Technical Problem with Drawing Back
Hi all,

First of all Happy New year to everybody!

I can’t seem to find a way out of this problem. I’ve created a movie of myself. Maybe you can diagnose what’s wrong.

I can’t draw back the dart in a straight line. My forearm twists when I pull back.  When I use my left arm for throwing I can pull back in a straight line. But when I use my right arm I can’t draw back in a straight line.

--- MOVIE URL ---

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky06buvlqnyjau...w.mov?dl=0

I started to struggle after I had a back surgery and developed a new grip. Maybe that will help.

Any advice how to get rid of this problem is very appreciated!
Hi John and welcome aboard.

I can see what you mean in the video but it also looks like your drawing the dart to your chin and may be if you try drawing it to the right cheek instead it would be straighter, but! Yes there is always a but! If the way you are throwing now is working for you then why change it? There is no sense in contorting your body in ways to make it move in a straight line as we really should be more concerned about where the dart lands than what we do to make it get there.

There is lots of players who have bent or sticky out elbows when they throw but as long as you do it consistently each time and the results are good don't worry about it. Smile
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Agree with Getagrip completely. If it is working stick with it. Look at the pros. Many come back under the right eye but others draw back to their chin, nose or even below their right ear.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Agree with all of the above. Also, you may find your drawback doesn't have to be as long as it it right now. In my case, I started to notice that hanging my right arm out in midair for hours at a time was making me tired. So I cut the distance in half and discovered I got the same power but much more consistency. You might want to play around with it.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Thanks all.. Yes I can hit 140-140-140 but it can also be gone. So there is no consistently whats so ever..

In the past my confidence was so high and A3 was my favorite drill but nowadays...

Sometimes I can't miss but most of the time I'm completely lost and the darts don't hit where I want them to. Not in the 5's or 1's but in the T12 and T18.. Terrible!

But I will follow your advice and start from the beginning again with A1.
I think its a problem we all struggle with but if the human body was totally square shaped with straight hinged joints it would be so easy but sadly its not and although we may look similar our joints move in different planes of motion which is why some can master darts quickly and the rest of us either never will or it takes many years of practice to learn what we need to do to make that dart travel in a straight line.

I think it was the other year when I found a way to throw my arm as straight as possible and it kind of worked but I had such a pain in my shoulder it was hurting for over 3 months, wont try it again!

So now I just imagine a straight line from my eye to the board and try to throw the darts along it, I don't care if my elbow sticks out or not, eventually my body will learn what it needs to learn to be able to throw it along that imaginary line Smile

There is a lot of co-ordination that needs to happen to do that, not to mention the timing of the release and the final affect your grip has on the dart, but that's where the practice comes in and I have good spells like you mention but I keep practising in the hope they will become more frequent, I wish there was a quick fix answer for all the problems we face but unfortunately there isn't one Sad

Darts certainly isn't easy!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Just watched your video during the break in wdc final. Are right or left eye dominated?
And what a final it was!

Right eye dominated.. But it seems that I draw it back to my left eye.

When I take the dart in my left hand I can pull back in a straight line without thinking.

I'm using the mirror now to try to train my right arm to pull back straight and with struggle that seems to work.
Might be worth watching Steve Beatons throws, he draws back to his chin without a straight arm but kinda windmills his arm.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drawing to side of face or to the eye? UncleJJ 2 223 01-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Help drawing back Notrul 4 474 10-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Last Post: brenthahn
  Drawing dart back to dominant eye skinnygav 17 3,550 08-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Gada