Setting Points (depth)....(frequency)...???
Okay, here goes.  When setting a point into a dart barrel, it's it necessary to push the point to the bottom of the hole?  Is there a minimum depth?  Are the holes in some darts deeper than others, brand to brand?  Does the depth of the holes vary from dart to dart in a particular set?  Some of these questions, I have a fairly good idea what the answer is.  Others....I'm lost.  Also, is it bad to pull points from a dart multiple times? I'm sure you shouldn't do it once a week for a year but surely someone had changed points more than twice on a single set, right?  What happens when I get a set put in and I don't like them?  I haven't done anything yet that isn't reversible but I don't want to get all willy-nilly and do something I can't fix. I may have other questions but I haven't got there yet.  Help me here, guys!   Thanks in advance!
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
When setting a point into a dart barrel, it's it necessary to push the point to the bottom of the hole?
No, but try to get all 3 darts at the same depth.

Is there a minimum depth?
I would say 5mm would be my comfortable minimum

Are the holes in some darts deeper than others, brand to brand?
Yes

Does the depth of the holes vary from dart to dart in a particular set?
Yes it does happen, if you are particularly fussy, like me, you'll get your repointer out and make sure the points are set at the same depth.  (Don't forget to tap your foot 4 times for each dart Smile lol)

Also, is it bad to pull points from a dart multiple times?
Can be, but a little loctite or other glues will put things right.

I'm sure you shouldn't do it once a week for a year but surely someone had changed points more than twice on a single set, right?
I just repointed a dart 6 times in a 24 hrs and it is still good to go. I threw them tonight at the pub and its ok.

What happens when I get a set put in and I don't like them?
Take them out and put some in you like.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
[Image: attachment.php?aid=12483]
Swiiiitch pretty well nailed it here, well done. :thumbup:
Thank you!, Swiiiitch! +1! Anyone know what are the best fit for Unicorn darts, gauge-wise? I'm looking for black points.
- Red

Current Favorite:
Unicorn James Wade Phase 1 (20g)---Short Nylon/Poly Shafts---Marathon/No.6 Shape Flights  

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
(02-28-2017, 03:25 AM)Red Wrote: Thank you!, Swiiiitch!  +1!   Anyone know what are the best fit for Unicorn darts, gauge-wise?  I'm looking for black points.

I'e used both These and also These in 38 mil with no issues with Unicorn barrels. Smile
I bought some unicorn black points to replace the silver on one set of Unicorn darts but it dissapointed me that they were too thin.  Unicorn silver are 2.355mm diameter, Unicorn black are 2.305mm diameter.  Target black points are 2.340 diameter so they are the closest to unicorn silver but might be a little loose if you do a direct swap. I've not tried others so not sure what else is available.

Thnx for the rep btw and you GWN.
__Your forum needs you... to contribute to the Dart Specs Database: Steel Tip (572) / Soft Tip (90) - Last update: July 2017
(02-28-2017, 03:33 AM)Great White North Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 03:25 AM)Red Wrote: Thank you!, Swiiiitch!  +1!   Anyone know what are the best fit for Unicorn darts, gauge-wise?  I'm looking for black points.

I'e used both These and also These in 38 mil with no issues with Unicorn barrels. Smile

Thanks, GWN!  I'll give them a look! 
(02-28-2017, 03:35 AM)Swiiiitch Wrote: I bought some unicorn black points to replace the silver on one set of Unicorn darts but it dissapointed me that they were too thin.  Unicorn silver are 2.355mm diameter, Unicorn black are 2.305mm diameter.  Target black points are 2.340 diameter so they are the closest to unicorn silver but might be a little loose if you do a direct swap.  I've not tried others so not sure what else is available.

That's odd.  You would think that the diameter of any given set or style of points would be the same.  Especially if they are from the same manufacturer.
- Red

Current Favorite:

Board:
Winmau Blade 5
Learned a few things from this, thanks Red and Switch!  Big Grin

Currently Throwing: Harrows 22g Bristows
Currently Throwing At: Winmau Blade 5

(02-28-2017, 07:32 AM)jgritten Wrote: Learned a few things from this, thanks Red and Switch!  Big Grin

I use Unicorn points in Unicorn barrels, In other I use RedDragon 32mm. If the point hole is deeper I also punt Unicorn points in them.
Other (brands) points often need Loc tite. You feel when a point is deep enough. Org. 35mm Unicorn show +- 28.60mm  35-28.6=......... Big Grin
may all the doubles be with you

(02-28-2017, 04:21 AM)Red Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 03:35 AM)Swiiiitch Wrote: I bought some unicorn black points to replace the silver on one set of Unicorn darts but it dissapointed me that they were too thin.  Unicorn silver are 2.355mm diameter, Unicorn black are 2.305mm diameter.  Target black points are 2.340 diameter so they are the closest to unicorn silver but might be a little loose if you do a direct swap.  I've not tried others so not sure what else is available.

That's odd.  You would think that the diameter of any given set or style of points would be the same.  Especially if they are from the same manufacturer.

It's odd to me too, but i can say the unicorn black fit in place of Designa silver points (2.325mm diameter) without the need for glue.
(02-28-2017, 03:33 AM)Great White North Wrote:

Great thread, I agree with everything said so far. 

I've not actually measured the points but I've found that the CD points (the 2nd link in GWN's post) are noticeably thicker than the Designa or the Unicorn points.  This means that you won't be able to seat them as deep.  I have 2 sets of the Gold 36mm MK2s and only get them to seat 4-5mm deep (in Target or Shot! barrels) rather than 6-7mm I usually get with other 35mm points (e.g. the Unicorn Needle 6 Grooves and the Bulls Swirl/Knurl points).

I also find the Unicorn point hole a hair smaller than barrels from other manufacturers, based on my experience with the Taylor Evo Phases.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shot! Dart depth Jacob Schaeffer 4 230 08-19-2019, 02:57 AM
Last Post: Jacob Schaeffer
  Dart tip penetrating board depth -pro matches CalixNL 3 456 11-29-2018, 04:02 AM
Last Post: nixer55
  Depth a point is inserted into barrel? Getagrip 12 2,726 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Getagrip