Paper Airplane Thoughts
Really interesting video!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

Really glad you found it interesting!

Previous post edited to avoid boredome. As suspected, don't think anyone cares. 
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
Yeah they should put translation on it, looks very good
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(11-28-2016, 04:49 PM)ranger86 Wrote: Good morning fellow beginners!  A visualization thought.

I have struggled with the dreaded left to right scatter (26!) for some time.  I will hit the occasional ton plus and even the rare 180, but my elbow rotating out on the throw has caused great inconsistency.  I think much of this is because I spent 15 years of my life playing baseball (pitcher and shortstop) and football (Quarterback) and think of "throwing" and having the object roll off of my fingers as my hand flips down towards the target.  An outward turn of the elbow is a natural result of this.

So, I was "throwing" last night and realized something.  If I "push" the dart instead of "throwing" the dart, my outward elbow rotation almost immediately went away.  Also, my darts were far, far less scattered left to right and more up and down (but pretty close groups as in four rounds of 501 my lowest score was a 60 except for out shots).  As I thought about it a bit more, I realized that the motion is almost identical to throwing a paper airplane.  You still extend your arm in a semi-throwing motion, but you really are pushing the airplane (in conjunction with extending your elbow and some wrist action) to get a good flight.  If you "throw" a paper airplane, it will typically nosedive into the ground.

Perhaps this is strange and random, and it may only help my fellow American beginning darters/former athletes, but I am always looking for advice on how to improve.  This visualization made a rapid improvement to my game virtually instantaneously, so I wanted to share.  And it lasted for a couple of hours.  Looking forward to getting home to practice this evening.

Forgive me is a similar thought has already been posted, but I have not seen it.

Call me crazy, but if this helps just one other beginner it was worth the time to write!

This is incredibly helpful. I've been using paper plane imagery for a while and have have had mixed results, but adding the push concept has been huge. I imagine my fingers are holding the ridge of a paper plane, and I push the along the ridge. Important to have light properly angled fingers on the ridge just like on a paper plane. Great stuff.
(11-29-2016, 07:38 AM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Probably not just mental perception Ranger.  Smile

There's a reason why Japanese Dart Barrel Designers design a lot of Japanese darts to be PUSHED, instead of dragged. Hence, many rear grip designs. 

And without going on about the Japanese players' form, if you haven't seen it, it is so, so so simple, elegant in it's simplicity, yet so effective! 

Sorry if this post was boring.

Interesting this. I have often wondered if straight barrels are the best option as we need to have extra clamping force through our fingers to grip it. 
Contrast this with tapered barrels etc, where the dart shape helps prevent slippage.
I wonder if there is something to this, as the Japanese are normally perfectionists at anything they do....but then again, all the PDC world champions typically throw a straight barrel.
My morning lesson with coffee. Now I hope I can retrain my throw later in the day. I think this is very informative even though I didn't get one word spoken the diagrams and computer simulation was very helpful. I've had a love of Asian designed barrels for several years now and only had just that, with my usual unsuccessful scoring. Think I'll try a more push style.
Thanks for bringing this video back to light.
(08-20-2019, 01:46 PM)GONKO Wrote: Vid removed

Sorry if this post was boring.

Interesting this. I have often wondered if straight barrels are the best option as we need to have extra clamping force through our fingers to grip it. 
Contrast this with tapered barrels etc, where the dart shape helps prevent slippage.
I wonder if there is something to this, as the Japanese are normally perfectionists at anything they do....but then again, all the PDC world champions typically throw a straight barrel.

This is what I'm curious about as well. Straight barrels vs. Tapered torpedo shapes. So many PDC champions throw straight barrels with such effectiveness!

It's harder to push a straight barrel than a tapered dart, you really need to grip the dart very consistently and focus more.

My reason to practice with straight barrels is to face the challenge and be able to throw a simple dart effectively. Stand out from the Asian crowd here who mostly use tapered darts, easy to throw.

I've seen casual players here who play with the short tapered house-darts really well, I lend one guy my brass straight barrel, he can't throw at all, switched back to the cheap house-darts. Sleepy
Fav Dart : Harrows Nemesis 20g softip & RAZR Bulbous  20g softip
Shaft      : Harrows Heavy Metal 4g brass
Flight      : Harrows Hologram Fantail, Dimplex, Velos
Points     : Cosmo Fit Point + , CHEAP Harrows Conversion Points
Board     : Harrows Pro Matchplay
Machine  : VSPhoenix
OCD Darter!! Shy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My simple practise routines - No paper or computers needed GONKO 8 967 03-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Rod Dogg