Winmau Blade 5 dartboard review
(09-14-2017, 03:05 PM)Tim Tan Wrote: Thanks nixer55, what a coincidence of your same match of surround and dartboard. It is just that here in Singapore the Blade 5 costs in excess of 50GBP and to end up with an issue like that is something to consider about the potential purchase of the B5.

Are there blade 5s in singapore? I bought my blade5 dual core along with a unicorn surround from dartscorner with a 40gbp delivery fee.
(09-14-2017, 03:43 PM)shingmm Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 03:05 PM)Tim Tan Wrote: Thanks nixer55, what a coincidence of your same match of surround and dartboard. It is just that here in Singapore the Blade 5 costs in excess of 50GBP and to end up with an issue like that is something to consider about the potential purchase of the B5.

Are there blade 5s in singapore? I bought my blade5 dual core along with a unicorn surround from dartscorner with a 40gbp delivery fee.

Hi after much time checking around, i realize that there is actually a retailer in Singapore listed on Winmau's website.  It is a company called Excel and it has an outlet at Bras Basah Complex.  I called them up and they have the Blade 5 but no Winmau surrounds.  The irony is i have been to that shop several times through the years but to look at the guitars they sell without realizing they sell non-musical products.

Does your Unicorn surround fit snugly around your B5DC? Is it a one-piece type or jigsaw type?  It seems that those surrounds that are in 1 piece (non jigsaw) come in smaller inner diameter to be pulled/stretched over the board unlike the jigsaw type?  I am just guessing, as to be honest i haven't never seen a 1-piece surround before.
(09-14-2017, 04:14 PM)Tim Tan Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 03:43 PM)shingmm Wrote:

Hi after much time checking around, i realize that there is actually a retailer in Singapore listed on Winmau's website.  It is a company called Excel and it has an outlet at Bras Basah Complex.  I called them up and they have the Blade 5 but no Winmau surrounds.  The irony is i have been to that shop several times through the years but to look at the guitars they sell without realizing they sell non-musical products.

Does your Unicorn surround fit snugly around your B5DC? Is it a one-piece type or jigsaw type?  It seems that those surrounds that are in 1 piece (non jigsaw) come in smaller inner diameter to be pulled/stretched over the board unlike the jigsaw type?  I am just guessing, as to be honest i haven't never seen a 1-piece surround before.

Yea, went to that shop, also called the distributer, unhelpful at best. My unicorn surround is a 1 piece rubber/rubber like material and needs a little stretch to fit any dartboard. A 1 piece surround looks great, before I diy-ed by using jigsaw foam from daiso (pound/dollar store). The cheapest delivery fee for dartboards is to buy 2 from dartscorner for a total of 60pounds, which works out to be 30quid each. Before the b5, I bought a harrows promatchplay from a local retailer in a well known shopping district. I dont recommend the board or the shop(ripped me off on my 1st dart purchase). For blade 5, I believe dartscorner is your best bet even with the astronomical shipping cost.
I have made my own DIY surround and it fit perfectly on Harrows Apex Wire, Winmau Blade 4, Bulls Adv.II, Bulls Adv.Trainer, Bulls 5.01. Now I have Unicorn Eclipse Pro and I have problems to put the surround on because the Unicorn dartboard is apparently a fraction bigger. Mine surround is made of polystyrene and it isn't that flexible as the original surrounds are.

We use the original Winmau surrounds in our pub. They're tight to fit even on the Winmau dartboards. I think I wouldn't have problems to fit Winmau surround on a Unicorn dartboard though.
My experience is that the B5 is a HUGE improvement over the B4.

With the B4, I was very disappointed with the number of bounce-outs off the spider I would get every session. 

Way, way more than I would get off of my previous board, a DMI Bandit. I still have the Bandit (for playing out in the shed), but after about 13 months the Bull finally came out of the board. 

The B4s 25 ring was beaten almost completely out of the board, dragging much of the rest of the spider with it (about 1 year of use), before I gave it away to a friend for his daughter to use. 

With 3 months of heavy use on my new B5, I do not recall one single bounce out! (off of the spider) Outstanding! The real test will be how well the Bull fares, since I am an American and always destroy my Bull way before the rest of the board is spent. I'll get back with you in about 8 months in that regard.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Ok, I'm sold. Thanks a lot GetaGrip (LOL)....again, GREAT review. I will be ordering the Winmau Blade 5 today. One question though, since I'm also a fan of Soft Tip Darts will I be able to use the Blade 5 for Steel and Soft tip (mostly for practicing). I just don't want the Soft Tips (18g) bouncing all over the place. Not sure I want to invest in both an Electronic and Steel Tip Dart Board.
[Image: ARJSu2G.jpg]
DAYTONA FIRE JP-01JP-02, DF-10, DF-11 & DF-01
(11-01-2017, 06:23 PM)Spencerdl Wrote: Ok, I'm sold. Thanks a lot GetaGrip (LOL)....again, GREAT review. I will be ordering the Winmau Blade 5 today. One question though, since I'm also a fan of Soft Tip Darts will I be able to use the Blade 5 for Steel and Soft tip (mostly for practicing). I just don't want the Soft Tips (18g) bouncing all over the place. Not sure I want to invest in both an Electronic and Steel Tip Dart Board.

You can use soft tips on a steel tip board, they just leave slightly bigger holes though Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(11-01-2017, 07:05 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 06:23 PM)Spencerdl Wrote: Ok, I'm sold. Thanks a lot GetaGrip (LOL)....again, GREAT review. I will be ordering the Winmau Blade 5 today. One question though, since I'm also a fan of Soft Tip Darts will I be able to use the Blade 5 for Steel and Soft tip (mostly for practicing). I just don't want the Soft Tips (18g) bouncing all over the place. Not sure I want to invest in both an Electronic and Steel Tip Dart Board.

You can use soft tips on a steel tip board, they just leave slightly bigger holes though Smile

Would a Dual Core Blade 5 be better for using both types of Darts? Would the Soft Tip Darts penetrate easier?
Edit; I decided to go with the Blade 5 Dual Core. Thanks anyway for the info.
(11-01-2017, 07:10 PM)Spencerdl Wrote:

Would a Dual Core Blade 5 be better for using both types of Darts? Would the Soft Tip Darts penetrate easier?

I think either is fine really Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(11-02-2017, 03:10 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(11-01-2017, 07:10 PM)Spencerdl Wrote:

I think either is fine really Smile

Okay. Thanks for both reviews. They really came in handy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core dartboard review Getagrip 70 35,398 10-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Smartboard dartboard review Getagrip 68 26,656 09-25-2019, 03:02 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  One80 Gladiator 3 dartboard review Getagrip 123 45,568 05-06-2019, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Phil McKeown
  Dartman Smart dartboard review Getagrip 113 117,806 05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Kim
  The Darts Factory Guz 2 Soft Tip Dartboard review Getagrip 10 6,042 12-26-2018, 06:08 PM
  Shot Bandit Plus dartboard review Getagrip 133 48,042 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  unicorn Eclipse HD2 dartboard review Getagrip 130 150,354 09-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  NODOR SUPAMATCH2 DARTBOARD REVIEW copigme 44 13,490 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Hi Darts Soft Tip Dartboard Review Best soft tip dartboard ever? Getagrip 133 66,839 04-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Last Post: greenbean
  Cuesoul Pro Championship Dartboard review and Cuesoul surround review Getagrip 10 5,553 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM