The Darts Factory Guz 2 Soft Tip Dartboard review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsiIgKQIEVo

Subscribe to my channel here: click to subscribe

Update 21st Sept 2017:

The app now supports both mobile device internal camera and external IP camera

Firstly thanks to The Darts Factory for sending me this board to review and for the patience shown in finally getting it to me, I actually got the board weeks ago but was out when it came so told DPD to deliver it next day to local pick up point and it ended up going back to Hong Kong?  So bad luck DPD but you now lost a potentially large customer.

The Darts Factory is a fairly new company based in Hong Kong and I believe they started in 2015.  They are very keen to make a name for themselves in the world of darts and already have a few unique products out.

They have a number of soft tip boards and this is their latest model the Guz 2 which is the second generation of the Guz board.  Slightly strange name and I have no idea if it means anything but there ya go Smile

The board retails for around £205 depending on exchange rate and I think for April they are doing free shipping.

If you want to check out more you can visit their site here: http://www.thedartsfactory.com/

The Darts Factory have an app called Guz World that you can download for the board to use on your mobile or tablet and its available for Apple IOS 7.0 or above and Android 4.4 or above and it connects to the board via Bluetooth 4.0 or above.

The board is lightweight and portable because as well as a power adapter you can also power the board via 4 AA batteries.

As with all electronic soft tip boards its auto scoring obviously and with the app there is a number of games you can play with 1 or more players up to 8 players with your team mates being local or worldwide.

The board features an LED lighting system which you can also control very handily via the app and have various options for having the LEDs on or off and changing the colour of the LEDs around the board, you can see a demo of that in the review video above.

Another feature of the board is that it has interchangeable covers.  The front face of the board has four very strong magnets holding it in place and you can buy different coloured faceplates in black, blue, purple and pink which retail for around £20 and there is also a wood effect version which is around £40 and there will be more to come.

Also the board features outboard detection, so if your dart lands out of the scoring area it will register as a miss.

The app itself will also keep a record of your progress and there is a Global ranking system on their Facebook page.

BOX AND CONTENTS:

The board comes in a cardboard box with a carry handle.  Included with the board is the power adapter and various plugs to use for different countries.  There is 2 sets of brass soft tip darts with points and stems and 2 sets of standard flights and also 2 sets of all in one stems and flights.  There is also a soft plastic tape to help with setting up the board and a stick down oche line.  There is an instructions sheet which also doubles up as the template so you can mark off on your wall where to fit the supplied screws:

[Image: PCgDVv5.jpg]

[Image: PxazAAj.jpg]

[Image: q2kos4T.jpg]

[Image: iSYEXcW.jpg]

[Image: KPvh6ep.jpg]

[Image: L4HJO8h.jpg]

[Image: TaipdjD.jpg]

[Image: uAj1cYq.jpg]

THE BOARD:

The board is of a plastic construction.  The front cover is a little flimsy feeling but I figure that's because of its nature of been replaceable but it feels solid enough when in place as the magnets really hold it tight.  If you take the cover off underneath and the main body of the board is a clear plastic that feels a lot more robust and underneath that is what I guess is the circuit board, either that or it is just painted on for effect but as it has the LEDs dotted around on it I am guessing its the actual circuit?  

On the lower right corner is the red player button and to the right of that along the boards edge is the power input and on/off switch.

As you can see the main part of the board is coloured blue and white and in the last 2 pics you can see the LEDs switched on.

The board does not have a built in camera but you can set up a camera to use via an I.P. stream but I have not tried that as yet so not sure how easy that will be to do.

[Image: kceMpZo.jpg]

[Image: zna02k3.jpg]

[Image: ACPKthz.jpg]

[Image: hUdcp10.jpg]

[Image: 2m7jyhq.jpg]

[Image: xfP3Jji.jpg]

[Image: tCB4XFy.jpg]

[Image: Qi2cR9i.jpg]

[Image: kJqAoHb.jpg]

THE APP:

Installing the app is simple and straight forward.  Its well laid out and easy to navigate and has instructions for all the game options if your not sure about them.  It is best to register a Guz World account and connect online as when you do so more games are available to play but you can still use it offline if you wish.  There is the usual 01 and Cricket games along with Count Up, Half It and a Target training game and a few others such as Booster, Battleship and Guzy Party which are more for multi player games.  

When you choose a game you can play local or online and if available you can join an online game or invite people to join you for a game.  So far I have not played online so I cant give a verdict on that yet.  When I tried there was a few people online but I don't think they wanted to play me for whatever reason and I have not had enough spare time to try again as been reviewing the board along with other things.

So I have only played the CPU opponent so far and it seems to be set about right for whatever level you pick either easy, medium or hard but check out the video for more info on the app.

[Image: qnkt4xO.jpg]

[Image: ImLrh3l.jpg]

CONCLUSION:

Well on first impressions I thought the yellowy green look of the board was a bit garish looking even though I am fan of green but its nice to know you can change the covers to something you may like better although I suspect its more down to me been used to the traditional steel tip colours and very nearly been an old fart lol Tongue

I think its certainly a fun feature to be able to change the colours and for people more into soft tip and used to such things it will be fine.  

That also brings me on to the flashing LED's.  Its very whizzy and nifty how it does it and at first as a person that is mostly into steel tip a little strange but its also kind of cool too.  The nice thing is though you have the option of turning it off, so if it does not appeal to you then you can do just that.   The LED's will also light up a segment that you need to hit, which I guess for beginners is a nice touch and again probably something soft tippers are used to.

The interaction with the app and the board was flawless, so far I have not encountered any problems on that side and in general the app is very slick and well designed with plenty of games and no doubt more to follow.

Having the battery powered option is a good choice although I suspect if you run all the LED's on with just batteries it will drain them quicker.

Attaching the board to my walls was a little fiddly simply because my house is old and the walls are not very square but that's not a fault with the board although I think I would have liked a better way for fixing it up to the wall but I guess that's a little picky of me.  I think there is also a stand you can buy which you can connect the board to.

Online play is something I cant really comment on as yet as I have only had around 3 or 4 hours use with the board and not played online opponents yet.  I seen a few people online but they never accepted an invite so may be no one likes me Sad

I think the online side is something that will no doubt grow though and when I get more spare time I will try to go on at different times of the day and see if that is better for getting a match.

I think not having a built in camera is a bit of a minus though but if setting up your own camera works easily enough then not so much of an issue and it has options for various cameras in the app to make setting it up quicker and easier.

So far during play I have not had any problems and also bounceouts have been very few.  I think the tips that come with the darts are pretty good though, they are nice for resting my finger on and they seem very durable but the supplied darts are a little too light and felt a bit slippy in my fingers but again that is a picky point as you can use your own.

Construction quality seems good overall, the segments and I think a few other things are replaceable although a couple of segments felt a little looser than others.

There is a few home boards available now and I don't think this is any better or worse than the others but probably a little better on some things and not as good on others.  I think its got a great app and some great features with the interchangeable covers and LED's but loses out a little on no built in camera and not as high a construction standard as say the Hi Darts but I would guess its on a par with the other boards which are all plastic, where as the Hi Darts is wood.  But been plastic makes it lighter and more portable which is a plus too.

I think it will also win favour for younger people and families in general as there is a good sense of fun about it and its appeal will be for that kind of audience which I am sure will lap it up but the online mode once more populated will make it very popular with die hard soft tippers too, especially if you want that whizzy electronic experience! Smile

Update Edit:  I forget to mention the board has outboard detection so I have included that in the main text.  Also I have been told they are working on the software so as to be able to allow your mobile or tablets camera to be used which will be handy.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
As said: "Welcome to Blackpool"  Big Grin

Looks like a good Board, function wise, but to be honest that´s way too much Carnival for my liking.
[Image: signaufasta.jpg]
Nice board ,,, but,,,, with no camera ,,what is the point of online play,,,,some will say if your going to cheat it would not matter what system you use ,,,, I have read threads on WCD that peeps try and cheat at steel tip,,,, You mentioned an IP camera option ,,, I just don't see peeps buying these to have to set up a separate camera,,,Sad,,,,I see this as a good home board for casual players and practice against the computer opponent,,, Smile Just my 2 cents,, Smile
[Image: w3A1Oz5.gif]
(04-26-2017, 05:03 PM)Shotgun Wrote: As said: "Welcome to Blackpool"  Big Grin

Looks like a good Board, function wise, but to be honest that´s way too much Carnival for my liking.

LOL Smile

(04-26-2017, 05:09 PM)0ldjoblo Wrote: Nice board ,,, but,,,, with no camera ,,what is the point of online play,,,,some will say if your going to cheat it would not matter what system you use ,,,, I have read threads on WCD that peeps try and cheat at steel tip,,,, You mentioned an IP camera option ,,, I just don't see peeps buying these to have to set up a separate camera,,,Sad,,,,I see this as a good home board for casual players and practice against the computer opponent,,, Smile  Just my 2 cents,, Smile

Yeah a camera would have made it all the better.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review, also think camera is the must function. i think using the internal camera in the device is better than the IP Cam.
(04-28-2017, 05:27 AM)Kimura Wrote: Nice review, also think camera is the must function. i think using the internal camera in the device is better than the IP Cam.

Thanks!

I have made an update as I forgot to mention the board has outboard detection so it will register your miss if it lands out of the scoring area.

Also they are working on being able to use your mobile or tablets camera so that will be good if they manage that Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks for this! I am in the process of looking to upgrade my soft tip board to something I can play online. Getting to be quite a few choices out there now with no clear leader!

I would agree that the board, as reviewed, is a bit over the top. You are correct that soft tip players are used to the lights and scoring hints on the playing surface. Just not sure about all the glitz in the surrounding area. Would be interesting to see what it looks like with the wood effect face plate on.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Yeah the choice is increasing all the time, may be it will be too much choice soon!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Update 21st Sept 2017:

The app now supports both mobile device internal camera and external IP camera

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

can the app connect to a gran board 3?
would be fun to have a larger player database
[Image: 06011971610pm-nh085.png]
No I dont think it can

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One80 Gladiator 3 dartboard review Getagrip 125 46,517 12-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  Target Nexus Soft Tip Dartboad Review Part 1 Getagrip 41 4,213 10-19-2019, 05:19 AM
Last Post: heart92262
  Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core dartboard review Getagrip 70 35,995 10-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Smartboard dartboard review Getagrip 68 27,341 09-25-2019, 03:02 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  Dartman Smart dartboard review Getagrip 113 118,308 05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Kim
  Winmau Blade 5 dartboard review Getagrip 65 22,914 12-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Shot Bandit Plus dartboard review Getagrip 133 48,630 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  unicorn Eclipse HD2 dartboard review Getagrip 130 151,154 09-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  NODOR SUPAMATCH2 DARTBOARD REVIEW copigme 44 13,720 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Hi Darts Soft Tip Dartboard Review Best soft tip dartboard ever? Getagrip 133 67,275 04-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Last Post: greenbean