Winmau Blade 5 dartboard review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6in8_4U6wMI

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel:click here

I reviewed the Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core board back in Novemeber of last year, here is the link for that: http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=23234  So I thought it a good idea to review the standard Blade 5 too and see exactly what is different.  The boards retail for around £30 - £33 in most shops but as most of you know we lucky ones in the UK were able to pick them up recently from Argos for £20 as they were a replacement for the out of stock Blade 4, so it was a pretty amazing buy at that price but as Argos are fully stocked up with B5's now its unlikely to happen again anytime soon.

With the Blade 4 Dual Core it differed from the standard Blade 4 in that it had the dual layers of sisal and also the Rota Lock wheels.  The standard Blade 5 also has the Rota Lock wheels now so the main difference is the fact the Dual Core has the two layers of sisal and also a seamless surface, probably because of the two layers, whereas the standard Blade 5 has visible veins which some people like so its not a problem and is obviously what most people are used to seeing anyway.

Both versions of the board have the new smaller triangular wire spider which is very flush to the surface and of course being thinner it allows for a slightly increased scoring bed.

Just like the Dual Core the inking is nice and deep and no visible issues to alarm, it is all very neat.

The board comes packaged very similarly to the Dual Core also, with instruction booklet and credit card sized checkout chart and all the fittings:

[Image: CKFg74b.jpg]

[Image: dkHZOTc.jpg]

[Image: MkBz7vp.jpg]

[Image: meEnmlF.jpg]

The logos on the board:

[Image: q4M8nVS.jpg]

[Image: os2HlFb.jpg]

[Image: B9D5ced.jpg]

The fittings for the Rota Lock wheels which if you dont know allows you to level the board out on the wall and keep it tight in place.  The screw for the board has a flanged section to allow space for the wheels to be fitted and when its on the wall you unscrew the wheels so they press against the wall to lock the board in position:

[Image: tCVKNAn.jpg]

[Image: hyrWs3Y.jpg]

The same wire number ring and brackets.

[Image: xNFbV6V.jpg]

[Image: 7nO7Gln.jpg]

Pics of the board:

[Image: fZ1DJPG.jpg]

[Image: dhOwxJn.jpg]

[Image: 3gIOh9b.jpg]

[Image: n2poevT.jpg]

[Image: Azatnjt.jpg]

[Image: USE9KFC.jpg]

[Image: mGHoOYO.jpg]

[Image: MBlLKWC.jpg]

Segment sizes:

[Image: 1aDWx1Q.jpg]

[Image: kZxPiUF.jpg]

[Image: NFOb9eL.jpg]

[Image: 4e6GUlk.jpg]

[Image: bRjQlHI.jpg]

Fixed onto the wall:

[Image: NFDzaX8.jpg]

CONCLUSION:

Well there is not a whole lot different between this and the Dual Core.  Apart from the things I mention above its still a great board that looks and performs well.  Initially I thought the standard may be a little firmer than the Dual Core but having had more time to test the two and push a dart in various areas its a little more difficult to tell, its possible the Dual Core has a slightly firmer feel when you push the dart beyond its top layer of sisal and the standard B5 seemed to have a few spots where it felt more soft, possibly because of the way the biscuits join and may not be as dense around the biscuits edges.  

But both boards are not that hard anyway, they are fairly soft feeling boards so may be too soft for some but I think thats the same with anything with darts, we like darts for various reasons and also we like boards for varying reasons too.

So still a very good board but I am not sure which will last the longest, my guess is it will be the Dual Core due to the two layers of sisal, but with the standard Blade 4 and the B4 Dual Core the fact the Dual Core also had the Rota Lock system made it a better buy in my eyes but now the standard Blade 5 has that I dont think the difference is big enough to warrant the extra money.

I am not sure the Dual Core is going to last that much longer than the standard which is the unknown part at present but if it does then I guess the extra £12 or so may be worth it but I think most people will be more than happy with the standard Blade 5 Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Another great review Darren, you really do make it clear for people looking to replace their board.
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

Great review as always Darren. :thumbup:

Definitely confirms that a G3 is in my future. Smile
(03-13-2017, 03:28 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: Another great review Darren, you really do make it clear for people looking to replace their board.

Cheers Chris!

(03-13-2017, 03:30 PM)Great White North Wrote: Great review as always Darren. :thumbup:

Definitely confirms that a G3 is in my future. Smile

Thanks Brad!

I don't see people going to far wrong with either G3 or B5, I have a slight inclination the G3 may possibly be the better option for some though, its a little firmer but both good boards really.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review, as always!  Would you say that the standard B5 is any softer or more firm the the standard B4?
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
(03-13-2017, 04:04 PM)Red Wrote: Great review, as always!  Would you say that the standard B5 is any softer or more firm the the standard B4?

Very similar in my opinion, that's why my new G3 is on its way!
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

Nice review mate
I personally like the veins in boards. I've never been a big fan of the whole flawless, neat and tidy look lol.
The missus has got me a blade 5 for our anniversary on the 22nd, gave it to me early but I still ain't put it up yet lol
[Image: JgVnja8.png]
Good review as always, i got a Blade 5 last week on a good deal for being in Canada, i like it i find it harder then my Blade 4
(03-13-2017, 04:04 PM)Red Wrote: Great review, as always!  Would you say that the standard B5 is any softer or more firm the the standard B4?

Hard to remember now as I no longer have a standard B4 but my B4 Dual Core seems firmer but its fairly well used now so the top fibres may be flattened a bit.

(03-13-2017, 04:11 PM)Walker Wrote: Nice review mate
I personally like the veins in boards. I've never been a big fan of the whole flawless, neat and tidy look lol.
The missus has got me a blade 5 for our anniversary on the 22nd, gave it to me early but I still ain't put it up yet lol

Cheers! Yeah I think a lot wont mind seeing the veins, I am happy either way, my only concern is sometimes you get parts where the biscuits to join together so good and may get little gaps but I guess you could say that's the character of the board and makes each one different Smile Having said that if it was not for the boards where they don't have veins I doubt anyone would be bothered by that anyway.

(03-13-2017, 04:15 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Good review as always, i got a Blade 5 last week on a good deal for being in Canada, i like it i find it harder then my Blade 4

Thanks mate! I think the problem with just trying one or two boards is its possible that some may be softer or harder than others depending on how they have been stored and whether all the sisal has been made equal etc but I think on the whole its still quite a soft board.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(03-13-2017, 04:27 PM)Getagrip Wrote:

Hard to remember now as I no longer have a standard B4 but my B4 Dual Core seems firmer but its fairly well used now so the top fibres may be flattened a bit.

Cheers!  Yeah I think a lot wont mind seeing the veins, I am happy either way, my only concern is sometimes you get parts where the biscuits to join together so good and may get little gaps but I guess you could say that's the character of the board and makes each one different Smile  Having said that if it was not for the boards where they don't have veins I doubt anyone would be bothered by that anyway.

(03-13-2017, 04:15 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Good review as always, i got a Blade 5 last week on a good deal for being in Canada, i like it i find it harder then my Blade 4

Thanks mate!  I think the problem with just trying one or two boards is its possible that some may be softer or harder than others depending on how they have been stored and whether all the sisal has been made equal etc but I think on the whole its still quite a soft board.

I agree, wish we could try more boards here without paying a small fortune
Nice review Darren.

Your board is a lot tidier than the one I got, your bull is central and the paint is good with little bleeding.  

I didn't like mine that much when I first got it for the reason it were a little scruffy looking compared to my old B4.  Nevertheless, I grew to like it, well quite a lot because I don't think about bounce outs, they don't happen that regularly.  

I find the sisal is quite firm, firmer than my B4, but it's ok I just have to not throw lazily.  lol
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
[Image: attachment.php?aid=12483]
Great review, and personally useful as a B5 or a B5DC is in my future.  Much appreciated-review will come in handy when I hit the local darts shop.
[Image: bIcnxOK.png]
What a great write up, thanks for doing that, its just cemented the board I will be buying.
There will a blade 5 heading to the Kruitenberg household very soon.
[Image: 84EIGh2.jpg]
(03-13-2017, 04:39 PM)Crusher17 Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 04:27 PM)Getagrip Wrote:

Cheers!  Yeah I think a lot wont mind seeing the veins, I am happy either way, my only concern is sometimes you get parts where the biscuits to join together so good and may get little gaps but I guess you could say that's the character of the board and makes each one different Smile  Having said that if it was not for the boards where they don't have veins I doubt anyone would be bothered by that anyway.

Thanks mate!  I think the problem with just trying one or two boards is its possible that some may be softer or harder than others depending on how they have been stored and whether all the sisal has been made equal etc but I think on the whole its still quite a soft board.

I agree, wish we could try more boards here without paying a small fortune

Yeah a bit unlucky for you guys I guess.

(03-13-2017, 05:01 PM)Swiiiitch Wrote: Nice review Darren.

Your board is a lot tidier than the one I got, your bull is central and the paint is good with little bleeding.  

I didn't like mine that much when I first got it for the reason it were a little scruffy looking compared to my old B4.  Nevertheless, I grew to like it, well quite a lot because I don't think about bounce outs, they don't happen that regularly.  

I find the sisal is quite firm, firmer than my B4, but it's ok I just have to not throw lazily.  lol

Thanks Mick Smile I think with the inking its probably the thing people notice the most, something that should be checked on quality control and remedied if needed.

(03-13-2017, 05:10 PM)Cat Wrote: Great review, and personally useful as a B5 or a B5DC is in my future.  Much appreciated-review will come in handy when I hit the local darts shop.

Thanks Sherry Smile

(03-13-2017, 06:17 PM)kruitenberg Wrote: What a great write up, thanks for doing that, its just cemented the board I will be buying.
There will a blade 5 heading to the Kruitenberg household very soon.

Cheers! Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I'm getting very close to the point where I need to get a new board and I'm torn between this and the Unicorn Eclipse HD2.

Given the choice which would you most recommend?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One80 Gladiator 3 dartboard review Getagrip 125 46,518 12-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core dartboard review Getagrip 70 35,996 10-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Smartboard dartboard review Getagrip 68 27,341 09-25-2019, 03:02 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  Dartman Smart dartboard review Getagrip 113 118,308 05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Kim
  The Darts Factory Guz 2 Soft Tip Dartboard review Getagrip 10 6,159 12-26-2018, 06:08 PM
  Shot Bandit Plus dartboard review Getagrip 133 48,630 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  unicorn Eclipse HD2 dartboard review Getagrip 130 151,154 09-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  NODOR SUPAMATCH2 DARTBOARD REVIEW copigme 44 13,720 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Hi Darts Soft Tip Dartboard Review Best soft tip dartboard ever? Getagrip 133 67,275 04-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Last Post: greenbean
  Cuesoul Pro Championship Dartboard review and Cuesoul surround review Getagrip 10 5,605 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM