Darts Nutz Darts Forum
Dart weight? - Printable Version

+- Darts Nutz Darts Forum (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum)
+-- Forum: DARTS PRACTICE, HELP AND IMPROVEMENT TIPS (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: Darts For Beginners (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Dart weight? (/showthread.php?tid=32536)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dart weight? - TheBigKahuna - 04-12-2018

I've always thrown 24-26oz darts. It's what I own. I admittedly haven't experimented with much else. But my GF recently started playing and likes using my darts. She has trouble getting much velocity on them. She's still learning and trying to develop her throw. But I can't help but wonder if she's be better with much lighter darts, 19-20 instead of my heavier ones? I've contemplated buying her some just so she can try. Opinions? How important is dart weight? Does it go up or down with more experience?

RE: Dart weight? - Jefferz - 04-12-2018

Many women prefer heavier darts because there is more momentum with them. She may find lighter darts will be harder to throw as they require more force.

RE: Dart weight? - wongerchi - 04-12-2018

Have you tried tinkering with setup first before changing dart weight?

RE: Dart weight? - TheBigKahuna - 04-12-2018

What do you mean by setup? Shaft length, flights?

All we've tinkered with is her throw mechanics. She has to concentrate on throwing from her chin, not across her body. That's aiming problem #1. But getting darts to fly with velocity and a lot less arc is another problem.

RE: Dart weight? - gumbo2176 - 04-12-2018

I agree with Jefferz. I find lighter darts do take more effort to get them to the board. I've tried darts as light as 18 gram and they just weren't doing anything I wanted them to do. I jumped back to my 25 gram darts and all was well again.

Watch videos of Stephen Bunting throwing his lightweight darts. It looks like he's trying to throw them through the board he puts so much effort in getting them to the board.

RE: Dart weight? - gumbo2176 - 04-12-2018

(04-12-2018, 08:58 PM)TheBigKahuna Wrote: What do you mean by setup? Shaft length, flights?

All we've tinkered with is her throw mechanics. She has to concentrate on throwing from her chin, not across her body. That's aiming problem #1. But getting darts to fly with velocity and a lot less arc is another problem.

Yep, changing set-up means different stems, flight shapes etc.    You'd be surprised how much different a dart will fly with different flights and stem configurations.

Velocity will probably come with practice as she gets more comfortable tossing the darts.   I'd think just starting out, she doesn't really have a good grasp on the mechanics of a throw and the importance of a nice follow through in how the dart flies.

RE: Dart weight? - ranger86 - 04-12-2018

Would agree that heavier darts are easier to throw. I am limited to soft tip leagues where I live so I have to throw 18-19 gram darts. I do, however, own several sets of steel tip that are 24-26 grams and they require far less effort to throw and in my opinion impart greater "feel" due to their weight.

I think wongerchi is talking about trying different flights and stem lengths. Generally, smaller flight (kite, etc.) have a bit less resistance through the air so the dart is "zippier". This is why I use smaller flights on my soft tip darts.

RE: Dart weight? - bkbum - 04-12-2018

(04-12-2018, 06:14 PM)Jefferz Wrote: Many women prefer heavier darts because there is more momentum with them. She may find lighter darts will be harder to throw as they require more force.

I've always wondered if there is a "goldilocks" range of momentum [dart weight x arm speed] that produces the best results.

RE: Dart weight? - Jefferz - 04-13-2018

(04-12-2018, 11:47 PM)bkbum Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 06:14 PM)Jefferz Wrote: Many women prefer heavier darts because there is more momentum with them. She may find lighter darts will be harder to throw as they require more force.

I've always wondered if there is a "goldilocks" range of momentum [dart weight x arm speed] that produces the best results.
I would guess around 21-23g.

RE: Dart weight? - bkbum - 04-13-2018

(04-13-2018, 12:00 AM)Jefferz Wrote:
(04-12-2018, 11:47 PM)bkbum Wrote:

I would guess around 21-23g.

Weight is only half the equation. You still need to determine the best arm speed for those weights.