Throwing Action Problem/Possible Daritis
One thing to consider (if you're not already doing it) is to add a practice drill that is all about the throw and not about the result. By that I mean, you're concentrating on throwing well and not too concerned with hitting your targets.

This may sound like a counter-intuitive way of getting better but I firmly believe it's the way to go.

Basically, you are trying to groove your throw in a low-pressure environment. As it becomes more reliable and repeatable you should see a reduction in these snatchy-type throws.

(This type of practice is A1 in Flight School.)

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
This is an interesting thread for me. I've struggled with the D word for nearly 4 years now, occasionally I have spells where I play my normal game for a short spell then I struggle worse than before. I gave up league darts this season after one really bad night in the pub, I almost fell over trying to throw the dart and put my back out. I only persevere as I love the game. I'm trying a new regime of counting from 3 down to one then just throwing, bought a set of 17g darts also. I did hit a 180 first night with them but not much else. Any tips would be appreciated.
John
(12-10-2016, 10:41 PM)Tuono Wrote: This is an interesting thread for me. I've struggled with the D word for nearly 4 years now, occasionally I have spells where I play my normal game for a short spell then I struggle worse than before. I gave up league darts this season after one really bad night in the pub, I almost fell over trying to throw the dart and put my back out. I only persevere as I love the game. I'm trying a new regime of counting from 3 down to one then just throwing, bought a set of 17g darts also. I did hit a 180 first night with them but not much else. Any tips would be appreciated.
John

I feel your pain as I've had a couple bouts with the dreaded dartitis over the years I've been playing.    What worked for me was to keep throwing, but not at anything in particular, just to get the motion back without all the hiccups of dartitis.   

It didn't happen overnight and once I started tossing with meaning it would sometimes creep back into my throw.   When this happened I'd stop throwing and take a bit of a rest and resume throwing.   Eventually it got much better, and luckily for me, my game actually improved once the yips were over.  

It is one of the most frustrating things I've ever dealt with in my life because the game is really so simple and it seems like nothing like this should come into play----------------but you and I, and many others know it does.

I wish you luck in overcoming this.
Thanx for your input Gumbo, it's beyond frustrating at times lol. I had a spell of about a month where I was playing well. Missed the bull for a 10 darter in a semi final and things felt great. Then woke up one day boom it was back. Trying the idea of just throwing at the board but the competitive side of me kicks in ?
(12-11-2016, 12:50 AM)Tuono Wrote: Thanx for your input Gumbo, it's beyond frustrating at times lol. I had a spell of about a month where I was playing well. Missed the bull for a 10 darter in a semi final and things felt great. Then woke up one day boom it was back. Trying the idea of just throwing at the board but the competitive side of me kicks in ?

** A1 and A2 are Flight School drills **

The A2 drill is just about grouping.  It has a point to it - you are trying to throw 3 darts closely grouped - but there's no pressure to hit a target.  The skill you are developing is being able to throw three darts with the same repeatable and reliable throw.

This drill (and A1) are, by design non-competitive.  I don't think it's helpful to make every throw in practice be under the same mental conditions as League.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Will try these drills. Thanx again, I'll post up improvements hopefully
(12-11-2016, 08:03 PM)Tuono Wrote: Will try these drills. Thanx again, I'll post up improvements hopefully

Hi Tuono. Late to the party but this sounds exactly like what i'm going through! Did you ever find anything that helped.
lucky noooo dartitis
I can go well and then just get funky missing stuff. It'll happen unexpectedly and always works itself out. Luckily. The thing for me is not freaking out thinking it's the end of the game. Good luck all
Little update folks.
I have been away from the board for a year or so while I moved house.

The Mrs has bought me a new board which I installed at the weekend.
The problem appears to have cleared up for the time being thankfully.

I will see how I go on the more I practice.

Thank you all once again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dart Change action Cat 21 4,810 05-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Last Post: FireStorm