Darts Nutz Darts Forum
Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Printable Version

+- Darts Nutz Darts Forum (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum)
+-- Forum: DARTS PRACTICE, HELP AND IMPROVEMENT TIPS (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forum-28.html)
+--- Forum: Darts For Beginners (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. (/thread-29606.html)

Pages: 1 2

Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Codes - 11-01-2017

So, hello again, I won’t do a complete introduction again but maybe a summery. All for the purpose of progress! I just started playing darts in August, basically because my friends are better than me. I’ve always wanted my own board and good set of darts but never had a good spot for it and the wife not wanting one hanging around. But I finally gave in. Bought a crappy used board and brass darts. I stuck to it long enough to invest in some nicer darts. And have since invested enough time to get a new dart board when I have some extra cash. Winmau blade 5 is on my radar. I have also got another friend hooked. Let’s see if he sticks to it. I think he will be pretty good if he does. 

I’m 28, 5,11 and am just starting darts. I’m not sure what the average age a dart player starts playing darts but am convinced I can be decent enough to beat my friends. All whom are older than me a little. I am an old soul though. 

I wanted to add, great website, great members and great advice. I’ve learned a lot from reading many different threads. I keep reminding myself to have fun, throw what’s comfortable for me and practice practice practice. 

Practice, the next big subject. I play on average 2 hours a day lately. Some days much more, others less. I try not to change to many ‘components’ of my throw or stance or grip etc during any practice session. I play 100darts@20 the most and a few matches of 501/301, cricket or around the clock throughout the week. Along with the odd (very depressing) doubles around the clock. But alas like most dart beginners I struggle with consistency . 

I throw a 24g Harrows I.C.E with short supergrip stems and standard flight. One thing I’ve noticed is I consistently throw higher than my target. I’ve been working on the components of my throw and would like to think I’m getting better but that double 20 when aiming at triple 20 gets a tad frustrating. I need to do another lengthy session comparing medium and short shafts but I want to try a lighter dart next. After I get a new dart board of course. To many things I need so little money. 

Next is more for my fellow Canadian dart players if they read this far :p . I’ve ordered twice from DartsCorner, 2nd time I registered an account. I got hit at the boarder with customs fees with my 2nd order. Was a little annoyed by that but even with the additional $22 I still saved a bit compared to the local dart store. I am wondering where most of you canucks are ordering your goods and is it still worth playing Russian roulette ordering from over the pond?

I will have to make another post at a later time looking for advice on my next dart but since my wife will kill me if I order one right now I better wait to even start looking. 

I just started using Pro-Darter to track my progress. I’ll post a screen of the last week and a half ish of my 100@20. It’s not pretty but I like to see the numbers. I’m open to suggestions on different practice sessions but I’m eager to get that 180 by the end of the year. Even if it’s my basement. Alone. With no one around. 

Well, I apologize for the long story, I’m sure I forgot something I wanted to yabber on about but I guess there is always another post. I’m going to try to keep this updated on what I’m trying,working on and if it’s working for me. And any advice or tips on some of the points above would be greatly appreciated. In the mean time I’ll keep doing what I’m doing.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Rod Dogg - 11-01-2017

take a look at godartspro.com

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Spencerdl - 11-01-2017

Welcome to Darts Nutz. I also ordered from Darts Corner (I'm in the USA) and I wasn't hit with any Custom Fees (yet), but this is my first order. I guess I will wait and see what the future brings. Enjoy the site.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - wongerchi - 11-01-2017

Welcome! Where in Ontario are you?

I guess is that everyone on here struggles for consistency, I know I do! Keep it up and more importantly have fun and you'll improve leaps and bounds. Have a look around here and try and keep some other routines in the arsenal so that you can change practise up a bit and not get bored.

In terms of equipment, Darts Corner is my "go-to" shop and I've only been hit with Customs duty once (strangely enough it was my 2nd order too!) I find it's a bit of a crapshoot as I've had orders from $30 to $130 come through with no problems. What you will have to play Russian Roulette with is the delivery times, I usually budget 2 weeks from order.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Codes - 11-01-2017

I’m in Bowmanville. Near Toronto. And yeah shipping 1st time was almost 4 weeks. 2nd was roughly 2 weeks. I don’t mind waiting now though since I have what I need to get by. But that 1st wait, waiting for my 1st ‘real’ darts to show up was killer.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Hellion - 11-02-2017

Nice read, looks like you have some decent talent there with a 50 average already! Some guys get all the luck, haha. Maybe we can morph our throws and my nose diving darts will level out your high flying darts lol. Your average might come down a bit though. Smile

Good luck man!

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Codes - 11-02-2017

If we could morph em I think I’d end up better. Just checked out your last practice session I think you’ve got me beat in a lot of areas. Time to throw a few darts!

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Hellion - 11-02-2017

(11-02-2017, 01:06 AM)Codes Wrote: If we could morph em I think I’d end up better. Just checked out your last practice session I think you’ve got me beat in a lot of areas. Time to throw a few darts!

Honestly, that was a good day for me. Check back tomorrow and I'll be struggling on doubles for hours lol.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Codes - 11-03-2017

Nothing seems to be working last 2 days. I’m mixing things up, I know it’s a bad idea. Nothing working right. I was better a month ago. Quit early tonight, I think I need a break and go back to basics. I tried to just have a nice relaxed throw, clean follow through but just nothing is working. I got a lot on my mind I think it’s affecting my throws. And no whiskey or beer in me, actually that’s probably the biggest problem. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my mind back into it. Confused

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - nightcrawler - 11-03-2017

You got pm !

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - elevendarter - 11-03-2017

(11-01-2017, 03:45 PM)Codes Wrote: I’m not sure what the average age a dart player starts playing darts...

I am wondering where most of you canucks are ordering your goods and is it still worth playing Russian roulette ordering from over the pond?

I’m open to suggestions on different practice sessions but I’m eager to get that 180 by the end of the year. Even if it’s my basement. Alone. With no one around. 

Every age is great age for starting having fun with darts.

What do you mean by Russian roulette? I have never considered buying darts stuff form classic darts eshops to be hazardeous. I reckon I have bought stuff from more than ten different eshops and several eBay accounts and never worried about my money.

No doubts about 180. You'll hit one sooner than you may think :-) If you are after some practice games, you may look at my excel spreadsheets (see my sig). The best way though to get 180 is playing 501. Look at no1 from nakka.com.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Codes - 11-03-2017

I didn’t mean being hazardous. I was talking about getting hit with additional Custums charges when I referred to ordering stuff being Russian roulette. Making it ‘almost’ worth while to find a local retailer or Canadian online retailers. But even with customs it’s still the better deal so far to order the lighter stuff online from uk or wherever. I’ve ordered many things online and never been worried about it being hazardous.

I’ll take a look into some of those practice games.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Codes - 11-07-2017

Well I’ve learned a lesson on trying not to get frustrated. In a 100@20 match I only hit the target once in 15 darts and was getting annoyed again. So mixed it up and played another around the clock, and got a new personal best. The point. Don’t let the last 3 darts effect your next 3 darts. Just keep throwing, you may be doin better than you think. I still need a ton of practice. And am a little discouraged by the very little improvements I’ve made. But won’t be quitting so hopefully I can only get better. And am happy for the new personal best. Attached are a couple of my better runs tonight. Not my best 100@20 but an average one. Which I’ll take.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Hellion - 11-07-2017

Nice singles game. I long for the day when we can hit any single first time. 50% has to be better than total beginner, that's what I'm telling myself anyway. Don't know about you, but I seem to blow hot and cold on 20s, sometimes I can be throwing at 20 for ages and suddenly realise I'm sticking in 2 out of 3 darts and hitting trebles quite regularly, then I'll start thinking about it and everything falls apart lol. I was dong the same on bull during my warm up yesterday, as soon as it occurred to me how well I was doing, it seemed like there was suddenly a brick wall covering it. The mental side of this game is incredibly tough.

RE: Another Beginner, Another Blog. Keeping track of progress. - Codes - 11-12-2017

Just keep practicing. Not much improvements. But I did play a round of cricket with a friend and shout double bull 3x. Probably my best throw yet. Wish it was a 180 but I’ll take it. I still can’t really believe it happened. Maybe a 180 by years end is possible if I get lucky.