Your darting life so far??
I throw my first real darts(on sisal) 22 years ago, during paramedical courses for my community service.
We were quartered for six weeks and someone brought (and selled) some darts stuff.
I was interested and bought a 18gr. nickel-silver darts to start the fun.

Later, a winmau board & 19gr. assassin darts completed my homesetup,
which was played within the family and some friends.
Most of my playing time i spent on cricket in a local english pub, to accompany my kilkenny every now and then, for about a couple of months, maybe a year. Then Friendships and interests changed and after renovate my room, even my board wasn't setup again, until...

I enjoyed watching the WDC2011 on telly and wanted to play again,
but it took another year to finally revive my old stuff after the WDC 2012.

this is how i started
cheers

Thanks for sharing mesmo Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
I don't know if its bad etiquette to bump an old thread on this board, but this is my Darting Life so far....

When I was around fifteen I asked for a dart board for my birthday. Not because I was into darts so much, though I did want to learn how to play, but because I thought it would be cool to have hanging on my wall. Years earlier my older brother had a cheap cabinet and board on his bedroom wall and it looked really awesome to an impressionable ten year old. I started playing a bit by myself and every once in a while with my friends when we would hang out at my house, but I really sucked at it and lost interest. The dart board was nothing more than an accessory hanging on the wall for the next five years or so. In college, after I had moved out of the dorms and into my own apartment, I hung the board up in my living room. Again, more as a cool accessory than as a sport I enjoyed playing. My roommates and I would play sometimes, but I always lost and therefore had little interest in the game.

Fast forward five or six years to when I joined "The Club". Cheap beer, nice guys(Members Only), sports on the television, and a (relatively)quiet atmosphere where no one is going to bother you while you have a brew and relax after work. The perfect bar to hang out in for a quiet guy like me who loves drinking beer. I started hanging out with a group of older guys on friday nights there and began playing darts with them. We played American Cricket(no points) and, surprisingly, I did O.K. My teammate would always carry me, but I threw some decent darts and we won a few games. They were really great guys that I played with. They wouldn't put me down for being lousy and gave me lots of positive feedback and encouragement. It was all about having a good time and a few drinks together, rather than competing and winning. I found a few like-minded folks that hung out saturday nights and started playing with them also. It was great fun, nobody cared about winning or losing, it was about having a good time. I had a blast playing Darts with all those guys. After a couple of years, times changed and the same folks I played with weren't hanging out so much and I began to not hang out as much too. So that was it for playing Darts regularly, but I still enjoyed the game.

One afternoon a couple years later I was sitting at a table at "The Club" having a beer when a guy sat down and asked if I would be up for a game of pool. We played and I lost because I scratched on the Eight Ball and I suggested we play Darts(since I was better at it, LOL). We played a round of Cricket and I lost. This guy was really really good, but I was holding my own against him. We played another round and I lost again, but came very close to winning this time. He then tells me that he had been a nationally ranked champion Dart player(one of the top three in the USA if I recall correctly). My mind was blown! I almost beat an actual Champion! He told me I was a really good player and gave me a few tips on how to improve my game. That got me pretty fired up and I realized I was a decent Dart player after all. I continued to play for fun off and on over the next few years, but it was only the occasional pick-up game.

Now "The Club" has had a Dart league every winter for at least ten years. I had always wanted to join but I didn't. At first it was because I was a new member and didn't know anyone, and I thought I was too lousy a player to be part of a league. Later because of my odd work schedule which conflicted with game nights. This winter, however, I'm unemployed and decided to sign up for the Dart League. I hadn't played much recently, but figured it was a good reason to get out of the house, be social, and have some fun. We started in January of this year and have played thirteen matches so far. I'm having a great time! It's been so much fun competing against other teams in a league setting with an end goal. I love the game more now than I ever have in the past. I have a great partner(random-our names were drawn out of a hat) who was last years champion, and I'm throwing decent Darts. I wouldn't dare call myself a great player, but I'm improving a little each week and I've played well against some of the better teams. We are currently 5-8(out of 34 regular season matches) and play again tonight. I think we have a realistic chance at making the playoffs which has me even more excited about playing the game. I'm starting to seriously get addicted to Darts and loving every minute of it. I'm working on my technique, consistency, and now have a good set of my own Darts to play with every week. I'm even thinking about joining a spring/summer league if I can find one in the area.

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded, but I've gotten really fired up about playing Darts recently. I enjoy the game whether I win or lose, and I'm not half bad at it. This is definitely something I want to continue with in the future. That's the story of my Darts Life so far....
No worries with bumping this thread its there to be bumped really, good story mate, I started much the same way, I got my board when I was 18 and it was more as a cool thing to have, but I think I give it away a few months later and was not till years later I started again. That club you went to sounds great though Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I first started playing darts when I was around 8 years old that of course was thanks to my late granddad . . . with him he was always working fishing or darting and I remember watching him and thinking WOW your good granddad , so one day I said to him in the middle of watching Jamie ' bravedart ' Harvey against dennis priestly I believe granddad I wannna play darts and be as good as you and his response was here have these and he gave his set of darts go and practice well later that day I had hit about 6 single 20's in about thirty throws so I called him in and said im already better than you he laughed and as they say the rest is history . . . im 26 now and im still excited at either playing or watching darts (sorry to drone on pretty mediocre story really) but that's how I started and the darts that I received were a set of old 198somthing bristows and even tho there old now I still have a little throw with em

I believe darts is a universal language be it on a competitive level or a social level much better than primadonna's that play pool these days . . . long live the tungsten
Darts used.  . . Gary anderson phase 3 25g /23g Scott waites. 
First started playing as a kid, nothing serious, just a few games with my brother here and there. At that age I was far more interested innplaying football and cricket (played both for primary and high school). Even got to play cricket in front of 3,000 people as we got through to the Kwik Cricket final which was played during end of innings between Derbyshire and Lancashire. We lost! But a great day and experience.

Back to darts, wasn't until I met my current partner and had been dating for around a year. I started going to the football watch Stoke City with her family, they all would play darts in the pub before going to the match. So i bought myself some darts and joined in, it again wasn't serious, I'd only play once a fortnight for around 5 years, then last December something clicked and I decided to take it more serious, I got myself a board at home, bought a few new sets of darts, joined dartsnutz & flight school and started using the practice routines I'd seen on here.

Hit my 1st 180 in Jan, hit 3 all together now, signed up for a pub team, then the pub closed before I'd thrown a dart for them lol. So I just kept practicing at home and in pubs. I have beat my missus' brother a few times and when he beats me it's not by much anymore. Broke into sub-20 dart leg back in feb, missed doubles at my next target which is a 15 dart leg. Abolished my fears on checkouts, anything over 100 and I wouldn't really try to take it out as had no belief. Now as soon as I'm on a finish I believe I can take it out.

Joined DODL league, was nervous as hell, managed to beat Milky 6-5 but in all honesty, he wasn't on his game, lost to Spartan 2nd game 6-5, still nervous but loving every minute of it. Still trying get a game v Hat but hard at times due to work.
I used to watch folks play at my local, made friends with a few, never tried it knowing I absolutely didn't have the knack.

Asked for a board for my birthday, figuring I'd put it up at work as a way to let clients entertain themselves. I put it up on April Fool's Day 2012. Threw a few darts at it, threw a few more, couldn't stop.

So yesterday was my 2-year anniversary.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Nice one guys, thanks for sharing! Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I've always loved watching darts, Phil Taylor's dominance has fascinated me for years. So in January of this year I decided to try and have a go, mounted the dartboard on my wall and within the 1st week hit my 1st 180 with chunky brass darts, started hitting legs under 30 and have managed 2x 16 dart legs and hit 10 180s 3 with brass and 7 in the last 3 weeks with my winmau ton machine darts. Joined the dodl and have a record of 2wins 1 loss so far. Gone from nervous to quite confident playing against people after joining this forum. Still not played anyone in person all webcam so far. Always looking to improve which is helped by everyone who I've spoke to on here (great people) next stop pub team (hopefully) then world domination (one can dream) thanks for reading,
David
Play like it means nothing when it means everything

[Image: RqGF7IG.png]
Thanks Dave!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The greatest nite of my darting life so far: please read! NiteEyez 26 5,356 04-07-2019, 07:23 PM
Last Post: JamieJ
  Darts is life biggs180 4 596 04-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Last Post: mc1958