Winmau Blade 5 dartboard review
Referring to nixer55's comment above, is it true that the Blade 5's overall diameter is slightly smaller than standard 18 inch dartboards? I would like to buy the B5 but where I live in Singapore I cannot find Winmau surrounds. The surround I will be using is the Puma 4 piece black surround. If it doesn't fit snugly it will be a problem to me. Information appreciated !
(09-14-2017, 07:21 AM)Tim Tan Wrote: Referring to nixer55's comment above, is it true that the Blade 5's overall diameter is slightly smaller than standard 18 inch dartboards?   I would like to buy the B5 but where I live in Singapore I cannot find Winmau surrounds. The surround I will be using is the Puma 4 piece black surround. If it doesn't fit snugly it will be a problem to me. Information appreciated !

I just measured mine and its slightly under 45cm Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Thanks much Darren! But that sounds like bad news to me.
The Puma 4 piece (jigsaw) surround measurement given to me is: outer diameter 725mm, inside open diameter 455mm. Hence it would mean the inside diameter of the surround is 5mm or so bigger than the Blade 5 diameter which would leave a gap all around. How can this happen? Do most other manufacturers such as Unicorn, Target, Harrows etc make theirs to the exact 18 inches (457mm)?
(09-14-2017, 12:11 PM)Tim Tan Wrote: Thanks much Darren!  But that sounds like bad news to me.
The Puma 4 piece (jigsaw) surround measurement given to me is:  outer diameter 725mm, inside open diameter 455mm.  Hence it would mean the inside diameter of the surround is 5mm or so bigger than the Blade 5 diameter which would leave a gap all around.  How can this happen?  Do most other manufacturers such as Unicorn, Target, Harrows etc make theirs to the exact 18 inches (457mm)?

I am not sure if they are all of an exact size as I often find some surrounds very tight on some boards and a struggle to get on, I just measured my Unicorn HD which is 46cm and the Cuesoul surround I have on it was very tight and hard to get on.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(09-14-2017, 12:11 PM)Tim Tan Wrote: Thanks much Darren! But that sounds like bad news to me.
The Puma 4 piece (jigsaw) surround measurement given to me is: outer diameter 725mm, inside open diameter 455mm. Hence it would mean the inside diameter of the surround is 5mm or so bigger than the Blade 5 diameter which would leave a gap all around. How can this happen? Do most other manufacturers such as Unicorn, Target, Harrows etc make theirs to the exact 18 inches (457mm)?
I dont know literally about your case, but I have a surround that used to fit tightly on my Unicorn Eclipse HD, and not on my Nodor Blade 5 copy. Had to add some weatherstrip to the inside of the surround to make it fit tightly.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

I used celetape and thin folded cardboard pieces, stuck all the way around the circumference of my blade 5, about 15 pieces altogether. So my unicorn surround fits snugly, there's a tiny gap in places but not enough for a whole dart to get through. I'm sure a better job could be done easily.

Also use thicker folded cardboard pieces behind to keep the surround out from the wall.
Tim Tan, I have the exact same surround in use with my B5 as we speak.  As others have noted, filling any gaps is pretty easy, and has not detracted from my enjoyment of the board.  WhiskyPops, I like the weatherstripping concept, good one...

cheers...
(09-14-2017, 01:03 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 12:11 PM)Tim Tan Wrote: Thanks much Darren!  But that sounds like bad news to me.
The Puma 4 piece (jigsaw) surround measurement given to me is:  outer diameter 725mm, inside open diameter 455mm.  Hence it would mean the inside diameter of the surround is 5mm or so bigger than the Blade 5 diameter which would leave a gap all around.  How can this happen?  Do most other manufacturers such as Unicorn, Target, Harrows etc make theirs to the exact 18 inches (457mm)?

I am not sure if they are all of an exact size as I often find some surrounds very tight on some boards and a struggle to get on, I just measured my Unicorn HD which is 46cm and the Cuesoul surround I have on it was very tight and hard to get on.
Thanks again for taking the trouble to measure Darren.   i would rather have a surround that is tight and hard to get on than one that leaves a gap, which is in this case.
(09-14-2017, 01:20 PM)WhiskyPops Wrote:
I dont know literally about your case, but I have a surround that used to fit tightly on my Unicorn Eclipse HD, and not on my Nodor Blade 5 copy. Had to add some weatherstrip to the inside of the surround to make it fit tightly.

thanks for the feedback.  Assuming the Nordor is similar in diameter to Winmau B5 (since they now the same company), it does show that the Blade 5 is indeed smaller is diameter than Unicorn Eclipse HD.
Thanks nixer55, what a coincidence of your same match of surround and dartboard. It is just that here in Singapore the Blade 5 costs in excess of 50GBP and to end up with an issue like that is something to consider about the potential purchase of the B5.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Smartboard dartboard review Getagrip 66 25,537 05-08-2019, 09:38 AM
Last Post: goonas
  One80 Gladiator 3 dartboard review Getagrip 123 43,883 05-06-2019, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Phil McKeown
  Dartman Smart dartboard review Getagrip 113 116,928 05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Kim
  Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core dartboard review Getagrip 68 34,271 01-12-2019, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Jockyoche78
  The Darts Factory Guz 2 Soft Tip Dartboard review Getagrip 10 5,796 12-26-2018, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Shot Bandit Plus dartboard review Getagrip 133 47,214 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  unicorn Eclipse HD2 dartboard review Getagrip 130 149,083 09-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  NODOR SUPAMATCH2 DARTBOARD REVIEW copigme 44 13,053 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Hi Darts Soft Tip Dartboard Review Best soft tip dartboard ever? Getagrip 133 65,974 04-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Last Post: greenbean
  Cuesoul Pro Championship Dartboard review and Cuesoul surround review Getagrip 10 5,395 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM
Last Post: Getagrip