How to choose the right darts and setup
With shape there is also the effect of loading. With steel tips it's not as easy, but in soft tip darts it's quite easy to have a large max diameter at the front of the dart but still have it rear loaded (the centre of gravity is towards the rear of the barrel). Surely this will have a large effect on the dart setup too.

I wish manufacturers would list the CG point for each barrel along with the diameter, length and weight...
Dabbler and over thinker...
Just outside Montreal

Current darts: Winmau Sniper 18g barrels; Lippoint plastic tips; #4 Fit Spinning shafts and Fit Super Shape flights
Home board: Blade 4 (playing with soft tips)
Discipline: Flight School
great thread has helped me throw a bit better
for the beginners,front loaded darts might be better
Hello everyone. I am little bit lost in choosing of new darts, hopefully someone can give me some advice. Look at the picture. It is Harrows Assasin Expert AX5 (barrel 16,5g, diameter 6,8 in the fatest place, 43mm long, whole dart weights about 18,7g). See where do I grip the barrel. My game is getting worse and worse and I do not know why, many thrown darts are falling on the floor without staying in the dartboard. Would be better for me a straight barrel? This one is a bit frontloader and I am holding the dart in 2/3 of the barrel... I would welcome any advice from you, guys. Thx.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's right to the point and lays it all out there. Very useful information and well spoken. Thanks for the great post!!!!
Very helpfull!!!
great info... Big Grin Cool
RebelModdarts: Tongue darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
Epicly useful thread
(08-17-2015, 02:19 PM)lap Wrote: Hello everyone. I am little bit lost in choosing of new darts, hopefully someone can give me some advice. Look at the picture. It is Harrows Assasin Expert AX5 (barrel 16,5g, diameter 6,8 in the fatest place, 43mm long, whole dart weights about 18,7g). See where do I grip the barrel. My game is getting worse and worse and I do not know why, many thrown darts are falling on the floor without staying in the dartboard. Would be better for me a straight barrel? This one is a bit frontloader and I am holding the dart in 2/3 of the barrel... I would welcome any advice from you, guys. Thx.

I am guessing that your darts hit the board with tail so far down, they won't pierce the board?
What a Helpful Thread for Begginers. I can now start looking for the right pin for me. Thanks for the info!