Broken point - help needed
Hi Nutz,

Yesterday i received my new Silver Mustang darts and played with them for 15 minutes.
I really like them, the only issue was that the smooth points would not stick in my Gladiator board, so I decided to repoint them with Diamond points.

Undortunately, the first point snapped when I tried to remove it, very close to the barrel.

[Image: 5b2be93ed3fefbe98e0c221160d370e2.jpg]
[Image: ae876a7adebd658b847f65862721ed65.jpg]

I tried to get it out, but did not succeed .

If anyone has good advise how to solve this problem, I will be very thankful!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
[Image: 4912264.png]
2017 stats:                            2018 stats:
200 x 180 score                       94 x 180 score
129 x 100+ finish                      54 x 100+ finish
170 highest finish                     160 highest finish (2x)
Best leg; 12 darts (2x)              Best leg; 11 darts

Highest avg in best of 13 game; 80,93
There is quite a bit sticking out there.

Wrap the bottom of the barrel (Stem end) in some tape and put it in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Take it out and secure the barrel in a vice (or a pair of vice grip pliers)

Heat the point end of the barrel with a flame trying to avoid the remaining tip sticking out (Blow torch ?)

Get another pair of pliers and pull the tip.

If all goes well, physics and coefficients of thermal expansion and contraction should make the point loose and come out easily.

If not send Antony at Madhouse Darts an email with pictures and they will sort you out.
Back playing and having fun!

2018:-   180`s:-6 Shy ,   High Finish:-141 (T20, T19, D12)  Big Grin
There have been a few threads on point removal and I'm sure someone will remember them and post thread link.
I bought Alum powder from Ebay, Fill a saucepan or jug with water ( not steel as it will disolve that too ) I used a glass Pyrex jug.
Bring the water to a boil, add the powder and stir in, put in the dart/s and maintain simmering until the barrel stops bubbling.
Mine took around 5 hours if I recall and you will need to top up the water regularly.
If you have removed the points from the other barrels you may want to put in all three, ( mine did not discolour but at least if there is any discolouration they will all be the same ).
Alum powder is very cheap on Ebay, good luck my friend you will soon have them back in your board
[Image: GEpKdcf.png] 
Current Board 
ONE80 Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Many thanks for the advice!

As I have no alum powder, i will try the solution suggested by F4tboy first.

Will let you know if it worked

Unfortunately the F4tboy solution did not work for me...the part of the point sticking out is too small to grip with the pliers.

Ayup Zaza

Heat the point up red hot hold in players, then dip into cold water .
Then bang end on solid surface, worth a try.

Shed
I had a similar issue, could grip the pint but not hard enough to remove.

Madhouse Darts sorted it out very speedily for me.
Back playing and having fun!

2018:-   180`s:-6 Shy ,   High Finish:-141 (T20, T19, D12)  Big Grin
Madhouse darts. Awesome service for this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vinegar works too but will take a couple of weeks to rot the broken point out

Best finish 170
Best game 10 darts(4 times)
Best result 2015 Calgary open runner up
2015 Las Vegas Open semi finals in blind draw
2018 main event saskatoon runner up
2019 Alberta Masters games Silver medal
Thanks again for the feedback!

I have checked Madhouse darts website and they charge £9,49 for broken point removal. If I add the shipping cost from and to the Netherlands, it will cost the same as buying a new set...(£ 18,85).

I think I will give the other given solutions a try as well (vinegar or alum).

Darts Corner offers similar service.

A few of my mates succeded with vinegar (how I adviced them) and I've heard about the alum too. I just don't know what exactly it is and where to find it. In the case I could get some from eBay I would try it. The information about boiling it is new for me.

I'd prefer the "chemical" way over the "physical" one so I wouldn't probably try with heat and cold.
(12-24-2017, 11:58 AM)Zaza Wrote: Hi Nutz,

Yesterday i received my new Silver Mustang darts and played with them for 15 minutes.
I really like them, the only issue was that the smooth points would not stick in my Gladiator board, so I decided to repoint them with Diamond points.

Undortunately, the first point snapped when I tried to remove it, very close to the barrel.

Does it mean that the original point snapped in the repointer while you were trying pull it out?
(12-24-2017, 10:09 PM)elevendarter Wrote:
(12-24-2017, 11:58 AM)Zaza Wrote: Hi Nutz,

Does it mean that the original point snapped in the repointer while you were trying pull it out?

Yes, but it was my stupid fault. I did not make the opening wide enough when I was screwing the point in the opening, so it snapped...

How does it work exactly with vinegar? Does it dissolve the point, or does it make the point to come loose? Can I just use pure natural vinegar? How soon should it work?

Vinegar I have at home, alum not (i saw there are different types of alum available; Potassium alum, Soda alum and Ammonium alum. Do all alum types work?)

Thanks again for the help!

If you have vinegar at home you can try it right now. Pour a bit into the glass and get the dart in. It's enough to pour the small part of barrel into the bath.You should see bubbles immediatelly going up as the process starts. Once the point gets a bit smaller in a diameter it will fall out. The only issues I know are that I saw some golden John Part barrel (back on the old DC forum) and then my mate's Taylor 9Zero where the golden/mirror finish was influenced by vinegar. If Mustangs are made of plain tungsten I don't think you will see any damage later. From what I've heard from three of my mates it lasts from five days to three weeks.

Alum might be quicker, if you had some. If you place order on eBay at the same time when you start using vinegar you may get similar results though .-)
(12-24-2017, 10:28 PM)Zaza Wrote: How does it work exactly with vinegar? Does it dissolve the point, or does it make the point to come loose? Can I just use pure natural vinegar? How soon should it work?

As far as my english goes I think it dissolves the point so that it comes loose :-)