Poll: Which Carbon System?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
L style
50.57%
44 50.57%
Cosmo
36.78%
32 36.78%
Other???
12.64%
11 12.64%
Total 87 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

L Style or Cosmo Carbon *Poll*
Star 
I won some money in a tournament at the weekend and would like to treat myself to some carbon stems.

I've been wanting to get some for sometime but decided that now I'm going to go a head with it.

Questions is, L Style or Cosmo?

If I go L Style I will get some Standard shape flights and Metal Champagne rings to go with them and if I go Cosmo well just the flights (fit air).

Cosmo Stems and flights are still a little more expensive but I do like the system.
L Style are a little cheaper but the caps look good and will protect the stems perfectly from robin hoods I believe (If they are as good as whizcaps).

How will the flights hold up for each brand? Do they tear easily? does one brand perform better than the other?

And how are the stems? Are they brittle at all? Any horror stories?

There is a poll to vote on and any info or experience is much appreciated!

Cheers
[Image: fXeMWagh.png]
Jokerdriver
They're both great.

Are you thinking about the L Style L-Shaft carbon ( https://www.lstyleglobal.com/shaft/l_shaft.html ) or the L Style/Laro Carbon shaft (bottom of the page https://www.lstyleglobal.com/shaft/laro_shaft.html )?

Also, if you're considering the L-Shaft or Fit, would you be more interested in the standard or the thinner/slim version?

I'm a L Style fan but for pure flexibility, you can't beat the Cosmo carbon ("Gear" is a good version) spinning shafts. They're not wobbly/lose like most spinning shafts....and if you do choose to go fixed/non-spinning, all it takes is a tiny piece of plastic (like from a ziplock bag or saran wrap) to make them fixed/non-spinning.

The L-Shaft carbon flights do have small canards that sit in front of the flight edges for protection...and they do work at protecting that edge.

I will say the L Style caps are great. I've been playing with the Shell Lock system for almost 6 months now and have yet to get a robin hood...and I would often get them with punched flights/rings in the past.

If you want to take a hit in the pocket book now but save some money in the long run, go with the Shell Lock system. It's an L Style punch that punches a bullet shaped hole in your standard folding flights and you insert a cap that has small ridges where the flight fins will sit to stay at a 45 degree angle. I use standard R4X 100 micron flights and rarely if ever have to tweak my flights to get them even...they just stay at a perfect 45 degrees. Much cheaper in the long run instead of buying $5 flights. Plus you can bring extra pre-punched flights (with no insert) but folded flat when playing in a league/pubs ...you're not forced to carry around bulky flights that won't fold (and can be easily crushed/distorted if not put in a special case).

You will (or a friend) sit on your darts by accident at one point and L Style/Cosmo systems don't really like that....much friendlier on the wallet replacing a .50 folding flight that's bent/warped than a $5 special flight.

The Shell Lock caps only come in plastic but I've only broken ONE cap in 6 months...and I play with 25g darts. I split the seam on one of the caps.

As for durability...there is so many variables. I've seen people destroy both flights but it can depend on how you hard you throw, weight of your darts, grip level on darts, and/or pure luck.

I've played with the standard Laro carbon stems with no caps and broke a few of those with robin hoods...but with caps, they're super durable. I think both systems are durable when it comes to the actual stems. Of course that depends on luck...not much you can do if a dart hits the floor at the wrong angle/speed. I rarely hear of anyone snapping a carbon stem though and a lot of players use them in local leagues.
Not comparing L to Fit, but the L silent Carbons seems to me to be polycarb, albeit, very high quality, with only the prongs being carbon reinforced. I'm not sure really from the photos, but you could have a look here:

https://www.dartshive.jp/item/34238.html

I really wanted to get the L Silent Carbon, but am waiting for clarification of what part is carbon reinforced.

The Fit appears to be carbon reinforced all the way through if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

What is NATURAL? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
I'd go for L Style for steel and soft tips. Even the Laro shafts reinforced with champagne caps are okay.

Save the rest of your winnings for registration fees on next tournament. Start planning.

Congrats by the way.

PS: Carbon shafts are a good investment and costs almost the same as buying a set of Cosmo flights and stems. I'd say buy 2 sets of those carbon shafts (1 set for back up).
I have been using Cosmo set up for quite some time now and I really like them. Presently using #4 red spinners with white standard flights. I have 3 back up sets but these I have been using for months now with my new 23gm Rasta's and still like brand new. I do want to put tear drops on them for the heck of it. The setup IMO is beautiful and I do get lots of comments on them. The dia is 6.35 and 50.8 long. A shark grip except where the color rings are which is ring grip that gives me perfect reference point. The transition from barrel to stem is smooth as silk and with 30mm storms makes it the idea dart for me at the moment lol. The first 3 pics shown are my 26 gm Rasta's. The last pic is my 23gm ones before I put storms and Cosmo set up. Not Carbon but thought I would show anyway.

Broken link(s) removed
My apology to JayKay by posting regular Cosmo stem stuff instead of carbon. Feel free to delete buddy.
Larry
It's still within the line of context Larry.

Unless you try to post your personal "photos' - that will totally be off topic.
No problems with Cosmo Carbon.

Great stuff and less pieces to mess around with
[quote='majeek' pid='202179' dateline='1431889639']
It's still within the line of context Larry.

Unless you try to post your personal "photos' - that will totally be off topic.
[/quote
Thanks Bud I was getting to that TongueBig Grin
(05-17-2015, 04:45 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Not comparing L to Fit, but the L silent Carbons seems to me to be polycarb, albeit, very high quality, with only the prongs being carbon reinforced. I'm not sure really from the photos, but you could have a look here:

I really wanted to get the L Silent Carbon, but am waiting for clarification of what part is carbon reinforced.

The Fit appears to be carbon reinforced all the way through if I'm not mistaken.

I did not know that....good info to have. I may have to give them one more chance. When the Silent shafts first came out, I ordered a set and was not impressed. The shop accidentally sent me 3 full sets and told me to keep the other 2...I ended up giving them away and it seemed no one else cared for them either. They're not bad if you're used to regular spinning flights from the past but they can't compare to Cosmos (in tightness).

I'll have to try out the carbon version..makes sense they would be tighter since carbon is harder/can be more precise. I'm currently using the Laro/Joker Driver carbon shafts and those could easily hold a set of folding flights tight without rings.
JayKay,

L-style has written back, and confirmed that it is the spinning portion that is carbon.

According to the marketing material on FaceBook: "Feedback from players who have tested it are fantastic with the main comments being that there is very minimal to non-existent rattling and that the flight stay locked on the shaft very tightly."

L-style's recommendation where flights staying locked onto the shaft is: "The Flights are best locked tight with Champagne Rings inserted to the Champagne Flights."

From the sounds of it, the Carbon Silent may have much tighter tolerances aka, does not rattle so much, if at all.

A small hint from a county player is to pop the spinning portion off with a jeweler's screwdriver and dab a very small amount of silicon grease to eliminate all/any rattle.

Hope this helps.

BTW, if you try it and it does not gel with you, could I have them? Big Grin
I don't think there is anything 'natural' about throwing darts. A person does not naturally stand sideways, with weight more on one leg, lean forward and swing to launch a projectile repeatedly, day in, day out as part of daily routine. One does not even throw a rock or ball that way.    ~ With darts, everything has to be learnt, and refined.  Wink

A beginner - always experimenting and trying to learn! So I can fool around with loads of set-ups and techniques! Lol! Big Grin
(05-17-2015, 09:35 PM)Regulatori Wrote:
(05-17-2015, 04:45 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Not comparing L to Fit, but the L silent Carbons seems to me to be polycarb, albeit, very high quality, with only the prongs being carbon reinforced. I'm not sure really from the photos, but you could have a look here:

I did not know that....good info to have. I may have to give them one more chance. When the Silent shafts first came out, I ordered a set and was not impressed. The shop accidentally sent me 3 full sets and told me to keep the other 2...I ended up giving them away and it seemed no one else cared for them either. They're not bad if you're used to regular spinning flights from the past but they can't compare to Cosmos (in tightness).

I'll have to try out the carbon version..makes sense they would be tighter since carbon is harder/can be more precise. I'm currently using the Laro/Joker Driver carbon shafts and those could easily hold a set of folding flights tight without rings.

The fixed shafts are really quite impressive in a subtle way - feel, fit, material. But this is the opaque plastic ones I have used. I haven't tried the clear type of polycarbs yet, but there should be one white Carbon Silent that is made of the same material as the fixed L-styles*. The fixed L-Laro Carbon is also fairly impressive.

* First white opaque one - normal or slims. https://www.dartshive.jp/item/34238.html

Thanks guys for all comments and recommendations as well as votes

I think I'm going with Cosmo. Just two pieces as opposed to having to use the caps. I like using whitlocks but I have had them pop off and sometimes I just can't be bothered setting my Darts up with fixing the caps in. It's a very small thing but I like the Cosmo set up where you can quickly pop the flight on.

Also I think the carbon hybrid look real good!

I think it was juggers sig that pushed it for me Smile
[Image: fXeMWagh.png]
Yeah I really like how the hybrid look. I have a set of slims on the way and Im hoping Im happy enough with them to not buy the hybrids next.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mission Carbon Stems and L Style Caps Ancient Darter 5 378 12-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  L style carbon wobble Ed180 15 671 04-23-2019, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Ancient Darter
  Cosmo Carbon Shafts Dmott 57 18,776 10-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Geordie84
  Cosmo Carbon White Pearl? Levonster 5 690 09-20-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: Levonster
  L-Style or Cosmo? erickohwb 8 1,106 08-28-2018, 12:41 AM
Last Post: O C
  Cosmo l style carbon Ed180 5 738 06-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Last Post: karmacappa
  cosmo size 2 vs L-Style Short portsetonloyal 4 827 03-30-2018, 09:05 AM