Trinidad Barkley 18 gram soft tip
Just got these in from World Darts Shop in Japan so thought I'd post a quick review and some pics. They're a new release from Japanese manufacturer Trinidad from their X range. The Trinidad Barkley are 90% tungsten and the barrel only weight is 18.2 grams with an overall length of 32mm and a maximum diameter of 8mm. I don't have scales etc. to check these dimensions - these are as stated by Trinidad. They come as a basic package with Condor soft tips and Condor one piece stems/flights.

[Image: rDa4Fct.jpg]
[Image: t6qdOo9.jpg]
[Image: GmyJhNW.jpg]

The darts are quite clearly evolved from the classic John Lowe barrel. Like the Lowe's / Phase 5's, they're evenly weighted and are drilled out 7mm at the front and back. The darts I've been using for the past few months are Unicorn Phase 5 LP 18 gram (complete set up) which are obviously quite similar to these. They're virtually the same length but the Trinidad's are slightly thicker in the middle and more elliptical shaped due to the extra couple of grams of weight. The other main difference is the grip - these have a very fine ringed grip with additional 'octagon' cuts at the rear of the barrel. It feels a fair bit grippier than the LP grip and looks like it shouldn't wear too quickly either.

[Image: 1NDIeTM.jpg]
[Image: TZkX8RV.jpg]
[Image: JRSkkjt.jpg]
[Image: gItRewO.jpg]
[Image: NVSeMtR.jpg]
[Image: 7PmvFLd.jpg]

I quite liked the Condor stems/flights that came with these. They're made from a very bendy material which will help with tighter grouping I'd imagine - I'll give them a go and see how they hold up after a few weeks play anyway. I've only thrown these for an hour so far but they seemed to work best with my standard flight/medium stem L Style set-up - much like the Phase 5's do. I'll give them a better test at the weekend at my local darts bar.

[Image: whgBlFL.jpg]
[Image: 7nwgDoy.jpg]

Anyhow, I'm very pleased with them so far - they're a heavier alternative to my Phase 5's which is what I was after. Its a shape of dart I already know works for me so when I spotted them here on the forum (thanks Ancient Darter  Wink ) I had to get a set. As I said before - I got these from forum sponsor World Darts Shop - they give a shipping discount and they took less than a week to reach me here in Cambodia. My first order from them but definitely not my last - all I need is a Granboard 2 to go with these now  Smile Cheers, Carlin.
Cool review, thanks. Almost seem like a good alternative to the newer Target Taylor darts.

Trinidad make great darts. I bought a set a few years back....just had a different feel to them. Like they felt like a higher quality tungsten. Didn't make sense.

Have you had an problems with the thinner L Style carbon shafts?
Right now I use the older carbon Laro's but have thought about upgrading. I use the Shell Lock punch so figured I could take advantage of the nicer L Style stems.
Do they seem to be durable?
(10-11-2016, 12:20 PM)Regulatori Wrote: Cool review, thanks. Almost seem like a good alternative to the newer Target Taylor darts.

Trinidad make great darts. I bought a set a few years back....just had a different feel to them. Like they felt like a higher quality tungsten. Didn't make sense.

Have you had an problems with the thinner L Style carbon shafts?
Right now I use the older carbon Laro's but have thought about upgrading. I use the Shell Lock punch so figured I could take advantage of the nicer L Style stems.
Do they seem to be durable?

Thanks Regulatori - yeah these also feel like a quality dart - nicely machined and very shiny tungsten. I got those slim carbon's in the same shipment so just trying them out, but they feel strong enough. I wanted a set of slims because of the way I hold the dart being an extra short barrel - it gives me something to push against. I usually use standard carbon laro's too but they've been flying beautifully with these so far. I'll let you know how they're holding up after more intensive use - if I do break one I won't be buying them again  Rolleyes
Nice review! +1

They look very cute darts, small and neat Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(10-11-2016, 01:51 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Nice review! +1

Pretty much what I was going to say. Smile

Like your final setup of them as well, enjoy. :thumbup:
I think they're a beautiful dart. Good luck with them
I am quite fond of the Condor flights too, still got my first set although they are falling apart now but I still throw with them lol
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]

(10-11-2016, 02:33 PM)Great White North Wrote:

Pretty much what I was going to say. Smile

Like your final setup of them as well, enjoy. :thumbup:

(10-11-2016, 02:42 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: I think they're a beautiful dart. Good luck with them

(10-11-2016, 03:41 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I am quite fond of the Condor flights too, still got my first set although they are falling apart now but I still throw with them lol

Thanks dartsnutz  Smile really enjoying these darts now - they seem to be going everywhere I want them to which is always good. Darren, the Condor flights are a very good update of an old concept - if they were cheaper I might be tempted to switch from L Style gear to these - I'll see how they last whilst using for soft tip only.
I'm glad they're working out for you, Carlin!  Wink

They look absolutely stunning! I wish I could throw such a short dart, even though I've never tried it.
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
Hey mate,

Just wondering how these darts are going for you and how they are wearing a few years on? Also what L-style length stem are you using with these?

Awesome photos by the way! Fan of Trinidad barrels and I have got a few myself. Really like the barrels they put out. Great quality!
(05-21-2019, 06:00 AM)daloeh Wrote: Hey mate,

Just wondering how these darts are going for you and how they are wearing a few years on? Also what L-style length stem are you using with these?

Awesome photos by the way! Fan of Trinidad barrels and I have got a few myself. Really like the barrels they put out. Great quality!

Thanks daloeh  Smile  I'm still throwing these from time-to-time. I have a few sets of similar bullet barrels and tend to switch between when wanting to change weight/grip etc. The Trinidad's are still in really good condition - just a couple of nicks here and there, although, as I said, they only get occasional use. I always use medium stems with short barrel darts - either carbon L Style slim 370 or Harrows Dimplex if I switch to a nylon. I've tried a shorter stem and immediately noticed the dart was not as controllable - for me anyway. Here's a comparison with some other bullets.

[Image: 99znENU.jpg]

These Winmau Calibra are what I've been using the most for a while now - they're an 18g barrel weight, same as the Trinidad's.

[Image: bWjJvzX.jpg]
Very nice darts. I'm fond of bullet style I'm planning to buy some Trinidad bullet set as well. Are you using l style flight on normal nylon stems?
Thanks for the update Carlin! The Calibra are some nice darts as well. First saw them when Japanese Guy TV was using them and I might grab a set some time down the road from the UK as Winmau darts are hard to get over here. Got myself a set of John Lowe Golden Hero's and plan to put on L-style 330. Found my darts fly a bit weird with slims.
(05-21-2019, 02:41 PM)Luca82cb Wrote: Very nice darts. I'm fond of bullet style I'm planning to buy some Trinidad bullet set as well. Are you using l style flight on normal nylon stems?

Thanks Luca  Smile they're a really nice dart the Barkley's. The Unicorn Phase 5 LP's are also a good choice if your after a soft-tip bullet. I've found that L Style flights work well with a lot of regular stems - the Dimplex in particular are a great fit for them.

(05-22-2019, 01:53 AM)daloeh Wrote: Thanks for the update Carlin! The Calibra are some nice darts as well. First saw them when Japanese Guy TV was using them and I might grab a set some time down the road from the UK as Winmau darts are hard to get over here. Got myself a set of John Lowe Golden Hero's and plan to put on L-style 330. Found my darts fly a bit weird with slims.

Yeah I had to get those Calibra's sent from the UK. I really like them so they're getting a lot of air time. The grip has a really nice texture and they also look pretty cool   Cool
Great review, great looking darts , they look too nice to throw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trinidad Yoriboy 21g Darts Review Getagrip 9 830 11-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Trinidad reviewed darts mc1958 4 1,586 11-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  Trinidad Tucker 22.5g Darts Review Getagrip 9 3,319 11-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Trinidad Lopez type 4, 20g theblindPew 13 3,425 09-17-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Ed13
  Trinidad X Shadow 20g darts review Getagrip 25 9,781 06-02-2018, 03:16 PM