How the Pro's Grip their Darts
Adrian Lewis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do you think maybe all the "rules" about having your elbow high miss the point? To me, it seems like you just need to be comfortable with where the dart is -- some people like to look over it, some "through" it -- and keep the elbow in one spot. I see so many players who work hard at keeping their elbow high, but when they throw they look like they're doing The Locomotion.

26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

find it interesting that we all get hung up on how we grip when we SET our shot, but in most cases the grip changes as we draw back. there for shouldnt that be the grip we start with?
 MATCH DARTS: 26g Robbo's

my grip is the same from start to just before I begin the release
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(11-03-2013, 04:22 PM)DIRTY G Wrote: find it interesting that we all get hung up on how we grip when we SET our shot, but in most cases the grip changes as we draw back. there for shouldnt that be the grip we start with?

I found this intriguing. Got up from the kitchen table, grabbed a round #2 pencil (10 gm, smooth barrel, 6.8 mm in diameter) and tried it. Pretty sure my grip stays the same.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(05-19-2013, 03:33 PM)djrocs88 Wrote: I find it interesting if you look the grip of all the players really are not that much different as to where the dart sits between the thumb and finger. The dart sits at the knuckle of the finger. I hold mine at my fingertip. hmmm maybe thats why I suck lol

I noticed that too. Very little/if any contact with the index finger tip. Almost throwing with a clenched fist with wrist cocked backwards.

Hoooooow do they throw like that?
(05-19-2013, 10:28 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Nice pic Bullseye, I think a lot of people say about holding the elbow higher but I am not sure I do and to be honest when I have tried I find it quite uncomfortable, I guess there is only ever going to be guidelines on how things should be done but I remember making a thread in the old forum and asking if there was such a thing as a "TEXTBOOK" throw, the closest I can think of is the likes of Lowe, Taylor off hand.

I spent a lot of 2012 trying to follow a style similar to Lowe and I was trying to keep my arm vertical and elbow high but just could not do it, felt too unnatural and awkward. So I try to to just work on throwing the dart along the "laser eye line" to the target as George might say, but for me its the grip and release that I think causes my problems, hopefully I will improve it soon.

I'm telling ya Grip, try throwing with your 'off' hand, if you have not injured that side too. I know it feels awkward, I've been mixing in throwing lefty when I feel my right shoulder (I am a righty) tightens up. What else are you going to do while "resting" your throwing arm.
What I like is that I don't have to "work around the pain" which is just BS, I don't care how good you are or were, if your throwing arm/shoulder/wrist/fingers is/are injured, your mechanics are screwed and you're not thinking about your game, you're wondering at what point in your follow-through will your balky throwing arm fail you. Also, there are no bad habits from your "Off" side, so you can go through your pre-flight check list... elbow tucked in and higher..humerus parallel to the floor, find that classic grip... now just try to get those darts to fall in the inner circle, pay attention to where the majority end up, try for a tighter grouping... then adjust your footing so they end up where you want them to. When you hear that ever satisfying solid thump when they're hitting the board you know the delivery is right, no energy scrubbing wobbly throws.... straight to the board! You're almost there!
Screw it! If your other arm feels fine... then try it, it's easier to gain coordination than work around the pain. It will also make you think a bit differently when you do start throwing with your dominant arm again.

I did have a video of myself somewhere of me throwing the darts before my injury but I cant find it at present but as soon as I do I will compare my present throw to that.
I hear ya, and I wish it would work that way well, at least my left arm would be in line with my dominant left eye, worth a try I guess, it just feels so weird throwing with the left, almost feels like trying to control another persons arm Smile
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I hear you on that grip! I thought I would give it a go thinking it can't be that hard. I was wrong, I had no real control over my arm and everything just felt alien. I'm sure over time I could develop it but at first it's strange. I learnt how to play football with both feet so I'm sure given time I could do the same for darts with my arms. And if I can anyone can!
[Image: fXeMWag.png]
Ok, I'm not talking about Dave Chappelle's "Lil' John" skit about sitting on your hand until it's numb and giving yourself a "Stranger".... that's very different.
er I don't think I want to ask about that lol!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

colin osborne !

the 2004 world finalist kevin painter !

Attached Files
.jpg   kevin p.jpg (Size: 18.1 KB / Downloads: 434)
Then there's the Dennis Smith's of the world that look like his darts are doing a hula as he draws them back to get ready to throw. One of the strangest motions I've ever seen for anybody, much less a pro competing in the PDC.
(07-29-2014, 10:16 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: Then there's the Dennis Smith's of the world that look like his darts are doing a hula as he draws them back to get ready to throw. One of the strangest motions I've ever seen for anybody, much less a pro competing in the PDC.

haha you mean this one mate ?