Your darting life so far??
Hi,
My "darts life" has been a few shortish spells spread over lots of years.
As a young  kid there was often a board up in the garage and some of dads old feathered darts lying around to have a go with now and again.
Started getting the bug properly after leaving school in '84 and regularly visiting local pub. Shan't say how old I was then but rural Northants in the mid 80's was a good time to go out and have a drink and not get questioned about age!!
In fact I'd been playing in a pub team for about a year before Landlord actually asked how old I was. Played down there most nights after starting work cos, quite frankly, there wasn't that much else to do.
Played in a few pub teams til the early 90's, one with some decent county players although I never felt I truly belonged in their team cos they were slightly higher level than my usual play. But generally won as many as I lost though.

Other life stuff took over in the 90's, some good some bad, and for various reasons (including 2 sets of my favourite 80's Cliff Lazarenkos getting pinched) went a long time without playing.

2006 was next major spell when moved to Wiltshire and local pub there was a lot like the old local from the 80's. They had a darts team so started playing league darts again there.
Moved to Bristol 10 years ago and to be honest there's been so much going on I haven't really thought much about darts, and don't think any of my friends here play anyway so it's took a back seat again other than occasional chuck about around 6 years ago.

Happened to watch the BetVictor Masters on itv catch-up recently and that kind of re-kindled the interest. It got me thinking about them old fave darts and could I still throw something ok. So had a look on ebay and bought something similar-ish and today went and bought my first new board in something like 35 years, put it on the wall and had a throw for a few hours.
Have to say "wow" at the Unicorn Eclipse pro 2 board!!! Not one bounce out in 6 hours!! If local pub had one of them back in 80's I'd have never gone home.
Would have been nice to hit a 180 this evening but no, 3rd dart missed on ten 140's and facebook friends getting regular updates!!!
Always tomorrow I guess.
Anyway, so there we are, that's pretty much up to date.
Four score and seven years ago....just joking, my darting life started August 2018 when wife hung an old dartboard (but a nice one) from her parents on the back of our garage for a family picnic. I figured it was odd for a picnic, but what the heck, I goofed around with my dartboard as kid, but we never really played seriously. So I threw a few darts and thought, wow this is pretty fun. So after the picnic I hung the board in our lower level and started throwing even more. Then I found out there was a dart store 15 minutes away...so I went down there one Saturday and I was hooked. So I would say I started playing darts seriously in September 2018.

Within the first couple of months I threw 5 180s (including one in the dart store which led to a purchase, go figure), but I didn't throw my 6th until a few days ago, but my overall scoring is definitely getting better...quite a few 140s and 120+s. So I have mainly been practicing since September, I haven't played in any tournaments yet and really have not played any real games against a legit opponent. However, there is a local tournament every Friday night, so I am building up my confidence to go and play. You can see from my signature what my stats are. There is also a local dart league, but it is on Tuesday nights and that is my golf league night....so no dart league.

One problem that I have had is that I am addicted to buying darts and I have gone through one major grip change, so I went from liking very smooth grips to needing a much more aggressive grip. So I will putting up a few sets for sale once I get to 50 posts. Fortunately, this is a bit of a cheaper hobby than my other past hobbies. I am now having fun mixing and matching different shafts and flights, much cheaper...haha

One thing I like about darts is that you can challenge yourself during practice sessions and by tracking your practice you can see if you are improving or not. However, I am getting pumped about playing against some real competition.

I am looking forward to this journey and I hope to have more exciting stories in the future.

Thanks,
Z
Started playing September 2018

Board - Winmau - Blade 5 Dual Core
Match Darts - Target Agora A05 Swiss Point (Supergrip shafts, Retina flights)
Other Sets - a whole bunch of Ando's and almost every set of MVGs.  Too many to list.

Best 501 game - 14 (steel tip - 100, 140, 125, 41, 95 (T19 - D19); 15 (soft tip) 
Number of 180s - 2018 = 5; 2019 = 38; 2020 = 44 (3 in tourney and league play)
Highest checkout - 148 (T20 - T20 - D14)
My darting life story echoes many of the stories I have read here. 

It was back probably around 2007 and the neighbour a few doors down would invite my old man and me over to watch NHL playoff hockey. I remember him teaching me a few of the basics of darts during the intermissions. I was still at the point/age where I would only aim for the Double Bull, but as their family was moving out, he gifted me the Nodor board, a dart surround (which I somehow still managed to miss a few times) and a set of darts. To this day I still have no idea what brand or weight they are but I have retired them as I hit my first career 180 with them. 

Over the years the dartboard was set up in the basement with no idea the proper height requirement and oche distance. My buddies and I would use it for unnecessary alcohol consumption wagers. Mainly "hit the 17, if you hit it I drink double" kinda games. I had no accuracy and no real investment in the game as I was often busy with other competitive sports. 

Fast forward a few years to last year and I finally get to shaking the dust and cobwebs off the dartboard. A few of my university buddies threw together a team in order for us to get together more often. We start playing Monday's and mainly go to catch up and enjoy a few libations. I felt bad for the Captain of our team as he played a lot while he was teaching over in England and we were just playing because it was a way to hang out as buddies. Our league is separated into A Division and B Division. Naturally, since we weren't any good, we were placed in the B Division. Surprisingly we had the playoff run of our lives after going .500 in the regular season. 

Sadly, I missed the dramatic finals as I was back at University but excited at the prospect of the team only improving. This year was the final year of my education degree and I was able to spend more time in my hometown where the team plays. I set up a dart board at my student house and practiced like a madman in order to become better. I would spend hours working on doubles. Whether that was due to procrastination or determination I still do not know Wink

I was still playing with the mystery darts from November 2018 to December 2018. My wonderful significant other bought me a set of Harrows Cobalts for Christmas (she is just feeding the addiction eh?!). Practicing while away for school saw my accuracy improve and I began to find my throw. So what did I do with this new found passion? I ended up grabbing a Blade 5, target daytona GTs and the corona lighting system to build the best practice set up in the basement at home. Since New Years I have seen leaps and bounds in my game and I attribute that to studying the game and practicing with intent.

I still need to find my range and calm my nerves in league games but now that I am home permanently I hope to get back into form. Because we won the championship last year we were bumped up to A Division but after having a rough season were relegated to B Division Playoffs this year. Hoping to fix the yips before playoffs and potentially try to experience provincial qualifiers next year if I keep improving.

I thank the wonderful support and knowledge from this forum as it leads me in my dart adventures!
Darts: Harrows Cobalts 22g w/ Target Diamond points
           Target Daytona Fire GT03 24g
Board: Blade 5 - with Target Corona Lighting
Highest Checkout: 170 
So last year I posted that I was an alternate on our team for California State Team Championship. This year I was selected to be on the team for real this time. Had an awesome time! Was my first tournament other than the local blind draws. So much fun. We had a blind Bourbon tasting and blind draw in my hotel room after the first day notice the prize money on the bracket sheet. $10000 paid over 10000 years . Also notice that we didn't finish the games either Cheers![Image: db867ecdfd8892239cf8b3b8746a0c9f.jpg][Image: d08d0943e54feabf55323d71f6d54394.jpg][Image: 265a68c4283d73075cfd8a2748cfb133.jpg][Image: d6ee25b917f37423e15ef75073e98790.jpg][Image: 88550d05b1cb9e381cf56268aa665036.jpg]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
LOL - nice! Tongue
(05-01-2019, 03:50 AM)nixer55 Wrote: LOL - nice!
The next day back at the venue....[Image: 39671e567c32cb609e66a6f851cf688d.jpg]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Just started playing about 5 months ago... gone thru lots of sets of darts already to find something that actually flies normally threw the air.

I practice about a couple of hours a week at the moment. I Hit 2 180's in a practice match about a month ago and got the buzz!! Can't believe it taken me half my life to find the game of darts It's amazing!

Currently throwing some scalloped customs that now weigh exactly 25g... I love them.
Dartboard: Blade 5 dual core
Darts: 24g custom scallops
Started playing: 15/09/2018
180's: 12 (5 in 1st Year) (7 in last 7 months since October 2019)
3 bulls: Once
Best Checkout: 100 (twice)
Best leg: 16 darts (twice in practice), 22 darts (in a match)

[font="Times New Roman",serif][img=822x3024]fileConfused//DConfusedUsers/Fordm/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/img][/font]
I startet playing on a very boring Birthday Party one night before Xmas last year. Bad Music (German Schlager) if you dont know
what it sounds like you are a lucky guy. Big Grin

One guest knows the location because he was playing Softdart there very often. My thoughts where
that it is better to play darts than dancing. So we played 2 or 3 ours there. After that i was totally
hooked. After considering a few days if it makes sense to buy a Board my decision was: YESSS.
But it must be a Steeldartboard. I like it much more then Softdart.

On 16. of January 2019 i went to a local Dartshop and bought everything i needed (and a little bit more Blush).

In March 2019 i become a member in a Dartclub and play in the Team since May.
In the league i lost 3 matches an have won 11 matches so far.

My two intresting Legs where both on two exibitions against Chris Dobey where i had no chance. And the second was
against Ian White where i missed the Matchdart for a 15 darter. But i have to say that Ian and me changed the darts before the Match.
He looked a little surprised about my qustion to do that but killed me anyway with a 76 finish where he used two
darts on double 19.  Cool

But the best point is that i found my brother after 28 years without any contact because i played in a tournament against
his double partner. He told me that his mate where he play double with has the same name like me. After showing
me a picture i told him that the guy is my brother. The rest was very quick: A call a meeting and now we are practice
one or two times a week together. 
So trust me: Dart is more then just throwing little things onto a board. oldguy

Matchdart: Winmau Mervyn King Black 24 Gramm with L-Style Stems and Flights.
(01-20-2020, 08:13 AM)Sowatt Wrote: I startet playing on a very boring Birthday Party one night before Xmas last year. Bad Music (German Schlager) if you dont know
what it sounds like you are a lucky guy. Big Grin

One guest knows the location because he was playing Softdart there very often. My thoughts where
that it is better to play darts than dancing. So we played 2 or 3 ours there. After that i was totally
hooked. After considering a few days if it makes sense to buy a Board my decision was: YESSS.
But it must be a Steeldartboard. I like it much more then Softdart.

On 16. of January 2019 i went to a local Dartshop and bought everything i needed (and a little bit more Blush).

In March 2019 i become a member in a Dartclub and play in the Team since May.
In the league i lost 3 matches an have won 11 matches so far.

My two intresting Legs where both on two exibitions against Chris Dobey where i had no chance. And the second was
against Ian White where i missed the Matchdart for a 15 darter. But i have to say that Ian and me changed the darts before the Match.
He looked a little surprised about my qustion to do that but killed me anyway with a 76 finish where he used two
darts on double 19.  Cool

But the best point is that i found my brother after 28 years without any contact because i played in a tournament against
his double partner. He told me that his mate where he play double with has the same name like me. After showing
me a picture i told him that the guy is my brother. The rest was very quick: A call a meeting and now we are practice
one or two times a week together. 
So trust me: Dart is more then just throwing little things onto a board. oldguy

Great story, glad you hooked up with your brother.  Got to be great feeling..
Current Darts
1990's Stag Dart Craft 22gm,
Target Daytona fire df-04 24gm

"If you've never played darts blindfolded... you dont know what your missing"

@smokinjoe72:
Yes it is.

Matchdart: Winmau Mervyn King Black 24 Gramm with L-Style Stems and Flights.
Like others have said, some brilliant stories. As for me, used to watch darts in the late 70s and loved John Lowe. Probably first picked up a dart when I was about 11 at a mate's house but only really got "serious" in 1997 when I signed for my first team. As time passed, eventually found myself throwing for my local working man's club in the Stockport League and was getting quite good.

My one and only claim to fame in that league was beating Darryl Fitton over best of 3 legs. He won leg 1 in 18, I won leg 2 in about 18 then leg 3.... He left himself 32 after 15 darts, I was on 124. I stepped up and no idea why I went this way, I pinned t20, t20, d2. Darryl being the absolute gent he is shook my hand, congratulated me and wished me all the best, no histrionics or "shoulda won that" etc - proper diamond fell. I lived in Glasgow for a short period in 2010 and ended up chucking (very, very badly) in the Scottish Open! The pub I was playing for up there apparetntly enter every year and to be fair, what a great day out it was. Met Martin Adams, Wesley Harms and others - well out of my depth but we had a damn good booze too! Later that season though... the dreaded D word struck. Took me out of the game for about 12 months but got over it.

Changed my throw completely and started getting good again, but roughly 6 months later I was throwing for my team in a pub in Marple. I was trying so hard to throw but they wouldn't go. Felt like bursting into tears on the oche knowing dartitis was back again. Anyway, another 18 months out of the game but a couple of mates in my local would not let me quit and kept dragging me out on a Friday night for a chuck. Very lucky to have mates like that as they kept believing in me that I'd get past it.

I kept chucking at their insistence and one day went to get my darts repointed at Perigos in Manchester. I told the chap behind the counter what was going on and after sorting my darts out, he asked me to chuck them at the board in the shop. He watched me chuck and said "stop focusing on what your arm is doing and concentrate just on hitting the board - don't worry where they go" then low and behold after about 6 chucks, I'm throwing again. Couldn't believe it. I noticed above the board it said "there are no excuses, only practice" and that has stayed with me ever since.

Anyway, onto the here and now... I mentioned in my "How's It Going?" post in the Intros section - still throwing in Stockport Super League and just looking to keep improving. Also throwing for Stockport Central in the 2nd Division of the Lancs Super League a couple of Sundays each month which I'm really enjoying too.

Like everything in life, you get good days and bad days with the darts. I absolutely love playing the game and would play competitively every night if (a) I could and (b) Mrs Derryfilm would let me.

Just need to find that consistency on the doubles!
Taxi for Mr Nelson!
Forgot to add a couple of pics of my set up & darts...

Not allowed a board on the wall lol so got a stand etc.[Image: 46946a71549325ebba87fe513f248264.jpg][Image: 725cd0aac5cb3c6f13c70d6b1402fb12.jpg]
Taxi for Mr Nelson!
I've only just started playing as of a few weeks ago and I'm hooked! My girlfriend's sister's boyfriend plays quite a bit and we all went down to the pub for some games. Now practically everyday I'm pestering my girlfriend/friends to come to the pub for some darts haha.
I can't wait to throw a 180, with a few 121s I feel like I can taste it but it may still be a long time coming!
I'm saving now to get a portable dart board setup together to get some real practice in (renting is making this more difficult than I'd hope), and am joining a summer league, as well as getting a semi-decent set of darts. Exciting times ahead!!
What a great thread.

My story is somewhat of a short-lived one. I started 17ish years ago as a 15 year old. I had a nasty football injury, full leg cast so I was off school for 3 months. I remember the darts being on TV and Andy Fordham won the worlds. Not sure if I got into darts because it was on TV or if I bought my board before. Either way Andy Fordham massively inspired me to play the game and take it seriously.

To start with I would tie fishing line to the hole in metal stems and tape the other end to the wall besides me. Couldn't walk so I pulled on the fishing line to get the darts from the board. Did this for the entire time I had my cast on. As soon as I got the cast off that's when my game improved. I was able to throw way more darts and this is when I started hitting big scores. In the space of 6 months of playing I was throwing a few 180s a day but I thought nothing of it.

My brother in-law came around to to do some sort of home improvement and he spotted the board and asked if I wanted a game. He played for the local pub team in his village and I expected to get badly beaten. Had him a game, threw lots of 140s and a 180. He was gobsmacked. I don't think he managed to get down to a finish in about 6 games of playing. He came around every evening before game night and once at the weekend for a practice with me.

Fast forward a bit and were out having Sunday lunch in the local village pub and his team captain comes in and he introduces me to him. Had him a game and I just remember thinking to my self that if he kept still when he threw he'd be quite good. I said to him that he moves a lot when he throws and he said he was trying to get out of that habit, do I have any tips. I said no, just keep still. He starts laughing and he said to my brother in-law that John and Terry need to see me play. Didn't know them at the time but they were good county players.

I ended up playing them both a few week after. Terry - the nicest bloke you could wish to meet. Never stopped giving me pointers on how to score in certain situations. I ended up just scraping a win against him and he didn't seem to care. He just carried on showing me the best way to finish certain scores, when to drop down to 19s. All that good stuff. A proper legend in my eyes.

John, however was a bit of a Wally. First thing he did was rip into how I stood. Not in a constructive way but in a nasty vindictive way. I was a 16 year old kid, but looked about 12. Who lays into a kid? What a div that bloke was. Because I started playing with the cast on I could lean really far forward and the heavy cast would keep me balanced. This technique stood with me when I had the cast off so I had a severe lean forward that was unbalanced, but for what ever reason worked for me. He kept nudging me when I was playing to show how off balance I was. My brother in-law...bit of a nut job back in the day and very protective of his friends and family gave him one hell of a shove, and pointed out that anyone's off balance if you shove them hard enough. John pipes down then, we play and I beat him comfortably. Finishing with a 135 going 25, 60, bull.

Before we left I went for a pee and John's in there giving me a hard time about how I finished 135 on him. Said I was showing off...but Terry had told me how to finish it. The way he was made me think I was going to get me arse kicked, so I scuttled off home.

I carried on playing for while after this incident but in the end decided I didn't want to be around people like him who can't handle losing and have to make threats of violence. Never told anyone but that's the reason I stopped playing. Enjoyed the game, got good at the game even hitting a couple of 9 darters before I quit but that tool scared the living daylights out of me enough to make me quit.

A shame really. I was into lots of sports as a kid, got good at most of them but darts was the game I honestly thought I could have made a career out of. If I'd have known how much money was in darts today maybe I'd have grown a pair and not let that clown bother me so much!

Fast forward to lockdown kicking in and I bought all the gear to keep me occupied and I've started to really enjoy the game again. Got bogged down with overplaying and expecting to instantly reach the level I was back in the day but I've come to terms with my current level, and it may take years to get back on it, if at all.

Sorry for such a long post, but some of the finer details kept coming back to me!
Great post. Hard not to forget the idiots but glad you got loads of great support from the other lad.

Good luck getting back into it - if you've reached that level before, with plenty of practice you'll get back to it.
Taxi for Mr Nelson!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts & Work Life ?? DAVEISTHENAME 4 234 10-25-2019, 12:41 PM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  The greatest nite of my darting life so far: please read! NiteEyez 26 5,516 04-07-2019, 07:23 PM
Last Post: JamieJ