Short Stem vs. Long Stem
(04-05-2017, 01:15 AM)Karldawg Wrote: Let me start over, shall we .. .. ..

My next question: would I get less wobble and a more stable dart path with a shorter stem or in other words if I make a minor mistake in my release will a longer stem exaggerate that mistake or ya know; vice versa ?

And i will use my previous answer, buy some cheap ones and try them out, everyone throws different, some darts act different, you have to find out what works for you not what works for everyone else, you wont get the magic answer unless you try
(04-05-2017, 03:35 AM)Crusher17 Wrote:

My next question: would I get less wobble and a more stable dart path with a shorter stem or in other words if I make a minor mistake in my release will a longer stem exaggerate that mistake or ya know; vice versa ?

And i will use my previous answer, buy some cheap ones and try them out, everyone throws different, some darts act different, you have to find out what works for you not what works for everyone else, you wont get the magic answer unless you try

Let me try again:  What are peoples experience here at Dartnutz ?
Bulls 22g Blackpool B's, medium spinner stems with raw75 flights
2017: Ton80's .. .. .. 1
2017: 3 bulls .. .. .. 1

I've used short stems for too long to recall why I like them but i do. I can stand the dart up more by gripping the dart near the back but it depends on the dart. Sometimes I like center grip on other darts and I can lay the dart more flat. But, that depends on the flight I have on that dart. You have to experiment with your stems and flights. I like short stems because I've got a bunch of them and they work great for me.
Hey karldawg. In my experience a shorter stem is more stable and a longer stem is less stable. Ive used almost every style flight and stem combination. I use a 50 millimeter Barrel with a short stem or a extra short stem and standard flight. If i was to use a shorter barrel then maybe a longer stem and different flight might work for me? Hope this helps.

(04-05-2017, 03:38 AM)Karldawg Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 03:35 AM)Crusher17 Wrote:

Let me try again:  What are peoples experience here at Dartnutz ?

My experience is exactly what Crusher17 says, try it and decide. Thats what i did.

I've read a lot about it, but to try it myself was eye-opening.

But if i tell you now, that my best configuration is a short stem with a mini Flight and a short 16g Barrel. Then the dart sticks straight in the board. But would this help you? It is a complete exotic setup. 

What ever, a long setup, as well as big flights help to stabilize the whole flightsystem. But if you are a front gripper i do not think that this setup fits, because the weight is far behind your hold. 

Same vice versa if you grip a very short, front loaded, system far behind, it would not work, in my opinion. 

Theory is nice, but practice experience is insane.
Beginner.  Blush
My little darts collection

180th: 14x
Highfinishes: 118 (20 T20 D19), 112 (T20 12 D20), 108 (T20 16 D16), 102 (T20 10 D16), 110 (T19 17 D18), 101 (T17 B)
The leg of my life: 12 Darts (T20 T20 T20 20 ( :s no 9darter Angel ) T20 20 20 T20 T20 T20 5 D8) 

Well, if you want a bunch of different answers on the same topic whilst the best advice is already given...

For me it's:

Shorter stem = less stable and more tail up.

Longer stem= More stable and lands more tail down.
(04-05-2017, 11:09 AM)joeriw96 Wrote: For me it's:

Shorter stem = less stable and more tail up.

Longer stem= More stable and lands more tail down.

Me too.  Also bigger flight gives me more tail up with any given length of stem.

As has been said in this thread, we can't really give you anything other than gross generalizations, put together a "tune-up" kit and have at it!
Alright gents .. .. ..

I guess I was looking for a general scientific answer, which it seems I'm not going to get Tongue  due to many factors involved, such as air density, flight shape / material, stance, grip, and whether Bob is your uncle or not.
Bulls 22g Blackpool B's, medium spinner stems with raw75 flights
2017: Ton80's .. .. .. 1
2017: 3 bulls .. .. .. 1

i tried long stems for over 10+ years. Recently tried some short stems, Both uptail,but i noticed that my darts went faster to the bord with short stems, less wobble i liked it a lot.
just to clarify my point its probably because im a rear gripper, didn't think about that when I replied. Looks like if you are a front gripper its the opposite of what i said
21g Harrows Fire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  throw feels short Darts1234 11 401 02-20-2019, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Rod Dogg
  Long darts with long points Kaigen Moore 11 924 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Tommy9er
  Snapped stem Chappers 0 191 02-19-2018, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Chappers
  Should I switch stem size Tez Tickle 15 1,878 05-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Wave 180
  Long vs short barrel Mattb0612 10 1,852 05-20-2017, 04:34 PM