Darts Nutz Darts Forum
Eclipse 2 HD (Update #2) - Pros and Cons - Printable Version

+- Darts Nutz Darts Forum (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ALL ABOUT DARTS (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Darts Reviews and Darts Products (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Forum: Dartboard Reviews (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+---- Thread: Eclipse 2 HD (Update #2) - Pros and Cons (/showthread.php?tid=22085)

Pages: 1 2 3

Eclipse 2 HD (Update #2) - Pros and Cons - Buckshot - 08-09-2016

I know Geta already did a review of this board thats a lot better and more detailed than mine. Blush  But because I heard a lot of different opinions on this board respectively Unicorn boards in general (I never owned a Unicorn board myself) I want to get an idea of it myself. 

This is just some first impressions after unpacking it, hanging it up and throwing a few darts. I guess I will do a update after a while.

Update #1: http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22085&pid=333621#pid333621
Update #2: http://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=22085&pid=345517#pid345517

[Image: Foto09.08.16101321.jpg]
[Image: Foto09.08.16101347.jpg]

The board looks very bright and has a high visibility. The new black ring and the white numbers are very eye-catching.

The problem is, when I took a closer look, I had to notice that almost all green segments are badly coloured. Approximately 75-80% of the green segments look like the ones on the photos below. I have seen that on other boards, but surely not to such vast extent. I am a bit shocked...

[Image: Foto09.08.16160728.jpg]
[Image: Foto09.08.16101817.jpg][Image: Foto09.08.16101431.jpg][Image: Foto09.08.16101404.jpg]

There are a few green segments with red colour in them as well...

[Image: Foto09.08.16181752.jpg]
[Image: Foto09.08.16181630.jpg]

To go on saying something positive about this board, the treble segments are definitely bigger than the ones of my old Gladiator II board. The biggest HD2 treble is almost 10mm while the biggest G2 treble is about 9.6 mm. The bullseye's are slightly different but are almost the same. Well, see it for yourself Big Grin

[Image: Foto09.08.16143436.jpg]
[Image: Foto09.08.16162134.jpg]
[Image: Foto09.08.16143335.jpg]
[Image: Foto09.08.16143411.jpg]
[Image: Foto09.08.16143348.jpg]
[Image: Foto09.08.16143404.jpg]

Now thats about the appearance of the board so far. I cant say much about the performance yet as I have only thrown a handful of darts. The only thing I perceived immediately is the softness of the board compared to my Gladiator II board. I think its a bit softer than the Blade 4 as well.

Thats it for the moment I guess. As already mentioned I will give a update in a couple of weeks. And maybe a conclusion at the end of the year or after 6 months of use.

[Image: Foto09.08.16184133.jpg]
Typical last dart lol Big Grin

Some last word about the colour issue:
Usually I am not the type of guy that complains about things like that. But considering the huge amount of segments being affected and the fact that this board costs about 60€ (About 60-70% more than a One80 Gladiator II or a Winmau Blade4) this is just not acceptable.

What surprises me the most is that Unicorn gives boards like that to retailers. Is there no quality control in this company? Is Unicorn not interested in refuting the bad reputation their boards have? 

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - ChrisTheFish - 08-09-2016

If it is even softer than the Blade then it will not be hanging up for me, my latest G2 is awesome but there will almost certainly be a G3 there when it is eventually released

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - joeriw96 - 08-09-2016

My Bulls advantage 3 also has similar spots like yours but only sideways (from segment to segment) and not as big it seems. Doesn't bother me really but I also was dissapointed at first.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - ChrisHarvey67 - 08-10-2016

Interesting review, but I won't nit-pick on some of the issues raised... +1

Suffice to say that personally, I love this board. Had just ONE wire bounce off after 2 months of use which I've simply never experienced before with any board. And it's nice and quiet, and just feels good and solid. Perhaps it doesn't heal quite as well as certain other boards, but I can live with that... And I can customise the numbers... Just what MORE can you ask for... ???

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - goonas - 08-10-2016

I've had the board since release, and I am just a newbie when it comes to darts (been playing a year now in the house), and I've done a decent job of killing the numbers, theres always a chip knocked out of one of them, to the point I've bought 4 replaceable sets and slowly been going through them too. The numbers you can buy to replace the original numbers seem thicker too and have given in less when being hit. I've also found a couple of cuts in the outter wire on mine. I never had any bounce outs until a few a couple of weeks ago.

Another thing with the numbers is that it is quite distracting if you've ever hit a number and its pinged off around the room.

I agree the colour bleed is pretty poor, for a product that is appearing on every TV set I'd have expected them to be a bit more up on the QC, as it is really apparent on TV too.

The board is really quiet too, so much more quiet than my Blade 4DC - the Blade 4DC in my setup used to disturb people in the house, but now with the HD2 no one notices which saves me ear ache.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - mc1958 - 08-10-2016

I got one a couple of weeks ago, and the only real issue I have with it is it is too big for my surround - I put my B4DC on top of it and the HD2 is about an inch or so bigger diameter wise so I'll have to wait until such time as I get myself a Unicorn surround before I can put it up.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - Getagrip - 08-10-2016

Nice one Buckshot Smile

I mentioned the colour issue but its not that the colours are badly applied as such its more a mis-alignment of the spider which they should be paying closer attention to. I think the colours are screen printed on the board first then the spider pressed over the top so the only way to sort it after that is to touch up the areas where its left a bit offline, that's what they should be doing really, would make a big difference having that little touching up.

I think the board is denser than the B4DC though, I can put my nail into the B4DC easily but it does not go in as easy on the HD2 and I think the looser sisal on the B4DC is what heals the holes quicker, but of course I could be wrong, we need to think of a foolproof way to test the density I think, but there could also be slight variations from board to board.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - Zsocca - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 08:28 AM)goonas Wrote: I've had the board since release, and I am just a newbie when it comes to darts (been playing a year now in the house), and I've done a decent job of killing the numbers, theres always a chip knocked out of one of them, to the point I've bought 4 replaceable sets and slowly been going through them too. The numbers you can buy to replace the original numbers seem thicker too and have given in less when being hit. I've also found a couple of cuts in the outter wire on mine. I never had any bounce outs until a few a couple of weeks ago.

Another thing with the numbers is that it is quite distracting if you've ever hit a number and its pinged off around the room.

I agree the colour bleed is pretty poor, for a product that is appearing on every TV set I'd have expected them to be a bit more up on the QC, as it is really apparent on TV too.

The board is really quiet too, so much more quiet than my Blade 4DC - the Blade 4DC in my setup used to disturb people in the house, but now with the HD2 no one notices which saves me ear ache.

(08-10-2016, 08:43 AM)mc1958 Wrote: I got one a couple of weeks ago, and the only real issue I have with it is it is too big for my surround - I put my B4DC on top of it and the HD2 is about an inch or so bigger diameter wise so I'll have to wait until such time as I get myself a Unicorn surround before I can put it up.

So guys, I'm still hesitate, which 1 is better for my light throw and light darts? Blade 4 Dual core tech. or the softer Uni?

Btw, Nice review easy +1 Smile

My opinion Zsocca is you wouldn't have any problems with either board - my throw isn't excessively hard and I had no problems with either, although I only had a couple of throws at the HD2.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - Zsocca - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 10:01 AM)mc1958 Wrote: My opinion Zsocca is you wouldn't have any problems with either board - my throw isn't excessively hard and I had no problems with either, although I only had a couple of throws at the HD2.

Thx MC, good to hear this. Uni has nice numbers but I had bad exp. with the company in the past so maybe I will give a chance to DC.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - Buckshot - 08-10-2016

(08-09-2016, 08:48 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: If it is even softer than the Blade then it will not be hanging up for me, my latest G2 is awesome but there will almost certainly be a G3 there when it is eventually released
I played on a Blade4 on the weekend and I would say the HD2 is a bit softer.

(08-10-2016, 09:37 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Nice one Buckshot Smile

I mentioned the colour issue but its not that the colours are badly applied as such its more a mis-alignment of the spider which they should be paying closer attention to.  I think the colours are screen printed on the board first then the spider pressed over the top so the only way to sort it after that is to touch up the areas where its left a bit offline, that's what they should be doing really, would make a big difference having that little touching up.

I think the board is denser than the B4DC though, I can put my nail into the B4DC easily but it does not go in as easy on the HD2 and I think the looser sisal on the B4DC is what heals the holes quicker, but of course I could be wrong, we need to think of a foolproof way to test the density I think, but there could also be slight variations from board to board.
Yes, you are right. Its not the colouring, its the way they press the spider into the sisal. Anyway, it should not look like mine considering its advertised like the greatest board of all time. If it were a board for 25€ I would not complain. 

I think you cant really compare the density. We dont know the conditions in the warehouses where the boards are stored. I think it can make a difference whether the board lays around for months in room with 40% or 50% humidity.

(08-10-2016, 09:53 AM)Zsocca Wrote: So guys, I'm still hesitate, which 1 is better for my light throw and light darts? Blade 4 Dual core tech. or the softer Uni?

Btw, Nice review easy +1 Smile

If I were you I would stick to a good old Winmau Blade4. To me the dual core is nonsense. Its not much more long-lasting, its not a lot more quiet... its just a lot more expensive than the Blade4.

I really dont like the development of prices for dartboard. Performance and quality are definitely not proportional related to the price increase. I think the HD2 and the Blade4 DC are about 33% more expensive than their predecessors. From what I heard the new Gladiator III will be in the same range compared to the Gladiator II.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - Kev - 08-10-2016

Nice one Buckshot. I love the (bright) colors of this board, but the badly colored parts are disappointing. Would be nice to see how the board holds up and heals over time.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - JayKay - 08-10-2016

Thanks Buckshot! I was considering this board but I'm going to swerve it. Fot that price I'd expect near perfection and I get that from the much cheaper Blade 4.

May try the G3 when it comes out though.

playing in league I think I've tried near all main boards and the Blade 4 is by far the best. G2 following in second with everything no where near these two. for me it is between the Bulls and Unicorn as the worse for the main boards (I hate playing on the bulls boards!)

(08-10-2016, 11:11 AM)JayKay Wrote: Thanks Buckshot! I was considering this board but I'm going to swerve it. Fot that price I'd expect near perfection and I get that from the much cheaper Blade 4.

playing in league I think I've tried near all main boards and the Blade 4 is by far the best. G2 following in second with everything no where near these two. for me it is between the Bulls and Unicorn as the worse for the main boards (I hate playing on the bulls boards!)

I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't like Bull's boards lol.  I threw my Advantage III away after about a week as it was rock hard - every other dart was dropping out of the board (even with scuffing my points), and when they did stick in they were all at different angles - loads of people say it is the best board out there but I think it's worse than any other board I've played on, including old round wire boards.

RE: Eclipse 2 HD - Pros and Cons (A Little Review) - JayKay - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 11:18 AM)mc1958 Wrote:
(08-10-2016, 11:11 AM)JayKay Wrote: Thanks Buckshot! I was considering this board but I'm going to swerve it. Fot that price I'd expect near perfection and I get that from the much cheaper Blade 4.

I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't like Bull's boards lol.  I threw my Advantage III away after about a week as it was rock hard - every other dart was dropping out of the board (even with scuffing my points), and when they did stick in they were all at different angles - loads of people say it is the best board out there but I think it's worse than any other board I've played on, including old round wire boards.

Same problem I have had and all that I know in Germany hate Bulls boards too. Most have now converted to B4 but some still have Unicorn and Bulls.

I would much prefer to play on a Unicorn board than a Bulls board actually, I throw hard at the board and I was stuill struggling massively with the bulls advantage boards