Snatching is bad ! Open that hand please!
I think alignment at the line effects this two. I find when not aligned properly, the brain does its thing and causes the snatches because a full follow through won’t get to the target.
Started playing again in November 2017 after a 30 year hiatus.

Match darts - XQMax MVG Gen II  23g, Wolfram Infinity 20g Soft

Bottlesen GT's 24g new model, Bottlesen GT’s 24g 1980 model, Bottlesen 20g Gzt Soft, Harrows Pulse 24g, 
Blade 5 DC

180's: Yes
Best finish: 129 ( 19, T20, B) Pro-Darter
bump
I have been struggling the last couple of weeks of “snatching”. Very little follow through and when I try to force the follow through, I am much more inconsistent. Weird, because it seems to come and go.

Then this weekend I identified that for me, the amount of smooth follow though is dependant on my back motion.. if I set up with my forearm already leaning back follow through takes a strong conscious effort and not good, but pendulum type throw, the follow through is natural

My question is... is a backward motion ok in the long run, or should I limit that.
Started playing again in November 2017 after a 30 year hiatus.

Match darts - XQMax MVG Gen II  23g, Wolfram Infinity 20g Soft

Bottlesen GT's 24g new model, Bottlesen GT’s 24g 1980 model, Bottlesen 20g Gzt Soft, Harrows Pulse 24g, 
Blade 5 DC

180's: Yes
Best finish: 129 ( 19, T20, B) Pro-Darter
I think it is important to keep in mind that the ACTUAL THROW takes place within a very short space and in roughly 1/10 of a second at most. What the arm and hand do after that can indicate what has happened in that 1/10 second. So a snatching arm movement indicates tension and a sideward movement already in that magic 1/10 second. 
I don't think follow through should be forced or copied from someone else or that the hand HAS to be facing a certain way and the wrist HAS to be at a certain angle. It all depends on so many different factors you really can't say what it SHOULD be like. For example, if I throw normally with my pencil type grip, (third finger under tip) my darts roll off my index finger and spin clockwise, and my hand and fingers end up in a certain position.* However, If I grip the dart differently, further down on my thumb and index finger (third finger against the point), the dart rolls off my thumb and spins anti-clockwise and my hand opens automatically in a very different way.
What has to be, IMVHO, is the arm should flow smoothly in the direction of the target. Look at Steve Beaton! Looks strange compared to others these days, but what a lovely throw! 
One thing is for sure, I would hate to be MvG's right elbow!

*pictures here:
http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=31258

[Image: 40044213562_88cce74fd0_b.jpg]

Target 9Five Generation 3s Cool  23.g (weighted 22s) 32mm points.  How can I miss with them arrows?  Undecided   

(02-13-2018, 09:27 AM)DanC.Licks Wrote: One thing is for sure, I would hate to be MvG's right elbow!

Thats for sure. Im really curious (and i would bet my money on that) how long MvG can play with this style of throw. I cannot imagine that this will not take its toll...in the long run.
[Image: aviary-image-1546527737695-02.jpg]
Not to mention his back, hips, knees.... He would be a great player even if he were to use a healthier stance and throw, me thinks.

[Image: 40044213562_88cce74fd0_b.jpg]

Target 9Five Generation 3s Cool  23.g (weighted 22s) 32mm points.  How can I miss with them arrows?  Undecided   

I’m a total beginner and when I finish A1 I set the timer and do 10 minutes of double twenties with my primary focus being smooth extension.  
I’m getting better little by little.

Roland
(02-13-2018, 03:49 AM)Blanton Wrote: I have been struggling the last couple of weeks of “snatching”.   Very little follow through and when I try to force the follow through,  I am much more inconsistent.  Weird, because it seems to come and go.

Then this weekend I identified that for me, the amount of smooth follow though is dependant on my back motion..  if I set up with my forearm already leaning back follow through takes a strong conscious effort and not good, but pendulum type throw, the follow through is natural

My question is... is a backward motion ok in the long run, or should I limit that.

I'm in the same boat. I know to follow through, but catch myself fighting bouts of snatching for some inexplicable reason. Sometimes, however, my throw seems to be effortless and a nice follow through feels perfectly natural. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get it all to feel right.

It may very well have to do with my take back. I don't have much of one at the moment, and set up with my hand close to my face and just do a little 1-2 bounce and then forward. That's just what feels most comfortable. I'll try your suggestion on a deliberate take back, which is something most players seem to have in their throw.

As for the original post, is there a concerted effort to be made to open the hand, or is just something that happens naturally with a good/strong follow through?
Sometimes I catch myself snatching and try to figure out why, because it seems totally random.
Forcing your hand open on the follow through definitely helps, but that's the fix, not the root cause.
When it happens, it feels like my release is too late, I've held on to the dart too long, and in a last ditch effort to straighten it out my brain is directing my hand to let go immediately and push it back in the right direction. Of course it never works and feels awkward.
Still not positive why it happens, but I'm sensing it's related to grip and how wet or dry my hands are. Switching to darts with a minimal grip level does seem to help sometimes.
(03-02-2018, 12:19 AM)SpoonyG Wrote: Sometimes I catch myself snatching and try to figure out why, because it seems totally random.
Forcing your hand open on the follow through definitely helps, but that's the fix, not the root cause.
When it happens, it feels like my release is too late, I've held on to the dart too long, and in a last ditch effort to straighten it out my brain is directing my hand to let go immediately and push it back in the right direction. Of course it never works and feels awkward.
Still not positive why it happens, but I'm sensing it's related to grip and how wet or dry my hands are. Switching to darts with a minimal grip level does seem to help sometimes.
I think it's a lack of confidence in that particular throw. That's what I've found anyway because such behaviours happen less and less as I get into the zone.  If I'm snatching it's because I don't have full confidence in that throw. The snatching is like a hesitation.
That's why I start off my session throwing at the board not caring where I hit, just so that I can get the action. When I start caring about what I hit, that's when the snatching will start because I'm not 100% that I will hit the target. Then as I get into the session the snatching eases off as my confidence improves.

I can see where you're coming from when you think it's grip because it can appear like that, but it isn't the grip.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Snatching your darts is bad -bad-bad *Saber* 75 28,186 08-23-2019, 06:31 AM
Last Post: laconic
  Stop Snatching & Throw Smooth. HOW?? Snooks 7 1,597 04-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Chipdiddytim
  Snatching? Frisco 13 4,252 04-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Last Post: The G