Harrows Darts.

Aurora Halo Dartboard Lighting surround review

video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycn0bwE_LSc

As you all know our very own Ben Platts aka Est1874 has made a very nice and neat lighting surround and he very kindly sent me one to review, so here we go Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Ben is selling these for £95 plus £10 delivery so £105 in total but if your an active forum member you can get 10% off.
With the surround you get the power supply and cord for the lights and some screws and raw plugs to fix to wall.

I already knew Ben had made the surround bigger than others for very specific reasons so I was kind of expecting it to be quite big and I was a little worried it may be too big to fit where my board is as I have a fitted wardrobe close to it.

Thankfully it fitted just right and although it is a large surround its only slightly bigger than a standard foam surround so not excessively large.

What did surprise me the most though is just how well made it is, Ben has really put some thought and care into making it as high a quality as possible and you would never have thought it was made originally as just a home made surround, its very well crafted with some neat touches here and there.

The LED's are sat in a little recess on the inside of the surround and there is some trunking to protect the inside wire and where the power cable comes through the surround its got a neat little rubber gromit to make a nice neat and secure fit.

But the surround itself has been very neatly made and its practically seamless the way the front and back are fixed together and its painted very smoothly to a nice finish, even the back is painted!

The surround uses 138 5630 LED strip lighting which gives a perfect amount of brightness and the way the surround is shaped it covers the board evenly.

It is 770mm in diameter and 157mm deep and the viewing portal (the opening you see from the oche) is 667mm.

Its a complete unit which means it has a back panel and therefore needs to be fitted to the wall, you cant put it straight over the top of the board.

Ben provides some screws and raw plugs and has holes pre drilled on the back panel so you can fix it to the wall, it is possible just to use the board bracket to attach it to the wall but better to be safe than sorry and fix it properly.

This brings me to my only problem with it, I am not the greatest at DIY and I did find it a little fiddly to set up, it certainly was not impossible but I think its best to have 2 people to do it, one to hold the surround while you mark the holes.

To set it up I put a nail in the wall at bull height and as Ben has thoughtfully drilled a hole through the centre of the back panel I just put the hole over the nail.  Then I marked my holes but as you can see from the pic below I did not get my bracket very straight, but it was still at the right height so it was all good in the end.

Even though I am not that good at DIY I still managed it well enough, and once its up then you can rotate your board easily without needing to remove the surround and you can still fit a foam surround if you wish so it does have some advantage to been permanently fixed.

So on the whole I am very impressed with this lighting surround, it works just as you would expect it to and is very neatly made but the only issue is it may take a little time to set up initially but its worth it, a very impressively crafted product from Ben Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Lights on but no room lights:

With room lights on too:

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review Darren +1 True that it basically is a 2 man job to install but me and my dad got it up within 10 minutes I think, so best to get some help to put it up. Would recommend this surround for sure.
Good review nice set up, that surround would look so much better without Barney on it the black & gold look sharp lol
Very timely as I just pulled the trigger on one a couple of minutes ago. Nice review.
2016 - 180 x 36, 170 x 1, Triple Bulls (150) - 1
2017 - 180 x 139, Triple Bulls (150) - 1
2018 - not couting, just throwing
Best leg - 11 darts

Lewis Gen 2 / Anderson Phase 3 Golden
Good looking piece of kit - lots of choices now for people looking for 360 board lighting systems.
Thanks for the review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

Glad you liked it, sorry it was a bit of a faf to put up, hope you enjoy playing on it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

I put mine up on my own, I found the hardest part locating the nail through the hole in the centre, a piece of cotton tied to the end soon sorted this out! and of course when you get it positioned and then realise you have no tools to hand!
As with everything like this, 2 people will get it done much easier than one. When I put mine up I already had a bracket on the wall so I took the bracket off, then once the surround was screwed to the wall then I just lined up the bracket and put a couple of pilot holes in and then screwed straight into the original wall plugs from the bracket.

They do take longer than the home pro to put up, but once they're up there's no need to touch them again.

I need to put a video of how to install these on YouTube when I get time to, it didn't occur to me until I was watching the review that if you're not sure of how to do it there's no support to quickly google! I'll get one up as soon as I can.
Fine review again Darren. :thumbup:

Clean and a well fabricated piece of kit, well done Ben (Est. 1874). Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Brad
That really looks awesome!.
I can almost see it on my wall
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Uhmmm. Where's the part where you actually throw darts so we can see what in-board darts look like? Lol
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
(08-03-2016, 06:49 PM)joeriw96 Wrote: Great review Darren +1 True that it basically is a 2 man job to install but me and my dad got it up within 10 minutes I think, so best to get some help to put it up. Would recommend this surround for sure.

Yeah it would be quicker with 2 people.

(08-03-2016, 06:57 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Good review nice set up, that surround would look so much better without Barney on it the black & gold look sharp lol

Cheers!

(08-03-2016, 07:36 PM)blacko Wrote: Very timely as I just pulled the trigger on one a couple of minutes ago. Nice review.

Nice one, hope you like it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-03-2016, 07:58 PM)mc1958 Wrote: Good looking piece of kit - lots of choices now for people looking for 360 board lighting systems.

Yeah we are spoilt for choice definitely Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-03-2016, 09:37 PM)Est1874 Wrote: Thanks for the review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

Glad you liked it, sorry it was a bit of a faf to put up, hope you enjoy playing on it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

I put mine up on my own, I found the hardest part locating the nail through the hole in the centre, a piece of cotton tied to the end soon sorted this out! and of course when you get it positioned and then realise you have no tools to hand!
As with everything like this, 2 people will get it done much easier than one. When I put mine up I already had a bracket on the wall so I took the bracket off, then once the surround was screwed to the wall then I just lined up the bracket and put a couple of pilot holes in and then screwed straight into the original wall plugs from the bracket.

They do take longer than the home pro to put up, but once they're up there's no need to touch them again.

I need to put a video of how to install these on YouTube when I get time to, it didn't occur to me until I was watching the review that if you're not sure of how to do it there's no support to quickly google! I'll get one up as soon as I can.

Thanks Ben, I actually put the nail in then just looked through the hole in the panel and lined it up with the nail and put it over the nail, I still think 2 people would be best but I am not that good at these sort of things anyway but still managed it ok in the end Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-03-2016, 10:13 PM)Great White North Wrote: Fine review again Darren. :thumbup:

Clean and a well fabricated piece of kit, well done Ben (Est. 1874). Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Brad

Thanks Brad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(08-03-2016, 10:20 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: That really looks awesome!.
I can almost see it on my wall

Yeah its really well made.

(08-04-2016, 05:42 AM)Milkysunshine Wrote: Uhmmm. Where's the part where you actually throw darts so we can see what in-board darts look like? Lol

lol I was going to do that but I thought its easy enough to see its effect and throwing darts is not going to be that much if any difference to what you can already see Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review Darren and pics!
This really looks great and I dont know what to do now! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Spoilt for choice and not sure which lighting system to go for...
Great review again there Darren as per usual.
This is a great product by Ben(est1874) and I have one my self in white with red unicorn pro surround plus have a black pro surround if I fancy a change.
It really is a nice slick looking bit of kit and thoroughly recommend it.
Would also agree that a nice plain surround is the way to go as gives it a contrast and definition....top stuff!!
CURRENT DARTS AND SETUP:
22g Target Rising Sun Darts(Harrows Clic Flights & Medium Stems)
Target Daytona Grey/Blue Case
Unicorn Eclipse HD2/Unicorn Wall Clamp
Unicorn PDC Heavy Duty Surround(orange)
Aurora Halo Lighting System(white)
Thanks guys! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Super review and looks like a very well made and thought out piece of kit. I definitely have to invest in a proper lighting surround at some point
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks Barry! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Corona Vision Dartboard Light System Review Getagrip 139 36,044 08-01-2020, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Pell
  Unicorn Solar Flare Integrated Illuminated Pro Surround dartboard light review Getagrip 18 12,087 11-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Winmau Extreme 2 Dartboard Stand review Nathan Mansfield 8 7,385 12-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Nathan Mansfield
  Dart Smart Cricket dartboard review Getagrip 8 7,821 08-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Lurker1
  Unicorn 2017 World Champion Player dartboard surround review Getagrip 16 7,109 07-07-2016, 12:05 AM
Last Post: gram70
  Super-Lux Dartboard Lighting System Review Getagrip 33 20,121 04-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Last Post: HazBeen
  Target Vision 360 - 360° Dartboard Lighting System Shotgun 14 13,078 04-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Andreas Augustin
Thumbs Up Home-Pro Dartboard LIGHT Surround Review Getagrip 36 34,232 11-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Getagrip