Unicorn Smartboard dartboard review
(12-18-2016, 11:56 AM)elevendarter Wrote:
(12-18-2016, 11:35 AM)mc1958 Wrote:
(12-18-2016, 11:00 AM)elevendarter Wrote:
(12-17-2016, 03:05 PM)Getagrip Wrote: 2. I have had that argument before and while the rules say its apex to apex I don't care about that fact, I want to know the size of the area I can score in, if my dart stick in the wire what score do I get?

I reckon you would get the score of the segment a dart is sliding into. Unless it is rounded wired it is likely to get your darts in when the spider is hit...until you damage the spider that much so that the wires turn the flat side up. Then it starts being even more dangerous than the  rounded wires are.

The wire is not part of the board, so if a dart gets stuck in the wire it won't score anything as the point is not touching the board.

If you hit the wire then the dart slides into the segment. I haven't ever seen a dart stuck in the wire. I get it you have a lot more bounce outs on the non blade dartboards, though...

I've not seen a dart stick in the wire for many years - I have done back in the 70's on one of the old stapled boards - but read Darren's question again, the part I have highlighted in red - if one does get stuck in the wire it ain't sliding into anything.
(12-18-2016, 12:06 PM)mc1958 Wrote: I've not seen a dart stick in the wire for many years - I have done back in the 70's on one of the old stapled boards - but read Darren's question again, the part I have highlighted in red - if one does get stuck in the wire it ain't sliding into anything.

Ok, I get it. You're right. I just think that no more than one dart out of 100 000 will stick in that wire :-)

Then it's only about how big are segments on dartboards these days. I don't think the tiny blades make trebles bigger than they were on the apex dartboards. I admit that playing on a dartboard with thicker wires is mentally harder because trebles seem so small.

At first I only wanted to point out the fact that trebles and doubles on the smartboard are the same as on any classic dartboard.

BTW, the more we're talking about Smartboard the bigger is the chance people will notice that such a dartboard exists thus more potential buyers outhere:-) Shouldn't we get some for free as pioneers? :-)
I was kind of getting at the fact that no dart counts unless it has landed or in the case of this and soft tip hit the scoring bed so I am only concerned with the size of that area really Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(12-18-2016, 02:34 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I was kind of getting at the fact that no dart counts unless it has landed or in the case of this and soft tip hit the scoring bed so I am only concerned with the size of that area really Smile

Yes. However, the dart almost always lands in the segment even if you hit the wire at first...unless it is rounded or severely damaged.

Anyway, don't worry, this is my last attempt to explain my point of view :-)
When darts hit the wire on my Blade-4, they bounce out. I get a lot of bounce outs. Way more than I used to get off of my previous board, a DMI Bandit. I am looking forward to the Blade-5. I don't see how you can measure from the center of the wire when that is a guaranteed bounce out? The perfect spider has yet to be invented. But, I sure don't want to go back to round wire. Forward, not backward.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

This is a GREAT IDEA. Too bad it's being done by the folks that don't know how to make quality stuff, and it's way overpriced. I do hope they will make a good quality product and get the price down eventually because ... hell, everything is slowly being connected to the internet ... why should the dartboard be any different ?
Darts: Unicorn Sigma Pro 970 LP 25g
Experiments: Lots
Results: I hit the board most of the time  Wink
(12-18-2016, 06:53 PM)elevendarter Wrote:
(12-18-2016, 02:34 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I was kind of getting at the fact that no dart counts unless it has landed or in the case of this and soft tip hit the scoring bed so I am only concerned with the size of that area really Smile

Yes. However, the dart almost always lands in the segment even if you hit the wire at first...unless it is rounded or severely damaged.

Anyway, don't worry, this is my last attempt to explain my point of view :-)

LOL I guess its all about objectives and my objective was not to see if the board conformed to the regulations but to measure the size of the place where I can score points Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Brilliant review and you covered all the good and bad points.
For me this is a pretty neat idea from Unicorn with some nice technology, which judging by your review has been implemented very well. Nice job there.
However, for me, the wear of the board doesn't sound so good (to be expected from a Unicorn board...), the placement of the smartbutton is asking for trouble (I can see errant darts causing that button some real damage and with the target market being "social" and "casual" players there are going to be a lot of errant darts) and the price is a bit high for my tastes.
I can see this is an initial launch from which I hope Unicorn take on the good and bad and come back with something even better and at a better price point
=========================================================================================
[Image: PelXyih.png]
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks Barry!

I think that button was probably a big headache but I have to say that the idea is great and its something that works well but would need to be cheaper to account for the fact it wears down.

But we may all be wrong and that target market may be there and it sells well, time will tell but I hope it does do well to a certain degree because I think a version 2 would be improved even more and it would be nice to see that Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Yep bad location for the button ,,, even us pros ,, we often throw the first dart to the outside wire ,,,,Sad

I see this board as a total loss for Unicorn,,, just my opinion of course,,,,Smile
[Image: w3A1Oz5.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core dartboard review Getagrip 70 35,432 10-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  One80 Gladiator 3 dartboard review Getagrip 123 45,602 05-06-2019, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Phil McKeown
  Dartman Smart dartboard review Getagrip 113 117,834 05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Kim
  The Darts Factory Guz 2 Soft Tip Dartboard review Getagrip 10 6,048 12-26-2018, 06:08 PM
  Winmau Blade 5 dartboard review Getagrip 65 22,342 12-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Shot Bandit Plus dartboard review Getagrip 133 48,073 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  unicorn Eclipse HD2 dartboard review Getagrip 130 150,393 09-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  NODOR SUPAMATCH2 DARTBOARD REVIEW copigme 44 13,496 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Hi Darts Soft Tip Dartboard Review Best soft tip dartboard ever? Getagrip 133 66,858 04-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Last Post: greenbean
  Cuesoul Pro Championship Dartboard review and Cuesoul surround review Getagrip 10 5,556 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM