Poll: What do you do?
Got to close 20's
Go 19's
Something else
[Show Results]

Cricket Question II
This one does my head in more than any other cricket scenario there is. I'm curious to see some answers here and reasons why you answered the way you did. 

It's your turn. The opponent just started the game and hit 3 single 20's. What do you do? *Both of you are decent enough players, equally skilled.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

D - play 501 lol
All three darts at T19.
Current Setup: 22g Reddragon Dragonflys
From Ontario, Canada
Best game: 11 darts
Instagram: @weswrestle10 
Always play ahead never behind. That's if you won't to win. This is what I would do. Go for a trip 19,then go for trip 18.
All three should be thrown at the 19's
19's as well for me and do my best to hit at least 5 to force your opponent to hit at least 2 x 20 to take a marginal point lead and hope he goes for the "Hero" dart and miss the T-19-------even though it's not likely and he will stay on the points in 20.
I actually close the 20s, hoping to do it in one dart.
I believe all three at T19 is how I would approach as well.
Match Darts:
Barney Phase5 25g
Best Leg 15 darts 501
Highest Checkout 145
Favourite double 16
I'm only here for the reviews.

Im going to be honest. I know I shouldn't chase, even early, but I would probably go 20s.  My reasoning - its still early enough to even things up and then get ahead on other numbers.

He hits 4 20s or more, I go 19s no question.  

Either way, you better close 19s OR 20s, whichever you choose. Worst thing you can do is leave both still open because you missed a hero dart at a trip.
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

Here's a few MAJOR things to consider when chasing. Which you should never do anyway. But these are the biggies...

1. You go 20's. Single, single, miss. That's devastating. The opponent should make you pay for that and load up the points. Let's say they "only" hit 2 single 20's for 40 points. In all reality those 2 marks just put you 6 marks behind! Because you'll need to close a number and then get 3 more marks to take the point lead. So that's HUGE for the opponent. You just put a ton of extra darts in their hand by chasing. Their 2 darts = your 6 darts. When most of average between 2 to 3 MPR you're basically giving them a 2 to 3 TURN lead.

2. You go 20's and hit single, single, treble. Arrgggghh. You just wasted a treble. I can guarantee you that none of us average 5MPR in steel tip cricket. You've just wasted a massive 5 mark that could've been used on the 19's. So basically you've started the leg off with a massive turn but it counts for squat. In all reality your still behind because the opponent's turn is next.

3. You're giving the opponent a mental edge. They're thinking "oh, he's a chaser"

Imo going 20's is kind of like taking out 66 by going 20's with the first dart in 501. Sure, it can be done. But man, you're only making things WAY, WAY harder on yourself.

Now, let's compare that mess of a situation up there ^^^ to going 19's

1. You go 19's and only hit 2. That makes the opponent think. Do they try to chase your 19's or go points? Whatever they do they have to think about things.

2. Let's say you open up with single 19, single 19, and treble 19. Now that 5 mark just paid off big time. YOU now have a 3 dart lead. Compare that to chasing and the possibility of being 6 darts behind with mediocre darts. Ahead 3 darts v behind 6 darts. << That's a 9 dart difference! Huge!

I really think cricket and 501 are sort of similar really. My job is to make things as easy as possible on myself every time I step to the line. We could all talk different scenario's about what to do if they hit this and I hit this. But in the end it's our job to make the game as simple as possible. That would include making smart choices in certain situations and that's all both of these games are really about. Playing smart.
One reason to not go 20's it this:

Imagine you hit single 20, single 20, triple 20. You pretty much wasted 40 points, or at least 38 points (if you would've hit 5 19's, you would've gained 38 points).
This is true.... the logical move is to go 19s. You never want to waste marks.

As the original post stated though...what should be an easy answer, in practice, doesnt always wind up that way. Ive seen SO many good players go 20s since its the first round, putting logic aside.
Current Match Setup:

DPC Gun Metal 25g w/ Voks Tornado points.

(02-17-2016, 01:36 AM)Beacon_Darts Wrote: This is true.... the logical move is to go 19s. You never want to waste marks.

As the original post stated though...what should be an easy answer, in practice, doesnt always wind up that way. Ive seen SO many good players go 20s since its the first round, putting logic aside.

I agree with Beacon here. For as many of us that say we'd go 19's I rarely ever see it in real life. For some reason the majority of players go 20's to chase. A high majority.
I never ever chase- it bad form and ends badly over 90% of the time. You must get ahead in points forcing your opponent to score points not closing other numbers, which makes it even harder.
used to chase. never again. 5 marks 19, i'll put the hero at 20. but there's no point in my mind for chasing 20s if my opponent only put 3 fat 20s first round
Darts: 18g softtip Monster Cobra 2BA, 260 LStyle Champagne Shafts, L3 Flights.
Other Darts: 18g softtip Monster Soldier No.5
Best out (soft tip): 106 (16, Bull, d20).

Darts Connect ID: 1000002362

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question: how do you practice cricket Darts-Lass 23 7,179 01-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Last Post: roberts126
  Cricket Question Banned 27 4,130 02-19-2016, 06:05 AM
Last Post: puddin