Why I hate metal stems and like nylon
(03-07-2016, 10:57 PM)Fenton Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Blasphemy I tell you, Blasphemy!!!!   Off with his head!!! Big Grin
(03-07-2016, 10:57 PM)Fenton Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Are you Nutz? Tongue
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Just got back into the game. Trying to decide what works for me after a while out!

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Yes its blasphemy for sure but he will learn in time hopefully.
Some of my darts have nylon and some have aluminum. I haven't really had that many problems with the aluminum stems. You put a o ring on them and they never move and people are exaggerating the bending part of the stem. There is a tool that makes it easy to bend back in place if you do robin hood. I don't really prefer one over the other at the moment but that could change in time.
Register
Oh, Hail yeah! Big Grin Testify, brother.
[IMG]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

keep the hate alive lol.
I can totally see both sides of the argument here.

the reason I moved from metal to nylon was because the stems themselves started warping after repeated hits. sure the tool will let you fix the flight ends, sort of. ive never had one go back to anywhere nearly as tight as brand new. ive used pliers or my teeth to punch them down but its hard to get perfect and if its not perfect then it wont be straight.

the O rings wasn't really an issue for me because once I went to nylon flights I realized that I needed to stock up on the retaining rings. the ones that come with most stems are rubbish.

if you break a metal stem inside the dart that's a problem. but ive broken 029384029348029834 times as many nylon stems inside the dart than metal. yes, nylon is way easier to get out, but I stopped using unicorn stems because I broke so many, which is a pain in the butt in the middle of a match.

my opinion is that I would much prefer nylon simply because they are cheap, they pretty much last forever (if you stay away from unicorn hahah) and they never warp or bend. but I don't hate on metal too much. I used to but over the last couple of years ive experimented with a lot of different setups and I found that having a little extra weight on the back end is really good for certain darts/grips/throws.

in short, I just think that there is a lot less hassle with nylon. even if you break or lose the retaining ring you can still use it if you have to. the tines never warp and if you get good ones they hardly ever break. even if you get a direct hit they will pretty much go right back to their original shape. metal is just too high maintenance for me. the O rings, the tines bending, the entire stem bending. not to mention some of them are so tight that you end up ruining the flight trying to get it on. its just too much of a pain the arse for me. but im not gonna hate on you guys for using them.

my daddy always said "that's why god made chocolate and vanilla. so you can get what you want and I can get what I want"

hahhah

MC
Watching someone take 10 mins to put a flight into a metal stem... enough said lol
Along with rings, I've used nylons with only two (opposing) tines.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- If it don't fit, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
- If it ain't broke, you might still be able to fix it.

"Maintain a solid 60.  What you do with your other two darts is up to you" -Unknown

My match darts:  24gm Unicorn Phase 2 Purist, short nylon stems, standard Robson Plus flights.
Definitely prefer nylon stems, I don't dislike metal stems but I find nylon ones much better
Sad but true I hated the nylon shafts then I got a set of Pinz and now I hate metal stems too. Big Grin 
I will make a wooden shaft for myself!Lol That's all!

[IMG=Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile ]Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile [/IMG] Register
I never liked metal stems purely because they would bend. Either outwards so you have to use your teeth to put it right. Or they pinch the flight , making them hard to get out, and later put back in on your next darting night.  Plastic stems are simple they break you replace. Cheap and happy me :-)
__Your forum needs you... Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile to the Dart Specs Database: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile / Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile - Last update: July 2017
(04-29-2013, 05:57 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile
Register
Your dead right saber  I've been experamenting with ally's I used a dart point to prize prong out to give effect of been robin hooded used my tool to bend it back then I found that the gaps closed up couldn't get flight on prized it loose again with fin flat screwdriver bent i t back the more i repeated to mimick reapair the result nothing I could do to get gaps opened back up and the prongs started to bend nothing I could do flight wouldn't go back on beacuse of the bend it was putting more pressure on flight as for Alamo shafts the ones that are nylon with ally tops there flimsier every attempt I've made to fix them the prong has just snaped clean off and everytime I try to repair ally's my hands get covered in metal shards so the results tell me that ally's r nightmares to fix messy dangerous due to tools slipping and cost u more money in flights to much hassle
When trying to put a flight in a metal stem the flight ripped and i ended up impaling the stem into my thumb, on my throwing hand. Was not happy, this was before i played for a team though so its not like i had any important games coming up. But it stopped me playing for a week or so.
I am glad this thread got bumped back up. Saber probably knows I discovered the slot punch, and breaking every vow I had made, punched the majority of my flights. Most all of my darts now sport Pro-Grip, Deflectagrip, or even (shhhhh) Unicorn stems. What he doesn't know, is that of my top 5 sets, Two are sporting Keramic stems and my 12g's are running standard aluminum. With the 12g's it probably doesn't matter, but here is the thing. Aluminum and Keramic are heavier than nylon. They effectively move the center of gravity backwards. To me, it is what some darts need. I wish nylon was always the best. I definitely prefer the look, the reliability, and ease of flight installing. However, for me, function is priority one. Those keramic stems fixed problems I was having throwing some darts. The top set below are 22g McCoy Sabergrips. They are shorter and fatter than the 20g version. They required me to use a more forward grip. Since moving the center of gravity back, I can now grip further back with an even better stability. I hate the look, they just work better. I wouldn't try to repair a metal stem in a dark bar. I would rather have replacements ready. Boy Scouts are always prepared. The same applies to nylon. Sorry if I hurt your feelings Larry.

Only available to view for active members with 5 or more posts click register to join Smile

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn shafts...nylon/polycarb Baloos 5 275 05-08-2019, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Baloos
  Durable Metal stems IoloLlywelyn 8 417 04-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Last Post: justin-tutboard
  Looking for Metallic Coated Nylon Stems Ancient Darter 10 3,001 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Ed180
  Purple Nylon Stems/Gripper 2 thurgood107 8 433 09-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Little al
  Puredarts Deflectagrip Nylon Jakke 2 529 08-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Jakke
  Nylon shafts Blanton 19 2,853 03-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Oldsalt
  Nylon stem removal thurgood107 14 1,452 03-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Gotanypop
  Archers Vice Grip nylon stems from Pure. Great White North 19 3,176 11-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Need Recommendations - SLIM Nylon or Plastic Shafts Ancient Darter 15 3,538 09-23-2016, 02:40 AM
Last Post: TheCrane180
  Any shop has nylon/plastics 2ba spare top/micro TheCrane180 3 798 09-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Last Post: rich345