Monster Jelle Klaasen 22g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFngH2E7UWw

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel:click here

I actually bought these in January 2016 from Madhouse darts using the forum discount code actually I bought them on Dec 31st 2015 but never got them until after the new year in Jan 2016. They are £48 at Madhouse but current at time of writing they are out of stock. I started the video review in Decemeber last year and that was the first time I had even opened the box Tongue so although they are the first set of Monster Darts I had bought the Anastasias were the first set I had reviewed from Monster Darts. I think I only bought the Klaasens purely on the looks as I was not sure they would suit me and even though the box says 22g the barrels are just a little over 20g so lighter than I would normally buy anyway. They are 90% tungsten and as far as I am aware only available in this weight.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The square plastic box with a slide out plastic tray holding the darts, some Monster nylon stems and Jelle Klaasen signature flights in standard shape:

[Image: 7MUVnQX.jpg]

[Image: aTCbso0.jpg]

[Image: LNvUjVV.jpg]

PICS OF THE DARTS:
[Image: sqbbUkr.jpg]

[Image: ORVQOAj.jpg]

[Image: F2h5h83.jpg]

[Image: vMb2VEV.jpg]

[Image: Lprt8Oo.jpg]

[Image: xY3F2WZ.jpg]

[Image: hVHsAFI.jpg]

[Image: ynJHV9D.jpg]

[Image: gkNvMVW.jpg]

[Image: WWiXI04.jpg]

[Image: Ijuk5Vq.jpg]

[Image: hmg4qqI.jpg]

[Image: x1wALtM.jpg]

[Image: wwgJsQw.jpg]

[Image: JTrlnmg.jpg]

Well I think at best I would describe them as a bullet shape, they are short with a tapered nose but have some strange grip styles thats difficult to describe but looks great if a little unusual. Overall grip level I would say is a medium at most.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

[Image: prI4Hxu.jpg]

WEIGHT:

Two barrels were an exact match and the third just one hundredth of a gram heavier so really good:

[Image: tgHkhD0.jpg]

[Image: OnlR3j9.jpg]

[Image: V2XnBrt.jpg]

Weight of full setup as supplied:

[Image: 10cw4Qt.jpg]

BALANCE:

Was a little awkward to balance due to the strange grip design but with nothing attached it was towards the front:

[Image: ez2Ozt8.jpg]

With supplied setup it moved slightly behind centre:

[Image: KQODqcN.jpg]

Balance with my own medium, inbetween, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

[Image: AhRH2NC.jpg]

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

I sort of gripped at the nose at first but after more practice I changed it slighlty so my index finger was a little further back:

[Image: ptb9qAE.jpg]

CONCLUSION:

I was not sure what to expect from these really, the shape and grip design is quite unique and I thought it would not be that good for me. I was kind of right, I dont think with my normal front grip they worked that great but after a while I seemed to find a better way to grip them and then they performed better. Also the light weight was more noticeable with these being short but I soon got used to that. The thing I found most surprising was how smooth they were in flight, may be one of the smmothest I have seen for me personally. No fishtailing and very little if any spin at all. Once I played with them for longer they got more enjoyable to throw and I started getting so decent throws but I was kind of having to make sure I gripped them a certain way each time so it was not instantly a natural feel if you know what I mean Smile

I think these could work for some front grippers but I suspect the dart will work best for middle and rear grippers if your happy with a short barrel of course. I am not sure of Jelles exact grip but I think he grips that rear section were the thin rings are so I can see how the darts will be good for that style. For me its not natural throwing with that grip but when I get a decent throw from it the darts were really well flighted and smooth.

I think the grip is stange enough that some will find parts that it feels comfy to hold and others may not settle with it at all, I think its worth persevering with to see if you can get used to it as the darts are very rewarding to throw when you do.

Quality is superb though, very nice darts and the look is unique but cool with it.

So a great little dart but probably not a dart for everyone but one I would say could surprise you if you put some time in with it.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 9 (look great)
Grip: 6.5 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 9.5 (almost all exact)
Quality: 9 (very good)
Value: 7 (fine)
Suitability for me: 7.5 (good)

Best Feature: Smooth Flight Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
I was looking forward to this review, mostly for the pictures, even though I already own the darts and use them for my main set.

Thanks as always for a great review, see you next year for the Cobra II Smile.

I bet you can now sell them for what you paid since they're so hard to come by.
Steel Tip: 
Monster The Cobra II, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Jelle Klaasen Champagne flights
Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core
PB 501, 13 darts on July 18, 2018
PB 301, 6 darts on September 24, 2017
Soft Tip: 
Monster Rapier IV MG, Dragster intermediate shafts, L-Style Haruki Muramatsu Ver.3 Champagne flights
Hi Darts
(03-01-2017, 05:26 PM)kungfuron Wrote: I was looking forward to this review, mostly for the pictures, even though I already own the darts and use them for my main set.

Thanks as always for a great review, see you next year for the Cobra II Smile.

I bet you can now sell them for what you paid since they're so hard to come by.

Thanks mate! LOL I had these long enough before even opening them so will probably have to get the Cobra II also.

I think I would probably like them even more if they were a little heavier though.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review, and you seemed to do well for yourself with the front grip.
How would you compare these to the Muramatsu darts with the shape and grip, and which do you prefer?

And that reaction on the final throw - missing the 180 - same reaction as me when that happens. Unlucky there.
[Image: 37d4kf.jpg]
(03-01-2017, 06:11 PM)sjmattitude1982 Wrote: Great review, and you seemed to do well for yourself with the front grip.
How would you compare these to the Muramatsu darts with the shape and grip, and which do you prefer?

And that reaction on the final throw - missing the 180 - same reaction as me when that happens. Unlucky there.

Thanks mate! Smile

I think I much prefer these to the Muramatsu, I actually just picked them up and had a throw at the bull, got first 2 in the bullseye and third in the 25, did not know the first was in the bullseye until I got to the board though lol seem to work well on the bull though but its a dart that I usually have to get a few throws in to settle on my grip with and that's the only reason why I would not rate them higher for me personally but could be better for others. Also the weight feels a little strange if I have been throwing my usual weight darts but its not as off putting as I probably make it sound and I soon got a feel for the weight but the grip took a little longer.

That missed 180 reaction is something I do far too much lol! Big Grin

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

The number one problem I found with all the Monster darts I have tried was consistency.
I found the barrels to be so busy with crazy grooves and rings that I had a hard time finding the same grip every time.

Incredibly well made and nice looking darts, but too crazy for me.

[Image: 28700172273_696ce155a8_t.jpg]
(03-01-2017, 06:24 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 06:11 PM)sjmattitude1982 Wrote: Great review, and you seemed to do well for yourself with the front grip.

Thanks mate! Smile

I think I much prefer these to the Muramatsu, I actually just picked them up and had a throw at the bull, got first 2 in the bullseye and third in the 25, did not know the first was in the bullseye until I got to the board though lol seem to work well on the bull though but its a dart that I usually have to get a few throws in to settle on my grip with and that's the only reason why I would not rate them higher for me personally but could be better for others.  Also the weight feels a little strange if I have been throwing my usual weight darts but its not as off putting as I probably make it sound and I soon got a feel for the weight but the grip took a little longer.

Tell me about it... Big Grin
[Image: 37d4kf.jpg]
(03-01-2017, 06:29 PM)Jugger Wrote: The number one problem I found with all the Monster darts I have tried was consistency.
I found the barrels to be so busy with crazy grooves and rings that I had a hard time finding the same grip every time.

Incredibly well made and nice looking darts, but too crazy for me.

Yeah I think that's it, getting a comfy grip you can consistently produce is sort of the problem I have with them, I'm sure others will be fine but its an unknown quantity until you actually start playing with them Smile

(03-01-2017, 06:30 PM)sjmattitude1982 Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 06:24 PM)Getagrip Wrote:

Thanks mate! Smile

I think I much prefer these to the Muramatsu, I actually just picked them up and had a throw at the bull, got first 2 in the bullseye and third in the 25, did not know the first was in the bullseye until I got to the board though lol seem to work well on the bull though but its a dart that I usually have to get a few throws in to settle on my grip with and that's the only reason why I would not rate them higher for me personally but could be better for others.  Also the weight feels a little strange if I have been throwing my usual weight darts but its not as off putting as I probably make it sound and I soon got a feel for the weight but the grip took a little longer.

Tell me about it... Big Grin

Big Grin

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

THe cobras 2 I got yester day and agree the smoothest darts ive thrown. Only got to practice with them for 30 min and brought them to the dart league and won all of my game with these new darts. Awesome for me as I am a rear thrower. Great review.
Ted Hankey  - 25g with Storms
Monster COBRA 2 22g with storms
Monster REY SOL 22g with storms
Power 9Fives v2 26g with storm smooth
Taylor Gen 3 24g with Storms
Target Haruki Muramatsu Rising Sun 22g

[Image: eZi4B3u_zps02f3488f.png]

[url=http://s571.photobucket.com/user/andjayik/media/eZi4B3u_zps02f3488f.png.html][/url]
(03-01-2017, 06:57 PM)andjayik Wrote: THe cobras 2 I got yester day and agree the smoothest darts ive thrown. Only got to practice with them for 30 min and brought them to the dart league and won all of my game with these new darts. Awesome for me as I am a rear thrower. Great review.

Cheers! Yes I noticed the smoothness from the start even if my throw was not that great there was something nice about the way they fly. Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Jelle Klaasen 21g Silver Star review The Jester 41 5,680 01-23-2019, 11:51 PM
Last Post: italNZ
  Unicorn Jelle Klaasen World Champion Natural 20g darts review Getagrip 19 3,631 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Noir - Jelle Klaasen - 22g - Review vanJupp 17 3,227 07-20-2018, 08:26 PM
Last Post: vanJupp
  Monster Anastasia 20g darts review Getagrip 59 33,719 03-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Getagrip