Why I hate metal stems and like nylon
Personally, I only play soft tip and I'm not that good either! Average 20 PPD on a good night.

I tried using Harrows Super Grip stems, and I was severely disappointed. I have since gone back to using aluminum stems.

I do use the rubber O-rings with my stems. I generally will have 3 sets of stems in my dart case when I go play on a league night, LOD or the "Friday Friendlys". I have had zero problems with these stems since. I plan to stick with them.
In the end metal stems will cost you a leg or two before u realize the damn thing is bent or flights come out on the throw. Trust me.
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
OK, I get that most of you guys don't like aluminum shafts. I still use them because I can get them cheap and I can easily spread the tines (with the spreader part of a dart tool, not the dart point) so that if I throw an adjacent dart the flight pops off. Also, if I Robin Hood, 90% of the time I can repair the tine with a dart tool, which I always keep handy. I've only bent a couple and they are easily replaced. Tried the Dynastar system and hated the weight it added. Used the plastic shafts but a Robin Hood would destroy the shaft and the tines were not adjustable. My questions about nylon shafts are: 1) Does the flight pop off when darts are adjacent? 2) what nylon shafts do you recommend? 3) How is the durability, especially when Robin Hooded? BTW, I've always called shafts by that name and probably will never call them stems. Call a chick's legs stems maybe, but shaft just sounds more manly for a dart component. Also liken it to the shaft of an arrow. Sorry!
I am not prejudiced against aluminum stems, that is just not right. I am also prejudiced against magnesium stems.
I just don't enjoy trying to pry the prongs open to fit the flights without a) breaking the prong and b) damaging the flight; so many people struggle with this especially those with weaker eyesight.
I will also add titanium stems to my list, for the same reason just add the extra expense as c).
This is partly why I moved to L-Style, Cosmos and Sideloaders.
I do use the odd plastic shaft as back up but they tend to sit in a baggy and look at me forlorn and get given away.
I have not had any breakage problems but the issues I have itemized are enough.
So why do makers choose to ship with the obviously more expensive aluminum shafts? Red Dragon - that's all you get and off they come to be replaced with real shafts.
Nothing is Robin Hood proof but my chosen systems are more resilient.
You don't mess with The Voice of Reason. You have the right to be wrong.

Wow!! 6 pages for aluminum stems. To be honest, if I was a sponsored player I'd use them. But there's no way I'm paying for them. Expensive to replace after a robinhood. And just ONE robinhood does them in.

Bin em all I say.
aluminum stems succcckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
Normally I'm a nylon or slick sticks man but i just got some Target pincher shafts to try out. The seem really good so far as you can screw the end bit in or out to tighten or release your flights.
So far so good...
Bump- metal stems are trying to ruin another member.
My darts go in flat with nylon/plastic shafts so no alloys for me. Cheap as chips form RD in nice big bags with grip rings included. I do have some pro grips but prefer solid colours with flights same colour. RD big bag again as they don't seem to shred so easily.
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
20 gram Darts Clearance, Harrows super grip fusion stems, Rapide flights with Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average                 

(07-22-2014, 09:06 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register

Come on Larry, tell us how you really feel.

A couple months ago I found several sets of aluminum shafts with the spinning tops I tried out but didn't really like because of bending issues. I gave them to a young guy that was playing with a set that almost looked like boomerangs they were so bent. I'll never spend another red cent on aluminum shafts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn shafts...nylon/polycarb Baloos 5 200 05-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  Durable Metal stems IoloLlywelyn 8 326 04-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Last Post: justin-tutboard
  Looking for Metallic Coated Nylon Stems Ancient Darter 10 2,855 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Ed180
  Purple Nylon Stems/Gripper 2 thurgood107 8 380 09-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Little al
  Puredarts Deflectagrip Nylon Jakke 2 480 08-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Jakke
  Nylon shafts Blanton 19 2,591 03-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Oldsalt
  Nylon stem removal thurgood107 14 1,359 03-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Gotanypop
  Archers Vice Grip nylon stems from Pure. Great White North 19 2,936 11-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Need Recommendations - SLIM Nylon or Plastic Shafts Ancient Darter 15 3,415 09-23-2016, 02:40 AM
Last Post: TheCrane180
  Any shop has nylon/plastics 2ba spare top/micro TheCrane180 3 772 09-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Last Post: rich345