One80 Gladiator 3 dartboard review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIK5dgxP3PY

I took delivery of the new One80 dartboard a few days ago and I know many have been eagerly awaiting its arrival since it was first announced so finally that wait is over, or it will be very soon when it hits the shops Smile

As most of you know I thought the Gladiator 2 was a superb board and I think it was just pipped by the B4DC as the best board at the time, I know a few others have come out since then but is the Gladiator 3 improved enough to be crowned top dartboard?  Lets find out Smile

The board will retail for 59 Euros which is around £51 so its almost twice the price of the current G2 price and probably the most expensive board on the market at present.  However it does come with the Rotafix fixing bracket which is obviously adding to the cost, so the real question is whether its worth paying the extra for this over the G2?

You can find my review of the Gladiator 2 here: Gladiator 2 review

Also here is my review and fitting guide for the Rotafix: Rotafix review

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

Box artwork includes a pic of me on the front although I am not too happy they airbrushed my face out.  On the reverse is some board hanging instructions and with the board is included the Rotafix and fittings along with some standard bracket and fittings and instruction sheets.

I did not set mine up with the Rotafix as I was putting the board in my Halo lighting surround but if your fitting the board on a wall I highly recommend you use the Rotafix, it makes turning the board easy and precise and also helps to deaden the sound.  

One neat touch with the One80 boards is the threaded hole for the wall bracket bolt, it makes it nice and easy and secure Smile

[Image: gladiii1_zpsjqrdnldy.jpg]

[Image: gladiii2_zps27ss7hy4.jpg]

[Image: gladiii3_zpsgvzd48pl.jpg]

[Image: gladiii4_zpskwmghd2x.jpg]

[Image: gladiii5_zpsvkm4ryeh.jpg]

BOARD LOGOS:

As One80 have sponsored the EDO with their boards we now have the EDO badge on the board:

[Image: gladiii6_zpst6njhcmz.jpg]

[Image: gladiii7_zpsonpuo2xf.jpg]

[Image: gladiii8_zpsrln9shqk.jpg]

BULL AREA:

Bullseye like the G2 is nice and central:

[Image: gladiii9_zpsmxzubr60.jpg]

[Image: gladiii10_zpsuracmzh6.jpg]

[Image: gladiii11_zpspn2pt3ol.jpg]

VARIOUS BOARD PICS AND SPIDER:

[Image: gladiii12_zps6ihso2eq.jpg]

[Image: gladiii13_zpsfdy7ey8n.jpg]

[Image: gladiii14_zpsljkfohaf.jpg]

[Image: gladiii15_zpsldoafrug.jpg]

[Image: gladiii16_zpsyrm0pvae.jpg]

[Image: gladiii17_zpso9tmbzz3.jpg]

[Image: gladiii18_zpsrzesuaqo.jpg]

[Image: gladiii19_zpspewygzn0.jpg]

The number ring is a traditional style round wire one and is non painted which I think a lot of people prefer.  Once again the spider is very thin and is called the Sword Edge Wire and again its thinness means slightly bigger scoring area in the segments.

Colours on the board are very neat and clean and no patches on the segments except for a slight issue mentioned below.  It is overall vibrant, neat and clear and edges where the spider is seated is neat and cut clean.  Although its a board that has veins it is surprisingly clear throughout and no major blemishes in the sisal surface.  Its uniformally flat and neat across the surface.

I am not sure if the spider itself has been improved as it does look very similar to how it looked on the G2 but on the legs that protrude outwards there is some that have a kind of square metal bit, I think this may be a spike used to seat the spider into the back of the board, should not be a problem as its outside the board so it does not matter if your dart hits it I guess:

[Image: gladiii20_zps3jfowhxt.jpg]

Also as I mentioned in my quick look thread my board has a dark band on the 13 segment and a lighter ring around the outer edge of the spider, I can only think its caused by the machine pressing the spider into position and it been done while the board was not fully dry and thus taken a little ink off the surface, I have seen other pics where the board looks fine so I probably just got a little unlucky there.  Having said that its not a big issue and I cant say I noticed from the oche Smile

[Image: gladiii21_zps4bverlip.jpg]

DIMENSIONS:

[Image: gladiii22_zps7watxwdi.jpg]

[Image: gladiii23_zpsllropn8y.jpg]

[Image: gladiii24_zpsukskfjln.jpg]

[Image: gladiii25_zpskkpjhyla.jpg]

[Image: gladiii26_zpsteyx4hfg.jpg]

[Image: gladiii27_zpsifh2u20r.jpg]

[Image: gladiii28_zps0vavzpku.jpg]

VIEW FROM THE OCHE:

[Image: gladiii29_zpsd33va8yo.jpg]

CONCLUSION:

Well once again its a really nice board but initially its hard to see what if anything has been changed from the G2.

My guess is the spider may have had a slight change but its probably more to do with how its attached than the actual width/composition of the wires.  But I think the sisal seems to be different in density.  From what I remember I think the G2 was a little denser than this G3.  I did my usual thumbnail test and it went in very easy on the white section was a little harder on the green and red and then quite hard to penetrate on the black.

I do think the ink on the black has been applied deeper into the fibres though so that could be binding the surface of the fibres a little.

Throwing darts at it though was no problem, they penetrate smoothly and easily and I could barely see the holes in the black upon pulling them out.  So it possibly could be a good healing board although I purposely left the board for 24 hours after throwing and some holes were still visible but very small.

I did think the board sounded extremely quiet though, I think it would be even more quiet had I fitted the Rotafix.

I am not going to declare it the best board like I did with the G2 though, not because I don't think its worthy of such a title but because I think there is a few contenders now and I firmly believe after hearing so many views from people around the net that there is no one board that is outright the best because people seem to have their own preferences for various reasons.  What I will say is at present the board is definitely near the top of the list but I am not sure its advanced enough over the G2 to warrant the higher price tag.

So once again its a really nice board and the only thing I cant test in this short period is the wear.  I thought my G2 was a pretty good board for wear and I'm hopeful this one will be too so all I can do is an update in 3 months and will see how it fares. Smile

Updated info 31/8/16:

Price for UK may be around £40 and the big improvement is on the sisal and how it performs and also on the inks which in turn affects the sisals performance, cosmetically its a similar look but a lot of thought has gone into improving it, here is some info from One80:

The Gladiator 3 is the latest dartboard to be introduced on the market by One80 and represents a big step forward in the technology of dartboard production. Although the technical changes have been substancial, the optical presentation has been kept close to its predecessor the Gladiator 2.
With the G3, One80 has addressed the time old problem of playability versus durability, increasing the depth penetration of the dartpoint in the board and ensuring an increased grip of the sisal on the point. Both these factors contribute to the improved performance and durability of the Gladiator 3.
This has been achieved by the following changes in production:
The use of a new premium African sisal which has considerably more elasticity than the previous sisals used.
Special treatment of the sisal used for the G3 production
Development of new machines for the pressing procedure of the sisal onto the backboard, which inverse the complete procedure thereby guaranteeing the straightness and elasticity of the sisal.
A new high performance color paint has been used on the G3 allowing the sisal to breath freely and not sealing the surface.

As a result of the above mentioned changes, One80 proudly presents the new Gladiator 3, which sets the new standard for high performance dartboards.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Very nice review Darren, nice to know about the sound of the board, as quiet as the HD2 ?

I guess the price is the driving factor, if they did a version without Rotafix then it might seem more appealing to the masses.
180 Target for 2018 - (Just one, one small measly 180, please..... ) Target Met 4!
Great review once again. Top notch

Which board do you prefer, HD2 or this G3? Smile
Fine review as always Darren, well done. :thumbup:

As you mentioned there's not much between the 3rd installment and it's predecessor other than the bracket really.  Something tells me that there will be a fair bit of Gladiator 2's being scooped up. Wink
Disappointed with the price!

I was waiting for this to come out after all the ravings over the II but I didnt think it would be so expensive!
I will be ordering a II shortly Smile
[Image: 27131285181_5e5a5c7a9d_b.jpg]
Nice review as always!.

Yes it seems a tad on the expensive side for something that's hard to differ from the old product.

Think I will swerve this & opt for the G2.
(08-23-2016, 03:33 PM)goonas Wrote: Very nice review Darren, nice to know about the sound of the board, as quiet as the HD2 ?

I guess the price is the driving factor, if they did a version without Rotafix  then it might seem more appealing to the masses.

Thanks!

It just may be a tad quieter, I will need to do another check, I could use my phone with a sound/decibel recording app but not sure how reliable those things would be.

(08-23-2016, 03:46 PM)xCyrekkz Wrote: Great review once again. Top notch

Which board do you prefer, HD2 or this G3? Smile

Cheers!

Well I still think the HD2 has a nice look and still the neatest flushest spider but it does not heal the holes so well and that is spoiling it overall. Will have to see how the G3 wears I think.

(08-23-2016, 03:52 PM)Great White North Wrote: Fine review as always Darren, well done. :thumbup:

As you mentioned there's not much between the 3rd installment and it's predecessor other than the bracket really.  Something tells me that there will be a fair bit of Gladiator 2's being scooped up. Wink

Cheers!

I think the changes/improvements are probably ones we cant see as it looks very much the same but it may be that they have improved the spider and sisal to wear better and also be better for people who thought it was too hard on the G2.

(08-23-2016, 04:21 PM)Sidewinder Wrote: Disappointed with the price!

I was waiting for this to come out after all the ravings over the II but I didnt think it would be so expensive!
I will be ordering a II shortly Smile

Yeah its a shame but I suspect the price will drop in a few months and if you use a 10% discount code it will take around £5 off so that helps but obviously it is still more than the G2 and its hard to justify the extra cost over that as G2 is still a very good board.

(08-23-2016, 04:25 PM)Jaws Wrote: Nice review as always!.

Yes it seems a tad on the expensive side for something that's hard to differ from the old product.

Think I will swerve this & opt for the G2.

Thanks! I think a lot will be thinking the same.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Awesome rv as per. Been waiting for this board for a long time but that price is far too much considering it doesn't seem a great deal different from the g2. (BTW the g2 is superb and it has lasted really well. Takes a while to break in though as the sisal is pretty dense). Plus I use a dartscaddy stand and the rotafix would be of no real use to me.
[Image: oIDxeLS.png]
Great Review,,,,Smile
[Image: w3A1Oz5.gif]
Excellent review as always.

As mentioned plenty already it is the price that is putting me off making it a contender for my next board. If it came in the £30 to £40 price range then I would consider it seriously. The B4 DC with the rota fix bracket is currently £39 with Madhouse.
Give it 12 months and I'd guess that price will come down, hopefully.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Smartboard dartboard review Getagrip 66 25,443 05-08-2019, 09:38 AM
Last Post: goonas
  Dartman Smart dartboard review Getagrip 113 116,853 05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Kim
  One80 Gladiator II (2) Chr1st2aan 80 27,102 04-24-2019, 12:41 PM
Last Post: mondo
  Winmau Blade 5 Dual Core dartboard review Getagrip 68 34,191 01-12-2019, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Jockyoche78
  The Darts Factory Guz 2 Soft Tip Dartboard review Getagrip 10 5,778 12-26-2018, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Winmau Blade 5 dartboard review Getagrip 65 21,378 12-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Shot Bandit Plus dartboard review Getagrip 133 47,155 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  unicorn Eclipse HD2 dartboard review Getagrip 130 148,952 09-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  NODOR SUPAMATCH2 DARTBOARD REVIEW copigme 44 13,015 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Hi Darts Soft Tip Dartboard Review Best soft tip dartboard ever? Getagrip 133 65,871 04-11-2018, 05:27 AM
Last Post: greenbean