Does the hole in the stem affect the stem?
Hi all!

I have been looking at going back to aluminium stems with slim flights in order to try and get my darts to lay 'flat' . Does the hole (which you use to tighten up the stem) affect the stem at all such as balance, angle, weight etc?

Thanks Smile
I have never noticed that the hole had any effect at all on the dart. I think you would have better luck changing your shaft length than you will by going to aluminum shafts though. I know that it made all the difference for mine.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
League/Match Set: Voks 22g EL-C Crossover
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
Home Board: Blade 4 Dual Core
SOFT
Match Set: Katana Kokutou Hisyou 17.5g  Softtips. (My principle soft tip set)
Backup Match Set: Bull's Mamba 97 16.5g
Home Board: Gran Board II

(01-08-2016, 07:38 AM)jschwab Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
 I would agree with with those observations, now that Target produce 5 stem lengths purchasing a set of each length would give a wide range of trial & error + a set of each flight shape should give you a wide range of variations. I find the longer the barrel, for me requires a shorter stem to achieve roughly the same " angle of dangle" in the board, also the type of throw affects the angle, if you are a "floaty" type thrower the tail will sit up more than if you are a more power type thrower.
Makes not a Jot of difference....
Yeah, when I see a hole in the side of the stem, it's an indicator that those stems are going in the trash. It's either crap aluminum stems or those brittle older plastic Unicorn stems in that odd size.

It's just a nice reminder: trash time.

We're at the point in darts that a decent stem is so inexpensive. Even the Designa's are miles better than aluminum/old Unicorn garbage.
Target Pro Grips are one of the better stems out of the big names...and they're still a quid/$1. 3-4 years ago, you wanted a Pro Grip quality stem, you paid $5 and bought Laro.

No excuse to play with garbage stems. Besides Hankey, I can't think of a single pro that uses aluminum anymore.
gerwin price, taylor, fitton, baxter there are others too. i know you dont like them but others do and play well with them.

personally i love the size of the unicorn medium shafts and i use gripper 3 with punched springs and have no problems with them at all. i also really like the softflex stems.
(01-08-2016, 01:10 PM)Regulatori Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register Big Grin Spot on. Aluminum is crap! I think everyone knows my feeling about them. Now titanium is a different story.
I don't trash the aluminum shafts. I resell them to my mates as all of them are still using aluminum. You would think they would notice that I am the only one in the group who doesn't have to replace one or two stems during a night of darts when all of them have to. One of the lads had to replace 4 stems the last time we got together.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
League/Match Set: Voks 22g EL-C Crossover
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
Home Board: Blade 4 Dual Core
SOFT
Match Set: Katana Kokutou Hisyou 17.5g  Softtips. (My principle soft tip set)
Backup Match Set: Bull's Mamba 97 16.5g
Home Board: Gran Board II

Hankey still uses aluminums. stubborn ol' man.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
This stuff is not known because the powers that be don't want their secret advantage to become common knowledge. I, however, do not support the powers that be and feel free to kick down what has always been privileged information. True, I may be putting my safety at risk, but that is the world we live in today and I, as a true libertine, must support the advancement of knowledge whenever I can, regardless of my own personal safety. My conclusions are the result of intensive smoke testing and x-channel microfilming of dart flight patterns in an anechoic chamber. The, so called hole, is actually an ingenious guidance system that communicates with the human brain through alpha and zeta waves. See, the hole causes a trans-fractional distortion in airflow that enables a slight yaw and rotation, (either clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on which hemisphere you live in). This distortion causes an ultrasonic vibration of ionic membranes that surround all objects that move through time and space by reversing the phase of the flux-capacitance. The inventors of the hole realized they could use this to create a three dimensional rail for the dart to ride on that is controllable through the alpha and zeta brain waves. These waves are generated through the consumption of malted beverages in a low-light environment. There may be an inclination of skeptics to deride these facts as superstition, and/or even dangerous unseen forces that seek to control our brains. I assure you, this is nothing of the sort. This is science, pure and simple. Those that choose to laugh at these ideas are free to do so. I choose to exploit the built in hidden advantage of aluminum stems and laugh my way to victory at the bar.
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your stem length Blanton 74 5,383 10-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Ryk
  Anyone help on what this stem is please?? Jim_sol 5 159 08-07-2019, 08:17 PM
Last Post: The Fox
  New: Cuesoul AK6 Stem vanJupp 11 717 05-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Chappers
  Width of a standard med stem JannerinCardiff 7 305 03-19-2019, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  A stem is a stem...right? daddybland 25 1,191 01-16-2019, 03:33 PM
Last Post: codo180