, I will not get the same results as if I practise with proven forms like paul lim or phil taylor's.
The best way throw is what feels comfortable for you. There is science behind darts as well, making sure your shoulder doesnt move, where to release the dart etc
DARTS: RedDragon Hell Fire 24g
DART BOARD: Winmau Ton Machine
Everyone's throw is different. But there is certain Mechanics you have to use if you want to get good and be consistent.
I like to look at other players throws and compare to my own to see where I can improve such as stance, release, follow through, etc.
YouTube has all kinds of goodness..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(05-09-2017, 01:04 PM)NWDarter63 Wrote: Everyone's throw is different. But there is certain Mechanics you have to use if you want to get good and be consistent.
I like to look at other players throws and compare to my own to see where I can improve such as stance, release, follow through, etc.
YouTube has all kinds of goodness..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do u think i should release my darts at?
I know some really good throwers that have what would be considered horrible form. They have managed to throw that way long enough to make it work. It really comes down to whether or not you want to start over from scratch to fix your form. You don't say how long you have been throwing, only that you have one month worth of data. If you have only been playing darts for a month I don't think it would be to hard to break your bad habits and focus on good form and technique. Look into Flight School A1 and A2. What may feel awkward at first will become routine after many, many trips to the oche. If you have been throwing for years with the form you have now it may be a little more difficult to change. 

As for where to release the dart? Check out this thread for guidance. The best way to throw a dart - According to physicists

I release just before my arm reaches full extension so that I still have room for follow through. I have never recorded my throw to analyze it but I would say I release in the 20-25 degree range.
***Soft Tip Player***
Darts: RR Predators 18 gm
Board: Gran Board 3
Best Leg: 14 darts (35.79 ppd / 107 ppr)
Best Checkout: 180 

Hi what do u mean by the throwing angle? Is it the angle made by your elbow? In that case wouldnt it be impossible to throw at 17 degrees cos that means ur forearm needs to go all the way back. Next, is it generally the consensus that a full extended follow through is the way to go?what would be the negative effects of not following through? Thanks so much for the help so far
Don't over-think and over-complicate things.

That said. I think this video is terrific in explaining the basics and what to look out for.

[Image: fQ2fu2q.png]
Great video Red! Thanks for sharing it!
(05-11-2017, 12:22 PM)Wei Jie El Guaje Wrote: Hi what do u mean by the throwing angle? Is it the angle made by your elbow? In that case wouldnt it be impossible to throw at 17 degrees cos that means ur forearm needs to go all the way back. Next, is it generally the consensus that a full extended follow through is the way to go?what would be the negative effects of not following through? Thanks so much for the help so far

I always thought of it as the angle between your arm and the floor, not the angle of your arm at the  elbow. If your arm is fully extended and parallel with the ground you would be at zero. As your elbow bends and your hand raises the angle starts to increase. 

I wasn't sure how to explain the importance of follow through but i now everything from shooting to golf, to bowling emphasizes it. I was able to find the following:

Follow-through: A very important thing. Remember the shotgun-rifle comparison. Best way to follow-through is to end up with your hand aiming at the chosen target. A typical error is to let your arm 'fall down' after the release. Just keep your arm in the straight and slight upward position for a moment, just like in the above animation, and you will get the feeling for follow-through quite fast.

The rest of that article can be found HERE
***Soft Tip Player***
Darts: RR Predators 18 gm
Board: Gran Board 3
Best Leg: 14 darts (35.79 ppd / 107 ppr)
Best Checkout: 180 

Ok i think i understand now. Elbow level, dart at eye level, pull back and throw with full follow through. However i have one problem. Im a bit tall so when i put it at eye level with elbow level, my line of sight is not in line with the bulls eye. How do i go about fixing this? Do i lean forward and drop my elbow, abit like mvg's stance?
hi guys, so i get the elbow has to be at a fix angle..but how do you maintain that angle and aim for the lower numbers? 19,3,17? they require my elbow to be lower than 90degrees.
(05-12-2017, 04:42 AM)Wei Jie El Guaje Wrote: Ok i think i understand now. Elbow level, dart at eye level, pull back and throw with full follow through. However i have one problem. Im a bit tall so when i put it at eye level with elbow level, my line of sight is not in line with the bulls eye. How do i go about fixing this? Do i lean forward and drop my elbow, abit like mvg's stance?

(12-20-2017, 07:33 PM)tytons Wrote: hi guys, so i get the elbow has to be at a fix angle..but how do you maintain that angle and aim for the lower numbers? 19,3,17? they require my elbow to be lower than 90degrees.

For me it's rather simple, just bend a wee bit forward from your torso.  Small adjustment and it allows you to keep your elbow/arm/release the same no matter your target.

Good darting chaps. :arrows:
Don't over think it at this stage. Do what is comfortable to you, remember that Jocky Wilson had the worst throwing mechanics but would have won everything there was to be won if not for his drinking and his health.

Stance - stable and comfortable. If you're tall, you can lean forward more to shorten the throwing distance, but if it's uncomfortable then don't do it.

Aiming - i suggest to aim the middle of the barrel of the dart at bulls, then take a natural throw. See where the dart lands (on the vertical axis) and adjust the aiming point forwards towards the tip or backwards towards the flight to adjust. Once you get to the point where you're landing level with the bulls, that's the aiming point to use for now.

Release - just trust your body. Don't bother about the angles and everything. Whatever feels right, is biomechanically the best release point for your body.

Where do you normally play? I'm in SG too.
(12-20-2017, 08:37 PM)leonzhu Wrote: Don't over think it at this stage. Do what is comfortable to you, remember that Jocky Wilson had the worst throwing mechanics but would have won everything there was to be won if not for his drinking and his health.

Stance - stable and comfortable. If you're tall, you can lean forward more to shorten the throwing distance, but if it's uncomfortable then don't do it.

Aiming - i suggest to aim the middle of the barrel of the dart at bulls, then take a natural throw. See where the dart lands (on the vertical axis) and adjust the aiming point forwards towards the tip or backwards towards the flight to adjust. Once you get to the point where you're landing level with the bulls, that's the aiming point to use for now.

Release - just trust your body. Don't bother about the angles and everything. Whatever feels right, is biomechanically the best release point for your body.

Where do you normally play? I'm in SG too.

Thanks Leon, I'm currently doing a bit better with my bulls compared to before but what i noticed is that Im getting worst with the sides and bottom. Hitting the 19s, 17s, D11 and D6 seems to be really hard now. 

Im in KL, I normally go to nine marks, dartzmaniac and forever darts cafe...but only once a week to one of these places. Are there alot of dart places in Singapore? I'll be down next year Feb for a seminar.
(05-11-2017, 01:08 PM)Red Wrote: Don't over-think and over-complicate things.

That said. I think this video is terrific in explaining the basics and what to look out for.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJqP6xvDrNw]

Thanks for posting this video Red. A basic guideline to start from. I personally just try and keep it as simple as possible and not over think.
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01