Developing arm extension without hyper extending the elbow
Hi,

does anyone have any techniques for developing a nice long reach without hyperextending at the elbow? I think your reach is a hard thing to be aware of without snapping at the elbow which does not feel like a good thing to be doing with your throw long term.
Sure. Don't snap your arm out -- move slower. The dart will still get there.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

And if you're confortable playing the way you do and don't want to play slower, try warming up more before you get to actually playing. It's a lot harder to injure yourself if you have a proper warm up.
(10-06-2015, 03:25 PM)brenthahn Wrote: Sure. Don't snap your arm out -- move slower. The dart will still get there.

Simple as that. If you are worried about hitting the board, stand closer. You might find that a lob might help when going super slow.

It's amazing at just how slow you can throw and still make it to the board. Bear in mind, you may think you are going very very slowly, but in reality, the dart speed is only going to be off very little. It's one of those perception does not equal reality things....

Oh right: Don't aim at anything in particular until you can get the arm out right every time. That itself can take a few days to get going. And, when you start aiming, it is easy to revert to your old ways. That's where you will find the biggest struggle.
Its possible that some people just have more of a snap to their throw. MVG looks like his arm is going to break in half, but I guess it doesn't bother him. For me, it never crossed my mind. I guess my muscles or tendons slow my arm down right before it hits that hyper-extension point, so Ive never had any discomfort.
Hitting it up against the stops is controllable. It is like touching your nose. You do have control over how fast you move your finger towards your face.....

The whole idea of the "throw" could be getting in the way. Thinking about the throw as a stroke can be easier to work with.
What you are doing is throwing a dart. You bring your are up aim and shoot....When you throw that dart right at the point you let go of the dart it will be at the target before you ever have your arm strait enough to the point of hyperextending at the elbow.

Work on your stoke and fallow through but you should never hyper-extend the elbow---keep in mind where your release point is. after that you should take the intensity off of your throw......
Black Dog, I'm not so sure about that.... the effort to slow down the arm is often why people snatch darts: they pull the arm back before it gets anywhere near the stops.

It is completely possible to throw a dart so that when you are fully extended, you are up against the stops without jamming.
(10-09-2015, 11:33 PM)Dmott Wrote: Its possible that some people just have more of a snap to their throw. MVG looks like his arm is going to break in half, but I guess it doesn't bother him. For me, it never crossed my mind. I guess my muscles or tendons slow my arm down right before it hits that hyper-extension point, so Ive never had any discomfort.
I'm curious to see what his x-rays would look like after another 10 years of throwing.

Phil has a reasonably smooth throw with tons of snap...and he's been going forever. I have a feeling MVG will start facing health issues if he keeps that ultra snapping motion. Maybe he's lucky and started at such a young age that his body grew into that (kind of like if you're a dancer at a young age when your body is still flexible..it tends to stay flexible as you get older).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  helping developing my dart grip and equipment Honziz 14 734 03-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  Having trouble extending your arm ? Heres help. *Saber* 12 2,968 08-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Serial 7hriller