Short Stem vs. Long Stem

Does this help?
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

(04-05-2017, 07:06 PM)ranger86 Wrote: Does this help?

interesting stuff that
21g Harrows Fire
(04-05-2017, 04:50 PM)Karldawg Wrote: Alright gents .. .. ..

I guess I was looking for a general scientific answer, which it seems I'm not going to get Tongue  due to many factors involved, such as air density, flight shape / material, stance, grip, and whether Bob is your uncle or not.

Throw in barrel design, type of cuts, and placement of cuts, and position of grip, PLUS flight surface area, shape, texture, material, thickness and and and ... and Aunt Mary as well!  Big Grin

Anyways, if you think about it, ok, generics here ... for the same given barrel design, the length of a shaft will alter the COG of the entire set-up fore and aft, and rear grippers ought to use a longer shaft, and those who like to grab the front - shorter, even though the entire opposite could work either way for a player. Ideally a grip should be about 10% behind the COG (though some say it's ON the COG). Obviously, front grippers throw that argument entirely out the window!  Lol
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
(04-06-2017, 10:55 AM)Ancient Darter Wrote:

I guess I was looking for a general scientific answer, which it seems I'm not going to get Tongue  due to many factors involved, such as air density, flight shape / material, stance, grip, and whether Bob is your uncle or not.

Throw in barrel design, type of cuts, and placement of cuts, and position of grip, PLUS flight surface area, shape, texture, material, thickness and and and ... and Aunt Mary as well!  Big Grin

Anyways, if you think about it, ok, generics here ... for the same given barrel design, the length of a shaft will alter the COG of the entire set-up fore and aft, and rear grippers ought to use a longer shaft, and those who like to grab the front - shorter, even though the entire opposite could work either way for a player. Ideally a grip should be about 10% behind the COG (though some say it's ON the COG). Obviously, front grippers throw that argument entirely out the window!  Lol

Dart ballistics's ... very difficult to quantify !

How is Aunt Mary doing these days ?
Bulls 22g Blackpool B's, medium spinner stems with raw75 flights
2017: Ton80's .. .. .. 1
2017: 3 bulls .. .. .. 1

(04-06-2017, 04:26 PM)Karldawg Wrote:

Dart ballistics's ... very difficult to quantify !

How is Aunt Mary doing these days ?

Or qualify! As many shoot from all sorts of strange barrels, even crooked, bent ones!  :ridem:

Aunt Mary? Depends on whether she manages to grab hold of Uncle's Bob's barrel or not!  Cool Angel Big Grin
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
(04-06-2017, 06:03 PM)Ancient Dart Wrote: Aunt Mary? Depends on whether she manages to grab hold of Uncle's Bob's barrel or not!

Lol

You're getting all sciency on us Smile Great answer by the way !
Darts: Unicorn Sigma Pro 970 LP 25g
Experiments: Lots
Results: I hit the board most of the time  Wink
(04-07-2017, 07:59 AM)kresike Wrote:

And .. .. .. Uncle Bob likes it when Aunt Mary grabs his torpedo shaped barrel.

(04-07-2017, 08:23 AM)Karldawg Wrote:
(04-07-2017, 07:59 AM)kresike Wrote:

And .. .. .. Uncle Bob likes it when Aunt Mary grabs his torpedo shaped barrel.

Mother Nature works in wonderful ways!  Big Grin

For what it's worth I personally struggle with your question all the time.
In my own experience longer stems and standard flights equal more drag that makes it marginally easier to hit the top of the board.
That being said when I'm throwing well for my own standard I use short stems and either fantail or shield flights resulting in a flatter trajectory.
I would echo buying cheaper selections of various combinations of flights and stems and 'tinkering' until you find your comfort zone.
Good luck and enjoy I'm still searching for my own.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switching from a short/medium barrel to a long barrel Papa w 3 108 10-13-2019, 05:31 PM
Last Post: JerseyJon
  Long darts with long points Kaigen Moore 11 1,047 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Tommy9er
  Snapped stem Chappers 0 207 02-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Chappers
  Should I switch stem size Tez Tickle 15 1,934 05-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Wave 180
  Long vs short barrel Mattb0612 10 2,056 05-20-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Dazza1980
  Loose Stem jase1 16 2,024 04-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Last Post: Milkysunshine