Your darting life so far??
About 10 years ago a cousin called my brother and I up and asked if we wanted to play darts. A bar near where he lived had a group of guys and they played a pick up style cricket game, everyone put in $5 (about 3.5 quid, pounds or whatever you all want to call them) each. The two top teams would win a little cash. It was very easy going and we had a hell of a time. Eventually we switched bars the first one closed and eventually the second bar closed and no one restarted it up.

Fast forward to the present. After talking about finding a place to play again (we scoured local bars and taverns looking for dart boards or some kind of league), a friend got to talking to the people that own a tavern he plays trivia at. They liked the idea and actually one of the guys was already thinking about setting up some kind of league. Lucky for me it started up last week. We play cricket and it's mostly a social game no real ringers or overly competitive players. We draw names out of a hat to form teams and play a bracket type tournament. This week we had a few extra people and had to play a double elimination which surprisingly my team won (I am not a good player).

All in all we have a good time, some laughs, some cursing and a heck of a lot of fun. I hope to start getting better and maybe learn how to play 301/501 and find a local league but that won't be for awhile.
(07-10-2013, 01:12 PM)uncle poop Wrote: About 10 years ago a cousin called my brother and I up and asked if we wanted to play darts. A bar near where he lived had a group of guys and they played a pick up style cricket game, everyone put in $5 (about 3.5 quid, pounds or whatever you all want to call them) each. The two top teams would win a little cash. It was very easy going and we had a hell of a time. Eventually we switched bars the first one closed and eventually the second bar closed and no one restarted it up.

Fast forward to the present. After talking about finding a place to play again (we scoured local bars and taverns looking for dart boards or some kind of league), a friend got to talking to the people that own a tavern he plays trivia at. They liked the idea and actually one of the guys was already thinking about setting up some kind of league. Lucky for me it started up last week. We play cricket and it's mostly a social game no real ringers or overly competitive players. We draw names out of a hat to form teams and play a bracket type tournament. This week we had a few extra people and had to play a double elimination which surprisingly my team won (I am not a good player).

All in all we have a good time, some laughs, some cursing and a heck of a lot of fun. I hope to start getting better and maybe learn how to play 301/501 and find a local league but that won't be for awhile.

Thats the important thing to have fun and it sounds like your are Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
bump for new members
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

mine started for me when i was about 8 . i remember coming down to go to school and seeing a couple of trophies on the table which my dad had won and thought i want one. i asked dad how he got them and he said playing darts and that was it. i got him to take his board off the wall and threw at it lent against a chair with a old set of his. did this for a while lifting the board as i got bigger. at about 12 i finally started to practice against the old man loosing every time .

when i got to about 14 the local pub allowed us in to play pool and darts. after about 6 months a poster came up dart players wanted so i signed up. just about to turn 15 got the old we aint a baby sitting service. made the team and won the first ever game for our team as i was on first. we won the league not loosing a game. the next season my dad came and joined which was great as me and him got runners up in the pairs.

since then i have played at least once a week sometimes as many as 5. played the england open and the england classic getting to last 128 in each. i really love the game and all that comes with it.
Thanks for sharing Mr B, thats a great story. Sounds like your a good player too Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Mine started in August this year (2013). I had gone to an exhibition featuring MVG, Van De Voort, Nicholson, Jenkins etc, and i had caught the world championships on tv in 2012. I'd always watched it occassionally but it was never a true passion, however at 32, my boxing days were over and i had suffered 2 serious back injuries so i was unable to competitively workout/bodybuild so i needed a new sport to turn my attention to and that's basically it...........................and i fell in love, literally.

Currently averaging 44-50, with 2 x 180 and getting better daily.
Darts: 21g Unicorn Taylor. Phase 1 cop
Stems: unicorn short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: http://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

(10-08-2013, 09:57 PM)Niteeyez Wrote: Mine started in August this year (2013). I had gone to an exhibition featuring MVG, Van De Voort, Nicholson, Jenkins etc, and i had caught the world championships on tv in 2012. I'd always watched it occassionally but it was never a true passion, however at 32, my boxing days were over and i had suffered 2 serious back injuries so i was unable to competitively workout/bodybuild so i needed a new sport to turn my attention to and that's basically it...........................and i fell in love, literally.

Good stuff - At my age can't out lift-out run -out wrestle - but can kick some young butt in darts lol.
[Image: 2e2gdae.jpg]
(10-08-2013, 09:57 PM)Niteeyez Wrote: Mine started in August this year (2013). I had gone to an exhibition featuring MVG, Van De Voort, Nicholson, Jenkins etc, and i had caught the world championships on tv in 2012. I'd always watched it occassionally but it was never a true passion, however at 32, my boxing days were over and i had suffered 2 serious back injuries so i was unable to competitively workout/bodybuild so i needed a new sport to turn my attention to and that's basically it...........................and i fell in love, literally.

Nice one! Thanks for sharing Smile

Back problems ruined my Thai Boxing, darts was going great until my wrist and shoulder knacked up too. As long as your back doesn't hurt when playing darts you should be ok. If your back is iffy though try not to lean forward too much when throwing, I know mine bothers me if I lean too much.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Add your darting stories here, let us know how you got started Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

tell us your story Smile

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The greatest nite of my darting life so far: please read! NiteEyez 26 5,273 04-07-2019, 07:23 PM
Last Post: JamieJ
  Darts is life biggs180 4 559 04-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Last Post: mc1958