Darts Nutz Darts Forum

Full Version: Non permanent lighting solution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heya,

There is a board at work that I sometimes use. It's in a cabinet in the main canteen. In the day it's fine but in the evening the lighting in the room is awful and too dim. There is a fixed spotlight above it but it dazzles you when you throw and is just too old. 

Rather than try to apply to get the light above the board changed I'm after a light I can take over with me and clip on then remove when I'm done. Mains powered is fine as there is a plug socket directly beneath the board. 

Any suggestions or something someone is using that does the job.
Viper shadow buster . . . . AmaZon
Or Walmart has Some lights with clips ...you can clip it on one of the cabinets doors and point it towards the board
I use these spotlights from IKEA, you can bend them to point in any direction, they clamp on and stay in position, they're mains powered and £12 each

[Image: naevlinge-led-clamp-spotlight-black__071...5.JPG?f=sg]
Obviously I don't want to spend too much as it's only for occasional use. Needs to be in the UK too.
If you have somewhere to store it after use what about a Target Corona - mains operated and just clips to the rim of the board by magnets.
No where to store it and too pricey for the odd occasion I would use it.
The one I linked to is available in the UK!
(05-30-2020, 09:54 AM)GT50 Wrote: [ -> ]The one I linked to is available in the UK!

Would 1 be enough?  Only one socket.
I'd go Amazon & search clip on lighting, see whats there
push bike lamp
blob of blu-tack/chewing gum
cut up bottle/
aluminium foil

MacGyver doesn't carry a spot lamp but he is always ready to play darts - even in low light conditions.
(05-30-2020, 12:58 PM)Hazza Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2020, 09:54 AM)GT50 Wrote: [ -> ]The one I linked to is available in the UK!

Would 1 be enough?  Only one socket.

I use two one either side of the board, I fitted a strip of wood across the top of the cabinet and mounted one either side, pointing down at the board.  On another board I mounted them on top of the cabinet doors.  All you need is a double plug adaptor for two!
(05-30-2020, 01:41 AM)Hazza Wrote: [ -> ]Heya,

There is a board at work that I sometimes use. It's in a cabinet in the main canteen. In the day it's fine but in the evening the lighting in the room is awful and too dim. There is a fixed spotlight above it but it dazzles you when you throw and is just too old. 

Rather than try to apply to get the light above the board changed I'm after a light I can take over with me and clip on then remove when I'm done. Mains powered is fine as there is a plug socket directly beneath the board. 

Any suggestions or something someone is using that does the job.

Maybe check what bulb is in the existing spot light, if its a high powered halogen, try and get one of a lower wattage, or, change it for an led one (which, also, give a good white colored light) ? 

Dont know if you might need permission to change the bulb, but, it seems the easiest solution to me.

My own light at home, is a simple (desk light, on a clamp type bracket) with an led bulb in it, although, it tends to cast a bit of a shadow, it is not really a big problem for me and it was only about 5 or 6 quid. 

Although 2 might have been better, it does the job.

Some kind of flexible desk light, might, also, do the trick for you, there too.

If changing the bulb isnt an option, first.

Those  pictures where taken in fairly low light with no other lights on, hence the shadow behind the board, darts tend to cast a bit of a shadow as well, but, I am happy to use it (personally) and its a very simple and cheap solution.

[Image: SWhuwdZ.jpg][Image: 9Okn2y0.jpg]
Thanks for the replies everyone, clip lights could be the way to go
(05-30-2020, 07:35 PM)Hazza Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the replies everyone, clip lights could be the way to go

Its funny you raised the issue, because, locally the dart teams (in this area) tend to use lights that dazzle me (if I am honest).

I suspect they probably have halogen light bulbs in them.

They tend to be ceiling mounted lights with halogen bulbs in, very close to the board (ie) under 10 feet or so.

I much prefer a light which isnt quite as bright and would probably prefer to throw in low light, than with an overly bright halogen bulb.

In fact i used to prefer the un lit practice board, with the over head spot lamp turned off and just ambient light to see the board.

My home set up used to have a halogen spot light from a second source as pictured below to cancel out some of the shadows (from the darts) but, it ended up broken one night by someone after much alcohol (no it wasnt me lol).

It was also placed around 20 foot from the board (pointed at the bull) maybe the overly bright light could be because it is too close, to the dart board, so, is, in effect reflecting some light back.

I think many venues have the spot light a bit too bright (for me at any rate).

I guess for people in competition, they might have to get used to bright lighting (and sometimes variable lighting) it is probably a part of the dart scene, depending on the venue / venues.

The top most consistent players can likely throw a dart under wildly varying lighting (which I know, I cannot do).

I think you might have raised a good point.

Maybe you should play and adapt on that board with the overly bright light, because, you are likely to come across one on your travels, at some point in the future (who knows, it might be a bit of a learning experience, in how to, which, might one day give you an edge). Not all the time obviously, but, you could use it every now and again as is, to do just that.

This was my old, second light in the far left corner of the room (to the left of the oche) the spot light was used by pointing it at the bull, on a dimmer switch to adjust the brightness (before it got broken). It worked quite well an all.

The wires which snapped, ran through the hollow tubes.
Pages: 1 2