How to find your perfect darts?
+1. I usually tell people to look over RD Flightmasters / A180 Glidemasters and pick two or three radically different sets that appeal, but your advice is more precise.

One thing I'd add is that it's ridiculous for beginners to worry too much about weight. Barrel shape (determining the right one for one's throw) is far more important at first than a gram or two either way. I've seen way too many relative beginners say "my best weight is 25 grams." Then you tell them to look over Flightmasters and Amberjacks and ask them which dart is the best for them, and they often have no clue. I grant you that I have thrown 26g darts 99% of the time over the past 26+ years, but it's all with one barrel shape / size and I can throw my lady's 24g Datadart Omegas just as well (or poorly, depending on the day) because that's the same barrel shape and size. I'd be willing to bet the same pretty much goes with my niece's 23g Steffi Lucks, although I can't say for sure because she won't let anyone near them. Smile

Great post +1 Smile
(02-04-2017, 03:44 PM)Tez Tickle Wrote: Really helpful tip, +1

@Mod....Possible Sticky for newer players?

Cheers
Tez

I already stickied it after my comment Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Great post, +1 from me too. That was how I did it too, I bought a set of straight barrels, then a couple of months later bought a set of bullets, and went from there.
Very good advice.
It's been literally months since I first started, but I started out with 3 different brass barrel shapes over a wide range of weights from 18g to 27g - big nose, straight, elliptical. Shortly after I bought the Winmau Series 8.0 in tungsten that I'd been eyeing in SD because of the high grip, and then I experimented with different barrel shapes and weights to try to find my feet. I think this helped me a lot to find a permanent grip which I'm comfortable with and which isn't so susceptible to radically change if I try out a totally different barrel shape, and which is also flexible enough to adapt.

I agree with Berlin180 that weight is much less important than barrel shape. I think barrel shape is everything because it either determines your grip or is determined by your grip. I've found it's easy to adjust to different weights after a few throws, but I think after about 2 months it is worthwhile doing what I did and buy a very cheap(less than £10) set of 10g-14g and one of 26g-30g to give a sense of scale and the bigger picture.

It may also be useful to choose a dart that includes more than 1 grip style.
Very nice post. Some really good advice in there
=========================================================================================
[Image: PelXyih.png]
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Brilliant post, much food for thought Smile
Wonderful guide post. Thank you for this!
I have spent only $150 on three sets - brass, 24g and 22g tungsten. Each I liked more than the previous but never had purchased bombers. I did on this post advice.

I've never thrown a dart and known immediately I loved it. I don't think the stem is without praise on those or fault with others. But I'm probably going to buy the straight barrel recommendation just because.

Great post.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
[quote='bmalibu' pid='384057' dateline='1489349296']
I have spent only $150 on three sets - brass, 24g and 22g tungsten. Each I liked more than the previous but never had purchased bombers. I did on this post advice.

I've never thrown a dart and known immediately I loved it. I don't think the stem is without praise on those or fault with others. But I'm probably going to buy the straight barrel recommendation just because.

Great post.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
[/quote

Thanks.

Happy that my post helped you Smile
[Image: vVSMqoP.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many sets of darts you've bought before finding the perfect set? Vangolf604 148 25,985 03-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Last Post: TyrantLudd
  Winmau and how to play perfect darts *Saber* 3 1,937 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Last Post: toeirzt
  How I found my perfect darts (so far :) ) Miek 8 3,056 03-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Last Post: off the mark