How many sets of darts you've bought before finding the perfect set?
I currently have six sets, but have likely discarded 3-4 others over the years, so lets call it 10 sets so far . . .
I bought about 6 or 7 sets before trying the Unicorn Phase 2's.

Dart World Piranha's, Target Adrian Lewis, Target Precision Discovery, Target Storm, Unicorn John Lowe, Unicorn Phase 6.

Wasn't sure what my dart was until I finally received the Phase 2's Purists.

Everything about the Phase 2's just seem right for me. The length, the feel, the weight. They just tend to go where I throw them.

It's going to take a hell of a dart to ever replace them.
Started Playing - 10/18/2014

Darts Using at The Moment - Unicorn Golden Phase 2 Purists 

Dartboard - Shot! Bandit Plus & Winmau Extreme Dart Board Surround

180's - 3

Highest Checkout - Whole Foods Checkout Line
The problem with darts is that they don't take up much space. They aren't really too expensive. If you're as undisciplined as I am, it's easy to buy, buy, buy!

The next set is THE set, I'm sure.
The next set is always THE set Tongue
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(11-19-2015, 06:40 AM)BigE Wrote: According to Terry Jenkins, the dart does not matter.  The player gets used to the dart irrespective of what he uses.  

Taking this to heart, I've decided to use a set of smooth darts.  The reason is that there is no grip to wear out.  The grip on the darts that were most successful for me wore out in no time.

Well said BigE.

I am starting to entertain that thought about smooth darts.  If they have too much grip I always have trouble releasing.
But the ones that hit that sweet spot for me start losing some of their grip after a couple of weeks which starts to affect my throw. Aargh!
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

I'm still going
(01-05-2016, 07:44 PM)Tgstan Wrote: The problem with darts is that they don't take up much space. They aren't really too expensive. If you're as undisciplined as I am, it's easy to buy, buy, buy!

The next set is THE set, I'm sure.

Easier to hide than some other purchases too ^.^
Darts: 18g softtip Monster Cobra 2BA, 260 LStyle Champagne Shafts, L3 Flights.
Other Darts: 18g softtip Monster Soldier No.5
Best out (soft tip): 106 (16, Bull, d20).

Darts Connect ID: 1000002362
Maybe my answer should be in the new "confession" thread but I was reading the answers here so I thought I'd give my thoughts.
How many sets? It shouldn't be that complicated an answer......pick a barrel style, a preferred weight and grip pattern. 1.....2......3........done
I wish  Big Grin

The bigger question is, WHY does a person need to try so many sets of darts? Maybe we (meaning I) need a psychologist to weigh in here because I've come to the realization that I've bought different sets over and over for probably 15 years or more. Nutz, you bet. Obsessive compulsive....more likely. 

About a year ago, I went to my history on all the major dealers that I've bought and wrote all the transactions in chronological order. I probably bought a new set at least every three weeks. I am in the over 100 sets category easily. Did I ever find "the" set? I had a set of 22 gram John Lowe hero's that I finally hit a 180 in league play with that I thought were but over time, realized that they were a lighter dart was hurting my shoulder so the search was back on. Never mind the 20 or so sets that were gathering dust..order more I say!!

My question to myself as I went through the long list of transactions was - what triggered me most of the time to order another set?
Was it Grip's spectacular review? Was it because the newest world champion was throwing them? Was it because I was following a logical thought progression based on what did or didn't work before? Nope.

99% of the time, I would come home after my league night (a "fun" league made up of probably 50% retirees) and after shooting terrible, I would impulsively order another set. Lack of confidence? Absolutely. Drunken stupidity? Yes sir. 

Did the new set suddenly turn my game around? The cycle repeats - hitting great at first, feeling very confident, then something isn't working. Just not right.

Sorry, what was the question again? Oh yeah right...how many sets until you find "the" set. Haven't got a clue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Sorry for the long post  Big Grin
I've been playing just over a year I've had 8 sets ?
Wouldnt want the same car or phone for life, same for darts. I like to try lots of sets, not for any other reason than because I can.
If I did ever find the set that make me World class I would probably modify or trade them LOL
p[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

(01-06-2016, 02:26 AM)Nucky Wrote: Maybe my answer should be in the new "confession" thread but I was reading the answers here so I thought I'd give my thoughts.
How many sets? It shouldn't be that complicated an answer......pick a barrel style, a preferred weight and grip pattern. 1.....2......3........done
I wish  Big Grin

The bigger question is, WHY does a person need to try so many sets of darts? Maybe we (meaning I) need a psychologist to weigh in here because I've come to the realization that I've bought different sets over and over for probably 15 years or more. Nutz, you bet. Obsessive compulsive....more likely. 

About a year ago, I went to my history on all the major dealers that I've bought and wrote all the transactions in chronological order. I probably bought a new set at least every three weeks. I am in the over 100 sets category easily. Did I ever find "the" set? I had a set of 22 gram John Lowe hero's that I finally hit a 180 in league play with that I thought were but over time, realized that they were a lighter dart was hurting my shoulder so the search was back on. Never mind the 20 or so sets that were gathering dust..order more I say!!

My question to myself as I went through the long list of transactions was - what triggered me most of the time to order another set?
Was it Grip's spectacular review? Was it because the newest world champion was throwing them? Was it because I was following a logical thought progression based on what did or didn't work before? Nope.

99% of the time, I would come home after my league night (a "fun" league made up of probably 50% retirees) and after shooting terrible, I would impulsively order another set. Lack of confidence? Absolutely. Drunken stupidity? Yes sir. 

Did the new set suddenly turn my game around? The cycle repeats - hitting great at first, feeling very confident, then something isn't working. Just not right.

Sorry, what was the question again? Oh yeah right...how many sets until you find "the" set. Haven't got a clue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Sorry for the long post  Big Grin

The search is OVER!!!!!!!!!

Unicorn John Part Ambassador 24 grams. From this day forward!!!!!
The Holy Grail,Darting Nirvana ,”The One’s” is a moving Target.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 

Quote:The Holy Grail,Darting Nirvana ,”The One’s” is a moving Target.
I've just noticed that, and you've succinctly stated what I've taken a paragraph to waffle around, below. Well said!.

There never will be a fixed perfect set because our skills are always evolving, and the current best set will evolve with that. At the moment my 'default' set are the Harrows Atomics and they have been for a few months now. In maybe 6 months time they may be different again, but I would think that they would be subtly different rather than a complete change (eg going from Bristow darts to John Lowe shape)

I still have other sets, but I don't often find time for them after I've done my daily practice.
I bought a couple of mid-range darts of various length and shapes to see what I leaned towards. I've used the information I've felt/seen/tracked from those sets to purchase 3 new sets with a much better idea of what I prefer. I'm hoping one of these 3 will be "the ones", and if not, then it gets close enough that the next purchase will be the end all.
I've had the HH GT's as my only set for 30 years. After getting back into the game a couple of months ago I bought a couple sets to have as house darts. Giving these a try made me realize I should be giving other darts a chance, plus I can't get GT shafts any more . the "house darts" gave me an idea of what I really liked and my new Pulse's seem to be the "one"
Started playing again in November 2017 after a 30 year hiatus.

Match darts - XQMax MVG Gen II  23g, Wolfram Infinity 20g Soft

Bottlesen GT's 24g new model, Bottlesen GT’s 24g 1980 model, Bottlesen 20g Gzt Soft, Harrows Pulse 24g, 
Blade 5 DC

180's: Yes
Best finish: 129 ( 19, T20, B) Pro-Darter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to find your perfect darts? vanJupp 92 25,036 09-03-2019, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Winmau and how to play perfect darts *Saber* 3 1,980 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Last Post: toeirzt
  Finding YOUR Setup AD18 12 4,108 08-31-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: ballouj74
  How I found my perfect darts (so far :) ) Miek 8 3,101 03-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Last Post: off the mark
  Advice requested on a few (cheaper) sets of darts jp58 18 2,869 10-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: JordWareham501
  Finding “the right darts" Adams 10 3,993 03-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Dalman