Unibet Champions League Groups Announced
[Image: michael-van-gerwen-phil-taylor-lawrence-...ropto=left]
MICHAEL VAN GERWEN and Phil Taylor will renew their rivalry in the Unibet Champions League of Darts following the confirmation of the competing players for September's inaugural BBC2-televised event.

Dutch star van Gerwen has surpassed 16-time World Champion Taylor as the world number one in recent years, and overcame the 55-year-old 18-10 in the recent World Matchplay final in Blackpool.

The rivals will be joined by Scottish duo Peter Wright and Robert Thornton in Group A for the round-robin phase of the BBC2-televised Champions League of Darts next month in a tasty quartet who will face off over the opening three sessions in Cardiff.

Group B will feature reigning World Champion Gary Anderson, two-time World Champion Adrian Lewis, multiple-major winner James Wade and the former World Youth Champion Michael Smith, with the groupings based on the standard seeding pattern for PDC events.

The opening fixtures in the afternoon session of Saturday September 24 will see van Gerwen take on Thornton, in a repeat of the 2015 World Grand Prix final, while Taylor faces Wright, the colourful world number five.

Scottish superstar Anderson will take on St Helens' emerging ace Smith, while a tasty fixture sees Lewis meet with Wade - with the pair having enjoyed many memorable clashes over the past decade, including the Stoke ace landing a nine-dart finish when they faced off in the Premier League in April.

Saturday's evening session will see the players compete in their second fixture, as the afternoon's two winning players in each group then meet and the two losers in each group also face off.

Sunday's afternoon session will then feature the remaining round-robin fixtures, before the top two players from each group move through to play off for the title in Sunday evening's semi-finals and final.

"We were already excited by the prospect of the world's top eight players competing in the Unibet Champions League of Darts, but seeing the groups has given an even greater anticipation for this event," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

"The rivalry between Michael van Gerwen and Phil Taylor has built over nearly a decade and all eyes will be on them when they meet - but they've both got important openers against Robert Thornton and Peter Wright to overcome first.

"Group B will include a rematch of the World Championship final between Gary Anderson and Adrian Lewis, and when they are on top of their games they're a joy to watch, and with James Wade and Michael Smith in the mix too it's going to be another tight group."

[size=2]Tickets, starting from just £15, are still available for the Unibet Champions League of Darts.

To purchase call the Motorpoint Arena Box Office on 02920 22 44 88 or visitwww.ticketmaster.co.uk.
[/size]

Unibet Champions League of Darts
Group A

Michael van Gerwen (1)
Phil Taylor (4)
Peter Wright (5)
Robert Thornton (8)

Group B
Gary Anderson (2)
Adrian Lewis (3)
James Wade (6)
Michael Smith (7)

Saturday September 24
Afternoon Session (1pm)

Group A
Michael van Gerwen v Robert Thornton
Phil Taylor v Peter Wright
Group B
Gary Anderson v Michael Smith
Adrian Lewis v James Wade
Order of matches TBC

Evening Session (6.30pm)
Second Group Matches
Afternoon session's Winners play each other, and Losers play each other.

Sunday September 25
Afternoon Session (1pm)

Third Group Matches

Evening Session (6.30pm)
Semi-Finals
Final

For full ticket information and Terms & Conditions, see www.pdc.tv/tickets.
[Image: oz1OCc3.jpg]
In a way it is nice to have more tournaments, but for me there are too many the same names, too little space for surprises. And too little chance to give exposure to the big stage for the newer players due to the limited number of spots in these events. I'm sure the event will be really great and I will definitely watch, but still hoping to see some innovative new tournaments in stead of more the same.
Match Darts: Target Phil Taylor gen 3, 22 g
Best 501:
19 darts
180s (2017):
 91/60

180s (2018): 87
180s (2019): 7

Can't see me watching unless they make it something different like 1001 double in double out, or even play it on a quadro board.
It's hard to disagree that many of the tournaments have the same players at the business end. I guess that's the reward for being up there but it would be nice to see a bit of variety.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
PDC darts on the BBC?

Did I miss the announcement of this previously?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(08-12-2016, 02:08 PM)Getagrip Wrote: PDC darts on the BBC?

Did I miss the announcement of this previously?

Nope lol

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=18564
Ah cool, that means the dementia gene is kicking in early, hold on that's not cool Sad

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I think it would be cool to have a couple more tournaments like the UK Open with a random draw, except maybe the top 16 in the world.
Current Setup: 22g Reddragon Dragonflys
From Ontario, Canada
Best game: 11 darts
Instagram: @weswrestle10 
I think we could dream up some very interesting ideas for comps, how about one where a PDC player teams up with a BDO player to play other PDC/BDO pairings?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Quadro board as I said earlier; 701 or 1001 double in double out; equal darts; NOTW format of best of 3 legs only - they need to do something different to the norm for a change
Double in Double out would be no harm either. It throws up a bit of drama now and again.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

They could also have one of their best of 19 events or whatever, but have no advert breaks - that would sort out who can handle the pace as well

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2020 Unibet Premier League mc1958 165 7,565 04-09-2020, 10:31 AM
Last Post: mc1958
  2019 Grand Slam Preview (Groups A & B). leon0677 0 203 11-05-2019, 10:55 PM
Last Post: leon0677
  2019 Unibet European Championship mc1958 74 3,046 11-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Last Post: SamCarter501
Shocked 2019 Champions league of Darts PAULCFC 66 2,035 10-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Kenny1872
  2018 Unibet European Championship mc1958 125 5,800 10-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  2018 Unibet World Grand Prix mc1958 108 5,909 10-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Last Post: sjmattitude1982
  2018 Paddy Power Champions League of Darts mc1958 33 1,956 09-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Little al
  2018 Champions League of Darts mc1958 3 801 08-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Last Post: woodmagnet
  World Series of Darts 2018 dates and players announced mc1958 46 4,176 08-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Last Post: joeriw96
  Chisnall & Whitlock Seal Champions League Spots mc1958 0 505 08-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Last Post: mc1958