How many sets of darts you've bought before finding the perfect set?
+1 from me too. Nice post Chris, makes alot of sense.
2017 180 count - 3
Board - Blade 4
Darts - Unicorn Hamilton 23g with storm points
Oche - Duct Tape
(12-22-2014, 05:45 AM)majeek Wrote: The next thread title should be: How many sets of darts you've bought after finding the perfect set?

Lol :crylol:

Match Darts=Cosmo John Part ® 20.4g 

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Rolleyes
Cheers,
 Ken 

Scotty Burnett V3 26g. 3rd set bought, loved them. 10 sets later they were knocked off the top, by Scotty Burnett V3 24g, crazy. Still like the RD Sky Pros as well close Third.
Cheers Geordie.
(03-27-2015, 11:45 AM)chrisg333 Wrote: I think there has been some good points on here (see what I did there) in that if you are throwing badly you start looking at the possible reasons, after ruling out form issues then it has to be equipment and as a set of darts is relatively cheap new sets are bought......usually for the wrong reasons...

In archery (I shoot at County level and I'm currently ranked 70th in the UK for 2014) its the same but the difference is a quality bow will cost around £1000 and a set of match arrows around £500 for a dozen so its not so easy to buy some points....what it does teach you is that it is rarely the equipment at fault (unless it has developed a fault) so you have to work out what the issue is because unless you are very fortunate and have lots of spare income you can't go out and buy a new setup every time you shoot bad, in the beginning I did exactly that and went through 5 different bows each time convincing myself that the next one would shoot better.... now I shoot a bow that is deemed out of date with arrows that are two seasons old which most of the other archers deem a sacrilege....but I shoot at a consistent high level, when I get into the doldrums I fall back on practice and drilling my form, breaking down each piece of the action whether it be a throw or drawing back a bow they are all made up of different phases and transitions, then you work on each phase and drill it until you are either sick of doing it or you've worked through the problem. It can take the fun out of it but it depends what you want back, high scores or good fun.

I used my archery knowledge as a baseline and have learned that once I'm comfortable with a set of darts if I then start throwing badly I will throw through it no matter how long it takes and it will comeback, sometimes quickly sometimes not so quick.

I used to be good with a certain weight and a certain type of barrel (John Lowe's 21g plain tungsten) but after a 15 year gap I came back and couldn't throw them worth a dam, so the search has begun....

Nice post! Very true +1
If you are a guest browsing this forum, why not join up, we're a friendly bunch here and love to welcome new membersSmile Click HERE to join

Subscribe to my Darts Review Channel on Youtube: CLICK HERE

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

[Image: 87L1RR5.png]
(03-27-2015, 11:45 AM)chrisg333 Wrote: I think there has been some good points on here (see what I did there) in that if you are throwing badly you start looking at the possible reasons, after ruling out form issues then it has to be equipment and as a set of darts is relatively cheap new sets are bought......usually for the wrong reasons...

In archery (I shoot at County level and I'm currently ranked 70th in the UK for 2014) its the same but the difference is a quality bow will cost around £1000 and a set of match arrows around £500 for a dozen so its not so easy to buy some points....what it does teach you is that it is rarely the equipment at fault (unless it has developed a fault) so you have to work out what the issue is because unless you are very fortunate and have lots of spare income you can't go out and buy a new setup every time you shoot bad, in the beginning I did exactly that and went through 5 different bows each time convincing myself that the next one would shoot better.... now I shoot a bow that is deemed out of date with arrows that are two seasons old which most of the other archers deem a sacrilege....but I shoot at a consistent high level, when I get into the doldrums I fall back on practice and drilling my form, breaking down each piece of the action whether it be a throw or drawing back a bow they are all made up of different phases and transitions, then you work on each phase and drill it until you are either sick of doing it or you've worked through the problem. It can take the fun out of it but it depends what you want back, high scores or good fun.

I used my archery knowledge as a baseline and have learned that once I'm comfortable with a set of darts if I then start throwing badly I will throw through it no matter how long it takes and it will comeback, sometimes quickly sometimes not so quick.

I used to be good with a certain weight and a certain type of barrel (John Lowe's 21g plain tungsten) but after a 15 year gap I came back and couldn't throw them worth a dam, so the search has begun....

I love dart analogies to other life experiences. The above is a good one imho. I try to bridge different sciences with common truths. I especially agree with the part about throwing through a bad spell.

I had two identical sets of 18g nickel silver darts that were included with an Accudart board. Soon after, I bought a set of Nodor 26g tungsten darts. They were a great choice. Had I stopped right there I would have been fine, and probably further down the road than I am now. I now feel confident with them in any situation. I wandered around, at about a set a month. I have 11 sets beyond the original nickel silver darts. My bro and his wife got me a set of 24g Phase 2 Purist for Christmas. Those work for me. Are they perfect? No. They need a more tapered nose, and a screw in flared point to perfectly meet the barrel would be supreme. I have a few sets that I feel really good about. (all my darts are fun to throw). So my nutzieness, is waning. I am sure I will buy new darts to try, I will just be more selective. I realize from here on out it is more want than need.
[Image: BJ8F7UG.png]

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Don't over complicate things. The Art of Buying Darts is distilled into one Golden Rule: the Perfect Set of Darts is the next set that you buy. Apply that rule. I did and now have many Perfect Sets of Darts. You can too.
You don't mess with The Voice of Reason. You have the right to be wrong.

(03-28-2015, 05:04 AM)The G Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 05:45 AM)majeek Wrote: The next thread title should be: How many sets of darts you've bought after finding the perfect set?

Lol :crylol:
I like this post- why? because its soo true.Big Grin
[Image: 2e2gdae.jpg]
Too many and still counting...
I bought a new set when returning to darts, as the old ones were too light. I then bought a second a month or so later, which I was in love with.... then we had a falling out. There is no question that my accuracy was better with those darts, I just could not feel them in my hand. So, I bought a third set that feels great, but accuracy dropped.

I am back to the first set, but setup like the last one.

And another is in the mail..... so, at least 4
How many? Wow, that's a big question. In my last foray into dart (around 2005), it took me 4 sets to get something I liked and threw those until I stopped.

I started again a few months ago, soft tip this time, so needed a new set off the bat. 5 sets have now been put aside including that first set, the soft tip board (WAY TOO LOUD) is down and I shoot soft tip on a sisal board. There are 4 sets I really like now, all for different reasons. One of those needs a touch of nose weight and the putty is in the mail to me. I'm whittling those 4 sets down to 1 and will stick to those as my main darts for a while.

But I'm easily distracted by shiny things, so I will probably keep trying different darts out of curiosity more than hoping they are my perfect set. We always learn something from every set we touch.

Ultimately I will design my own customs, but I think that will be a while down the road when my stroke stabilizes and I'm sure of the grip I want on the dart.
Dabbler and over thinker...
Just outside Montreal

Current darts: Winmau Sniper 18g barrels; Lippoint plastic tips; #4 Fit Spinning shafts and Fit Super Shape flights
Home board: Blade 4 (playing with soft tips)
Discipline: Flight School

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to find your perfect darts? vanJupp 87 21,263 07-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Last Post: SparkVendetta
  Winmau and how to play perfect darts *Saber* 3 1,843 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM
Last Post: toeirzt
  Finding YOUR Setup AD18 12 3,967 08-31-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: ballouj74
  How I found my perfect darts (so far :) ) Miek 8 2,938 03-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Last Post: off the mark
  Advice requested on a few (cheaper) sets of darts jp58 18 2,753 10-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: JordWareham501
  Finding “the right darts" Adams 10 3,869 03-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Dalman