Snatching is bad ! Open that hand please!
I totally agree, I too struggle and I think about the grip instead of the release, anyway way to throw softer instead of harder?
You have to change your attitude about what you are doing. If you think you are "placing" the dart, as opposed to throwing it, your dart speed may slow down.

It may also completely ruin your technique.
this is an idea I've been working on after watching Whitlock place a dart off the first dart in the T20. He was so smooth it was kissed into place. When I get there I can't miss the mark. But alas, it happens so seldom it throws me off when it does float in.
It's all about floating to the board and a smooth release is all the more fluid to me.
I have the problem also, i tend sometimes to really hold my hard to thight, and then the dart lands in the 3 instead of 20, have to say i happes lesser and lesser since my wade phase2s
Darts: Shot! 901-1 gold 21gr/Winmau Hankey 21 gr/Unicorn Wade 22gr
Board: Shot! Bandit Plus
Bump for the newbs.

I suggested my friend try this when he came over the other day - noticed he wasn't following through fully. Immediately he started playing better! I'm trying to focus on it now, it's such a simple thing to do but it helps loads.
[Image: SJPX5hS.png]

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Since reading of the importance of a good follow through here, and analyzing my throw, I have developed a much better throw. Instead of my arm stopping at a 45 degree angle I now follow through fully. I try to avoid moving to the feeder hand until I hear the dart hit the board. I'm not a naturally outgoing person so seeing the almost attention-seeking follow through of some pro's was, I think, a turn off for me.

Since developing my throw in this way I have become a much better player than I thought I ever could be.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
While watching the world championships I said to myself "I don't throw my darts that hard". I follow through pretty well but my dart lazily floats to the board. Very inconsistently might I add. Flight school says to do it the way you do it but when the pros don't do it that way it makes you think. 
When I try to stroke it a bit faster I snatch at least 1 out of 3. For me I think I speed up everything, I draw back faster, don't pause at all then force the launch and release. I have to just relax and try to reach for the board and it seems to speed up the dart and not the throw.
Shoot well and often
(12-26-2015, 09:21 PM)Dart dog Wrote: While watching the world championships I said to myself "I don't throw my darts that hard". I follow through pretty well but my dart lazily floats to the board. Very inconsistently might I add. Flight school says to do it the way you do it but when the pros don't do it that way it makes you think. 
When I try to stroke it a bit faster I snatch at least 1 out of 3. For me I think I speed up everything, I draw back faster, don't pause at all then force the launch and release. I have to just relax and try to reach for the board and it seems to speed up the dart and not the throw.

It is not speed that is the cause, it is intent.  They *mean* it.  There is no hoping or watching it go in.  Once you pull back the arm, you cannot do anything positive in finessing or floating in a dart.  You throw it to hit your target.  If you miss, so what?  You did your best. If your darts float into place, you did not.

What you are seeing when the pros throw, is the dart striking the board with confidence.
(12-26-2015, 11:58 PM)BigE Wrote:
(12-26-2015, 09:21 PM)Dart dog Wrote: While watching the world championships I said to myself "I don't throw my darts that hard". I follow through pretty well but my dart lazily floats to the board. Very inconsistently might I add. Flight school says to do it the way you do it but when the pros don't do it that way it makes you think. 

It is not speed that is the cause, it is intent.  They *mean* it.  There is no hoping or watching it go in.  Once you pull back the arm, you cannot do anything positive in finessing or floating in a dart.  You throw it to hit your target.  If you miss, so what?  You did your best. If your darts float into place, you did not.

What you are seeing when the pros throw, is the dart striking the board with confidence.

I removed part of my post above about how increasing my follow through had a collateral impact of leading me throw, not harder exactly, but firmer. I was always a softish thrower with a tendency to float them tentatively when nervous or under pressure. I always wanted a harder throw but it always seemed forced and unnatural when I tried. Once I developed a fuller follow through it just came naturally.

I don't feel as if my throw itself is fundamentally different, just as it should be.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
You're right,  a better follow through can cause the darts to strike to board more firmly.  

I just wanted to point out that so can throwing with confidence -- I know when I am throwing with confidence, I am not tentative.  As a rule, with confidence the darts don't miss below the target as much as they miss above it.  There is also a much better rhythm to the action. 

BTW: Tentativeness is a darn good reason to throw at T19 instead of T20, since the wedge below the target opens up.  

Tentative throwing ( for me ) often means stopping short of a full follow through.  So, it becomes a "chicken and egg" question... do you stop short because you're being tentative/really careful (mental game) or do you stop short because you are trying to finesse the dart into place (mechanical cause)?  

I do both.  

In the past I thought I could finesse a dart into place -- it is a hard habit to break.  Just throw at the target.... if you can't see it, move so you can throw straight or run for cover.  

Now, when being overly careful,  my darts often land short of their target.  IMO, both ideas of finessing the dart and having a careful throw are wrong.  

You cannot finesse, as the throw happens much faster than you can send adjusting signals from your head to your hand.  And since you cannot make adjustments during the stroke, being careful ought to be restricted to addressing the board and lining up the shot.  It should not affect the quality/speed of the stroke.  When being careful, like making a setup shot or going for a double in competition,  I may pullback too slow which causes all sorts of problems.

IMO, the goal is to repeat your stroke time and time again, irrespective of pressure or desire.  For me, that means you have confidence in your stroke.  You're not over-supervising it. You're not slowing it down, you're not altering your rhythm, your stance etc..... You throw with the exact same mechanics that you practice because you believe in them.

I believe that following through is the cornerstone of the game.  If you are going to  focus on anything that gets my vote.
One thing I used to do is put a small twine across my eye line in front of my board. Basically it was the spot where my hand would touch if I did a full follow through/arm extension.

I got it so it wouldn't actually interfere with my throw...my dart would clear the top. My hand would continually move though and my goal was to full outstretch and just nick the twine with a finger/hand.

I think it's helped out a lot.

I case you're wondering how I attached the twine, I shot next to a wooden shelf. On the other side I would set up a ladder and attack the string to both sides so stretches across.

Just be careful not to be an idiot like me and space out while walking back to the oche...and get closelined across the chin/neck from walking into the twine.
Another thing I want to mention. Not every pro has a perfect follow through where there arm extends perfectly straight and drops down straight.

For the longest time I couldn't figure out how to get my arm straight and realized I was actually doing it but my body mechanics forces my arm to drift sideways after the extension. I think it's my elbow or shoulder...for all I know it could be an old injury since there are certain things I can't do with my right arm and have limited movement compared to my left.

Dave Chisnall is a good example of this. His arm will drift sideways after the throw. He's extending fully out but immediately after the extension it drifts sideways to his left.
(12-25-2015, 01:29 PM)Kosumo Wrote: Bump for the newbs.

I suggested my friend try this when he came over the other day - noticed he wasn't following through fully. Immediately he started playing better! I'm trying to focus on it now, it's such a simple thing to do but it helps loads.
ImO snatching is still the number one No-No!
It's definetly something that I'm guilty of, I do have to keep reminding myself of the basics - often refer to the Paul Lim A-B-C videos.

If I can take it out of my general game then it will help when I'm under pressure in match situations
I just go with what is natural. The more you think about it the worse it is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Snatching your darts is bad -bad-bad *Saber* 77 30,295 12-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Last Post: János Gönczi
  Stop Snatching & Throw Smooth. HOW?? Snooks 7 2,089 04-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Chipdiddytim
  Snatching? Frisco 13 4,391 04-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Last Post: The G