RELAX Your Throwing Style
Hi Dartbuggy,

You've captured what I meant perfectly...it would be great if we could let the mind go into a kind of autopilot...I think it's a left brain / right brain conundrum.

At a match last night I was quite relaxed and playing ok and I found myself left with 158 left and as I approached The oche I sort of said to myself ....ok 2x T18's and bull and then cleared out all thoughts.

The first 2 sailed in effortlessly then I realised what had happened slowed down, focused etc...and got a 25 instead....and I felt like ....if only?

Last season I had an almost identical situation but with 157 to win but was totally chilled out on that occasion and got T19:T20 and without sort of thinking or really concentrating I hit the D20 perfectly centred. Funny thing too I wasn't really that excited afterwards, weird ain't it?

So there's definitely something in the nonchalance the super stars show when they play the secret is how to turn it on.

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Monster "Milkman" - 22.4Gm, Smooth Gold Points 36mm, Yellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

[Image: 0mbrxgh.png]

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

In case you have missed this great post.
I find this very difficult. It's easy to say "relax" but its a lot harder to do it, especially when you start off by playing poorly compared to your own usual standard. I do find technical thoughts starting to creep in and it rarely if ever helps but I haven't found a great way to combat it yet without wishing to turn to the booze!
Sometimes having a buddy there to talk to can help too
really great post.

some time I try to do the opposite Smile I try to use darts to relax and not to relax and play darts , I fixed a dartboard in bedroom to try to relax and train when I'm not going to do it outside the home (the other is dartobard just outside the door Big Grin) . same thing I do with the bike , use a home trainer is bad weather or when I have little time . in any case the best things often take place with the nerves drains , is to be the best contracting less muscles .
[Image: P1000497.jpg]
[Image: AdrianLewis2012LadbrokescomWorldDarts9Hb_IfcmWaQl.jpg]
Nice wall Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
I have the same issue here. The more I think about my mechanics I can't get the darts where I want them or at least near the targeted spot. What frustrates me is the fact that when I throw correctly I try to repeat that throw and I can't always do that. Then I go down the hill and my darts flying all over the board. +1 Dorian, I will try this technique you suggested and see if ti works for me.
Great post!

And it´s so true. The more relaxed my throw is the better and consistent I play. But. My problem is many times nerves and I really want to play good. I dont let i happend, I´m trying to force it. And I also tend to "stress" and I dont notice it myself, only when its´s to late and I´ve had a couple of bad turns. Then I calm myself down and play better and relaxed again. Until I get carried away again.
So I need to help myself notice when I´m gettin stressed and come back to my relaxed me....
I´m trying to get a few good breths before I step up to the oche, but when the game is on, I get carried away sometimes Wink

But when I´m in the zone and relaxed, uhh what a felling Big Grin

Personal best 13 darts.
Torn between loving and hating the game......

Helpfull stuff, thanks!
Good post. It is true that its hard to keep the right mindset throughout a game especially if you start to play better than normal. I think one just need to keep it a habit (being in that mindset) and get used to scoring better Smile I actually played some good darts when I had a cold, just because I didn't really care about it / didn't expect to win and it helped me relax my throw (and then you do win Smile.