Everyone's telling me to aim
Another question hit me today, thought I ask for a little help.

Nearly every video or text on throwing darts says one should aim before throwing the dart. It makes sense, but there isn't a lot of information on just how to do it.
I've tried to hold the dart so that I could see where it would go (something like https://youtu.be/9DrjCXZ7zJo?t=133 ) but I have very long arms and the only thing I accomplished when doing this was to push the dart up and hitting the board above D20 while trying for T20.

So, how do all of you actually do the aiming part ?
Darts: Unicorn Sigma Pro 970 LP 25g
Experiments: Lots
Results: I hit the board most of the time  Wink
Look down the barrel
Good question. I've been playing for a year now and I don't know how I aim.

The dart won't always go where you aim, but will always go where you throw it. So I reckon it's not completely necessary to concentrate on the target with your eyes, but rather aim by setting your elbow/forearm in line with the target.

That's my two cents, but I'm not too experienced either, so I suggest you await other answers, too.
I'd love to know the secret too. I'm currently trying various ways - aiming down the barrel like Phil Taylor does to just going by feel and muscle memory like Mervyn King does, but the former is demanding and needs too much concentration to be easily repeatable on each throw, and the latter doesn't always give best results.
Personally for me i think aiming is a fallacy. Its not like aiming a gun or something, you don't just pull a trigger and a bullet flies perfectly straight out of the barrel. Throwing a dart is different. Basketball players don't aim when they throw a ball, footballers don't aim when they kick a ball. For me it has more to do with feel. You spend so long practicing you subconsciously know how much power is needed to hit the different part of the board.

When practicing be less bothered my "aiming" and just spend a while hitting the targets, get a feel of how to hit them. Unfortunately there is no shortcuts to it other then practice.
Throwing instinctively, or taking the route of aiming/psuedo aiming - both works.

I guess if you want to aim, it has to be as easy, and repeatable enough for YOU, be it using the back of the flight, putting it almost up to your eye, ear or neck, or under chin. Different strokes for different folks.

As mentioned by Fordham and JD, proper alignment is always paramount, and even with aiming, it's still a rough affair. Won't bore you about pistol shooting, but something you can use is a 'hovering' method where your entire top of fingers holding the dart, and maybe even part of the dart itself becomes one 'unit' - and you focus entirely on the target, with the aiming 'unit' just below or cutting into the target area. The other of course, is to use a specific part of the dart as your aiming aid, but the focus should be on the target.

As for going instinctive, more than ever, because you're not aiming, it has to be probably slightly faster paced, and requires (also probably) a lot more practice to be consistent. Thus, the need for rock solid alignment and muscle memory, as well as focus (on the task, or act; aka, don't fling just for the sake of flinging, and think it's practice). Think of throwing rocks, or instinctive archery (look it up on YouTube, as well as Howard Hill). Also look up videos of Randy Van Deursen playing. He's instinctive, and very good.

Hope this helps.
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
What works for me is making the point of the dart go to the target. Sounds easy enough and I'm sure I do it instinctual most of the time but look at the dart. If it's pointing at a weird angle, not straight at the board, it has to travel that much more to the target.
I tried all of the aiming stuff. When I finally quit doing that I started to improve. I don't even look at my dart. Maybe, before I start my motion, to ensure alignment. The less I think about what my arm is doing, the better I do. I try to focus on the target and block everything else out. The few times I have had a run where I really got the focus tight, it scared the heck out of me. Getting treble deadly is a powerful feeling. I am no longer worrying about aiming. Aiming does not help in muscle memory training. You have to feel the adjustments. I am going to keep working on this.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

I just aim at my set point with the nose of my dart then I just look at the target.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
I don't aim in a very conventional way either, I am actually not sure exactly what I do but I think I look through my fingers at the target. So a bit like a natural sight right lol

Edit: like this[Image: pgDaDoD.jpg]
What Dartbuggy said. However, it is very hard for me to do, I subconsciously keep looking at dart, my alignment, target, follow through location, etc. I tend to over analyze everything. Sometimes it helps to just step up to oche quickly, look at target, and let it fly. If the result is poor it is a good excuse thenSmile
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

(10-29-2016, 10:18 PM)Dartbuggy Wrote: I tried all of the aiming stuff. When I finally quit doing that I started to improve. I don't even look at my dart. Maybe, before I start my motion, to ensure alignment. The less I think about what my arm is doing, the better I do. I try to focus on the target and block everything else out. The few times I have had a run where I really got the focus tight, it scared the heck out of me. Getting treble deadly is a powerful feeling. I am no longer worrying about aiming. Aiming does not help in muscle memory training. You have to feel the adjustments. I am going to keep working on this.
Excellent, I see players aiming in the general area but NOT FOCUSING . Like aiming at the house but not focusing on the door if you will.
(10-30-2016, 01:39 PM)AD18 Wrote: What Dartbuggy said.  However, it is very hard for me to do, I subconsciously keep looking at dart, my alignment, target, follow through location, etc. I tend to over analyze everything.  Sometimes it helps to just step up to oche quickly, look at target, and let it fly.  If the result is poor it is a good excuse thenSmile
Yep its that over thinking thing.
(10-30-2016, 10:36 PM)*Saber* Wrote:
(10-30-2016, 01:39 PM)AD18 Wrote: What Dartbuggy said.  However, it is very hard for me to do, I subconsciously keep looking at dart, my alignment, target, follow through location, etc. I tend to over analyze everything.  Sometimes it helps to just step up to oche quickly, look at target, and let it fly.  If the result is poor it is a good excuse thenSmile
Yep its that over thinking thing.

But Saber has been around long enough to maybe remember me arguing to the exact opposite just a few years ago. I thought the mechanics of the throw could be analyzed and perfected the way you can a golf swing. I argued that darts were not a Zen activity, but rather a motion that can be perfected.

Maybe it is necessary to go through much introspection on the movement of the arm early on. Maybe certain mechanics have to be worked out before you can move to a point where your arm becomes its own boss. I can't say for sure.

In the beginning, I was so thorough. I kept a written record of every dart I threw. I thought the information would be so valuable. Then I let that go. And I always had a new theory about how to throw the dart. And often it would work for a while. Then I would discover that I had lost what I thought I knew and would be on to a new theory. I desperately wanted to find a point of consistency, but would note on long practice sessions my throw would go through many changes. I couldn't pin it down and felt like it was always in a process of change.

Maybe I stuck with this long enough to work out many things such as my grip, stance, pace of throw, follow through, etc... but at some point, I stopped worrying about my arm. I truly feel like there is some kind of Zen thing going on. Eyes show how far I have missed, subconscious brain function works with muscle memory to make the adjustment. It works. I don't know how. If it gets broken, I don't know how to fix it. But that is my struggle at the moment, to find that focus and hold it.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Wow Dartbuggy that sounds like an echo of my ongoing situation. I did not do the note taking part, but the rest is exact. I'm fairly "stable" right now and am pretty happy with my game, but I struggled for quite some time with trying to do the "aim" thing. Same analogy as the golf swing. For me I ended up forcing myself to use one dart set instead of switching far to frequently thinking it was the dart, establishing a comfortable and repeatable grip with that dart, same for the stance, settle on a comfortable and repeatable pace each throw, and then just work and tweak until consistency started to come around. It was amazing how very little changes in any of the above affected the darts flight and accuracy. Unfortunately every players "style" is unique and trying to get any help or advice from fellow players did little to help. Although taking small tidbits of each bit of advice, trying it, and either scrapping or implementing into my style did help clarify things for me. In the end I don't think you can really "aim" a dart and throw it. It come down to proper overall setup, focus on target (not aim), and proper pace. Very similar to throwing a ball. Thanks for your input, really, really helped reassuring me I'm on the right path. ThanksSmile
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5