Aiming
Aiming

As with the stance, there are four things to keep in mind when aiming your darts, according to the darts experts . They are: leading with your elbow, finding a sight line on your throwing hand, aiming directly at your target, and knowing and using your dominant eye while aiming.

Position your elbow so that it points directly at the dartboard, and if possible, slightly upwards. My arm mechanics can’t quite accomplish this, so I simply point my elbow at the dartboard and don’t worry as much about it pointing upwards. For me it’s just too uncomfortable.

Find a sight line from your throwing hand to a precise target on the board. Some use the point of the dart for this; others use a knuckle on their thumb. The main point here is that once you find what works for you, keep it consistent.

One problem that many dart novices struggle with is not aiming directly at the target they want. If you are looking to hit a triple nineteen, aim for the center of the triple nineteen, not the general area. Also, avoid overcompensating for a poor throw. For example, say you aim for the triple twenty but hit the five to its left instead; refrain from aiming to the right of the twenty to overcompensate for your previous throw. Aim for the triple twenty again. This all builds consistency.

Lastly, aim with your dominant eye. To find out which eye of yours is dominant, practice a few throws with one eye closed. Whichever eye struggles to stay closed is your dominant eye.

citation - Darts
I never have been able to follow guidelines regarding the elbow, I read all kinds of advice about it but I just cannot accomplish it physically. I think a lot of players dont follow the same advice either as I see elbows at all sorts of angles. I spent a long time in 2011-12 trying to have my elbow high, pointing at the target and stationary, never worked for me.

All I can say is you need to find your natural plane of movement then try to stop the elbow from moving side to side too much but there will always be some up and down movement, at there is for me.
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
Taking Aim
Posted on 29/05/2013

This is a question that I get asked a lot - ’how do I aim the dart?’

There is no simple answer to this. Some players like to point the dart at the target before throwing (Co Stompe), some players don’t hold the dart anywhere near the line (Tony O Shea). Personally I do hold the dart in line so that it covers the target I am aiming at, but only for a split second, as I feel any longer than this and you are ‘blocking out’ in your mind and eyes what you actually want to hit.

Many people either aim naturally and don’t think about it or don’t actively aim at all. Either way, you should pay attention to aiming. By truly concentrating on the board you can feel your focus being drawn into the diagonal lines. Then try to imagine your target area is bigger than it really is. Experiment with the following aiming options and make sure to practice. The key to consistent aiming is practicing until it becomes second nature.

Find a sight line. Some people use a sight line on their throwing hand to help them aim. Some people use the tip of the dart. Others use the small finger of the throwing hand to line up properly. The ultimate goal with a sight line is to line up your shot consistently.

Lead with your elbow. Just like some pitchers in baseball lead their pitch with the elbow, you can lead your dart throw with your elbow.

Know your dominant eye. Everyone has a dominate eye and it’s important to make sure you lead your aiming with that eye.

I really think your first movement of the arm and dart should be whatever feels natural, as I’ve said many times its the follow through towards the target that is by far the most important.
Citation-PerfectDarts
I have double vision, how should I aim?
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
aiming is for suckers.
(06-23-2013, 12:11 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Aiming

As with the stance, there are four things to keep in mind when aiming your darts, according to the darts experts . They are: leading with your elbow, finding a sight line on your throwing hand, aiming directly at your target, and knowing and using your dominant eye while aiming.

Position your elbow so that it points directly at the dartboard, and if possible, slightly upwards. My arm mechanics can’t quite accomplish this, so I simply point my elbow at the dartboard and don’t worry as much about it pointing upwards. For me it’s just too uncomfortable.

Find a sight line from your throwing hand to a precise target on the board. Some use the point of the dart for this; others use a knuckle on their thumb. The main point here is that once you find what works for you, keep it consistent.

One problem that many dart novices struggle with is not aiming directly at the target they want. If you are looking to hit a triple nineteen, aim for the center of the triple nineteen, not the general area. Also, avoid overcompensating for a poor throw. For example, say you aim for the triple twenty but hit the five to its left instead; refrain from aiming to the right of the twenty to overcompensate for your previous throw. Aim for the triple twenty again. This all builds consistency.

Lastly, aim with your dominant eye. To find out which eye of yours is dominant, practice a few throws with one eye closed. Whichever eye struggles to stay closed is your dominant eye.

citation - Darts
I used this method whilst peeing, really improved my aim!!!
(06-23-2013, 02:03 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I never have been able to follow guidelines regarding the elbow, I read all kinds of advice about it but I just cannot accomplish it physically. I think a lot of players dont follow the same advice either as I see elbows at all sorts of angles. I spent a long time in 2011-12 trying to have my elbow high, pointing at the target and stationary, never worked for me.

All I can say is you need to find your natural plane of movement then try to stop the elbow from moving side to side too much but there will always be some up and down movement, at there is for me.

I would have to agree with this. They say you are supposed to hold your elbow parallel to the ground. I can't do that. My arm feels over extended and I never get a good follow through. I suppose I could fight through it but I don't want to start from square one again....
(06-26-2013, 10:06 PM)rabsmith2 Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 12:11 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Aiming

citation - Darts
I used this method whilst peeing, really improved my aim!!!

Unless you're cheers Then you do the one eyed wobble spray and pray lol
hahaha you guys are crazy as hell :crylol:
again..aiming is for suckers... stick my elbow here..toss my nose there... wtf? The Bobby George version is 10000000 times better... imho...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  aiming and throwing round the board bozza 14 2,114 09-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Last Post: BigE
  aiming question grebber 20 4,860 02-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade