Practice Smart
2hrs/day---yikes! I salute your focus, concentration and dedication! I can’t get any benefit out of more than an hour a day. I start to fall apart after that and I find I’m just wasting time, chucking darts at the board without benefit.
Is stamina or durability in your arm ever a concern? I put in about 11 hours over 2 days this past week and noticed that after a couple hours each day I was getting worse and worse, even with a half hour break to refocus.
yes. Refocus is a lesson in itself. I tend to slow down in the middle of A3, then pick up again at the end. The stroke falls apart when there are things wrong with it. This is why a concept like Paul Lim's ABC works so well. To be consistent, you need to pay attention to all three waypoints... A: the aim, B, fully pulled back, C, fully extended. Any of the three can fail. Rush and miss A or B. fail to extend and miss C. Jerky? improper setup, to name one cause.... poor from A to B etc.

I fully believe when a player says they are working on the basics, they are talking about their mechanics. Or, do you think Ted Hankey;s signature smoothness is natural?
(07-13-2015, 03:20 AM)BigE Wrote: yes. Refocus is a lesson in itself. I tend to slow down in the middle of A3, then pick up again at the end. The stroke falls apart when there are things wrong with it. This is why a concept like Paul Lim's ABC works so well. To be consistent, you need to pay attention to all three waypoints... A: the aim, B, fully pulled back, C, fully extended. Any of the three can fail. Rush and miss A or B. fail to extend and miss C. Jerky? improper setup, to name one cause.... poor from A to B etc.

I fully believe when a player says they are working on the basics, they are talking about their mechanics. Or, do you think Ted Hankey;s signature smoothness is natural?

In my opinion the best part about Lim's ABC's is that it puts the shooters focus on themselves, the immediate present and what they are directly doing, and not about where the dart will land, what people will think or any other thing out of the players control.

The downside comes when this expands into thinking. Thinking is the enemy. Cool
Solid advice!
(07-13-2015, 04:23 AM)davidsproull Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 03:20 AM)BigE Wrote: yes. Refocus is a lesson in itself. I tend to slow down in the middle of A3, then pick up again at the end. The stroke falls apart when there are things wrong with it. This is why a concept like Paul Lim's ABC works so well. To be consistent, you need to pay attention to all three waypoints... A: the aim, B, fully pulled back, C, fully extended. Any of the three can fail. Rush and miss A or B. fail to extend and miss C. Jerky? improper setup, to name one cause.... poor from A to B etc.

In my opinion the best part about Lim's ABC's is that it puts the shooters focus on themselves, the immediate present and what they are directly doing, and not about where the dart will land, what people will think or any other thing out of the players control.

The downside comes when this expands into thinking. Thinking is the enemy. Cool

Practice is filled with thinking. From the time that you are told where to put your foot, you think: My foot goes there -- it always goes there. You are told to balance on the forward foot.... you think about it. You decide where to throw.... lift and aim... you look at where you've lined it all up... you are thinking. You decide when to throw....

The biggest danger in darts is to throw mindlessly. Mindless throwing ingrains poor movement patterns. The goal is to practice until the stroke is automatic.... but not mindless. Paul Lim's ABC is not a cheap distraction. It dissects the stroke into the parts A/B/C and enables corrective action.

If you don't stop to aim, you have no A.
If your pull back distance is variable with your anxiety level, you have no B.
If you snatch the dart and do not extend, you have no C.

All the while you can be moving your elbow about.... moving the elbow after aiming defeats what you've done at point A...

Darts is a sport like any other. There are successful movement patterns and unsuccessful movement patterns. Successful movements are the ones that should be learned. You will not stumble across world beating movements without knowing what they are, and without consciously practicing them. You do not master them until they become part of your muscle memory. And you do that by first thinking, then executing.

After you have achieved training the movement into muscle memory, then yes, thinking about it is bad.

Without thinking at all, you may become as good as you can be, but that does not mean you'll be a champion. You will only become as good as your movement patterns allow. They will not magically be refined into PDC quality movements by neglecting to learn/pay attention to the successful movements.

My version of practice smart: Learn the movements.
Excellent advice all around. The recommended drills are great. A1 has been helping this newbie immensely.

I have also found that when I need variety, switching to my soft tips and playing against the computer adds a great deal of variety and I find myself flying through games and wonder where the time has gone.

Where I live most bars have the soft tip boards, so this helps in a couple of ways. However, there is nothing like the purity of the bristle board!!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system.